Thread: Earth's Moon 9-8-06

Earth's Moon 9-8-06

September 8, 2006

Meade 5" refractor, Miranda Sensorex with 2x convertor, Fuji 800 asa film, 1/500 sec. exposure. Two images aligned and blended with Photoshop CS2.

Michael
    Mount Washington Valley Astronomy

Beautiful!

Meade 5" refractor

Hi Michael - is your Meade 5" refractor the AR-5 model? If so, I have the identical 'scope. For "just" an acromat, I've been very pleased with the images I've seen through it. There is some color fringing, but for the price it's pretty decent. I got it on eBay through Meade's Factory Outlet section as one of their closeout bargains - it is supposed to be from their earlier LXD55 series, but it has the collimatable front cell which comes standard on the LXD75 series. I've upgraded it with a Moonlite Crayford focuser, and that really made it very nice to work with.

Great image - thanks for posting it!

Paul

Excellent image!! Thanks for posting.

Phil

hi Michael,

very nicely done!
    that reminds of those days when I was doing film-astrophotogfaphy.
    it was challenging but exciting. when developing the images in the lab we were always most curious if the focus was perfect, the contrast, the exposure time right,...well - I`m glad I have my ccd and ps right now.
    Your image is very precious cos You really had quite an effort - much more than the digital capturers...
    best
    Diets

6. 2007-Feb-26, 01:48 PM

Quote Originally Posted by AutoClub View Post
    Hi Michael - is your Meade 5" refractor the AR-5 model? If so, I have the identical 'scope. For "just" an acromat, I've been very pleased with the images I've seen through it. There is some color fringing, but for the price it's pretty decent. I got it on eBay through Meade's Factory Outlet section as one of their closeout bargains - it is supposed to be from their earlier LXD55 series, but it has the collimatable front cell which comes standard on the LXD75 series. I've upgraded it with a Moonlite Crayford focuser, and that really made it very nice to work with.

Great image - thanks for posting it!

Paul
    My scope is a LXD55, that I have attached a short tube 80mm guide scope to. I also purchased it through Meade's closeout sales and have been very happy with it. The mount is from an old 6" reflector I owned and with some additional wieght has work fine though it is a little light duty. Hopefully I can up grade.
    Clear Skies,
    Michael