Thread: "Hi-Res" Video of Apollo 16 Rover "Grand Prix?"

"Hi-Res" Video of Apollo 16 Rover "Grand Prix?"

I'm working on updating my "Why We Did Not Not Go to the Moon" presentation, especially since I'll be giving it as a lecture on Wednesday.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a decent resolution video of the Apollo 16 "grand prix" maneuver, where the lunar rover is seen kicking up a heck of a lot of dust (I also want to try calculating the gravity based upon the trajectory to "prove" that it was done on the moon). The best quality I can find, surprisingly, comes from that FOX "documentary."

Other online sources that have it that I found are http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a16/video16.html#grandprix and http://www.lpi.usra.edu/expmoon/Apol...face_EVA1.html , but both of these are less than half the resolution from the FOX thing.

Anyone know where I can find what I'm searching for?
    Last edited by stu; 2007-Feb-26 at 07:24 PM.

Hmmm.... since we DID go to the Moon and the folks here KNOW we went to the Moon, you are not likely to get support for any such presentation of lies and stupidity.

Here's an idea.

Stop basing what you believe on a piece of crass, misguided television dross, do your own research, collect your own data and perhaps - just perhaps - you might might learn enough to realise what a patently idiotic idea it is that you're peddling.

If not, you'd best steer well clear of any hi-res video such as the one you mention, since the video proves beyond doubt that it was filmed in a vaccuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam View Post
    Hmmm.... since we DID go to the Moon and the folks here KNOW we went to the Moon, you are not likely to get support for any such presentation of lies and stupidity.

Here's an idea.

Stop basing what you believe on a piece of crass, misguided television dross, do your own research, collect your own data and perhaps - just perhaps - you might might learn enough to realise what a patently idiotic idea it is that you're peddling.

If not, you'd best steer well clear of any hi-res video such as the one you mention, since the video proves beyond doubt that it was filmed in a vaccuum.
    Your insults are not necessary, required, nor merited. This is a presentation on disproving the hoax claims, not proving them. I posted it here several months ago ( http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=50821 ) if you don't believe me. Hence the title of "Why We Did Not Not go to the Moon;" perhaps you should pay more attention to the double negative, since the presentation is aimed at disproving hoax claims rather than proving we went to the moon. That's why I want the video, to show that the dust could not have been under Earth's gravity.

Your forth-comming apology is accepted.

You beat me to it. I was just editing my post to apologise for being pre-emptive, judgemental and clearly mistaken about your intent. Clearly I need to go to sleep. Please accept my apology

I misread the title too.

From reading about your wanting of calculations about the dust falling- and from the fact that I have read your posts before, i figured the title was a typo.

Then after reading tyour response to OCcam i saw that i had made the same mistake

So don't feel too bad Occam

I would expect Spacecraft Films would have it on DVD.

Fred
    "For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    I misread the title too. (SNIP)
    Me too! I was on the same bad track as Occam. Itīs so easy to misunderstand . But Iīm pretty sure, Occam and stu have come to the same conclusion.

It's human nature to delete unnecessarily repeated words in your head that appear on the page (or screen, in this case). Trust me; it's one of the most frequent errors I corrected as a copy editor. I had to train myself to spot them as often as possible; I'm sure I miss it occasionally.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Reminds me of "Attack of The The Eye People," as seen on MST3K.

You can see some of the footage in this Youtube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npARfNtO7u8

Contact the author, SVector. He'll probably direct towards the Spacecraft films DVD.

Your use of a double negative was also missed by me, Stu.
    Very clever indeed!

Doesn't the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal have clips like the one you're looking for?

A unsolicited suggestion

Hey Stu, can a give you an unsolicited suggestion?

Underline or bold one of the 'not's

("Why We Did Not Not Go to the Moon")

Might make it easier. I missed it too.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Your insults are not necessary, required, nor merited. This is a presentation on disproving the hoax claims, not proving them. I posted it here several months ago ( http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=50821 ) if you don't believe me. Hence the title of "Why We Did Not Not go to the Moon;" perhaps you should pay more attention to the double negative, since the presentation is aimed at disproving hoax claims rather than proving we went to the moon. That's why I want the video, to show that the dust could not have been under Earth's gravity.

Your forth-comming apology is accepted.
    Stu - I created a little clip of the Grand Prix on my YouTube account:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npARfNtO7u8

My source was the Apollo 16 DVD set from Spacecraft Films. It's available on Amazon.com.

Can we get a Mod to change this threads title to
    "Who can read Stu's title?"

Thanks, SVector. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Is there any way I can actually save that file to embed in the presentation?

Quote Originally Posted by Grand_Lunar View Post
    Doesn't the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal have clips like the one you're looking for?
    Yes, it's one of the links I posted in the original post. The resolution of that clip, though, is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It's human nature to delete unnecessarily repeated words in your head that appear on the page (or screen, in this case). Trust me; it's one of the most frequent errors I corrected as a copy editor. I had to train myself to spot them as often as possible; I'm sure I miss it occasionally.
    I'm sure I miss it occasionally
    although itīs off-topic: Iīm sure you donīt

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Thanks, SVector. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Is there any way I can actually save that file to embed in the presentation?
    If you PM me with your email address I'll just send you the .avi. You'll probably want to edit out my captions however.

Be advised though, that my version is only rendered to 320x240 resolution, since that's what YT requests. Your end product would be much better if you were to extract the original footage from the DVD like I did, and then render it as a full-res 720x480 clip. This will make quite a difference if you'll be presenting it as something larger than a small window on a computer monitor.

Whenever I want to deliberately repeat a word, I try to put one of them in the form of a contraction.

In this case, you might want to make it: "Why We Didn't Not Go to the Moon."

Or not not.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post
    Or not not.
    Who's there?

Runs and hides....

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    Who's there?
    Jurevicius.