Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Change for Conspiracy Theory section: only space and astronomy

New Change for Conspiracy Theory section: only space and astronomy

Phil and I have talked it over, and we feel that the Conspiracy Theory section of the forum is starting to get out of hand. If you take a look through the CT section, easily half of the stories on the homepage are about 9/11, and have nothing to do with space and astronomy.

So, effective immediately, we're instituting the same policy that we have for the Against the Mainstream Section...

... only post topics relating to space and astronomy.

We'll start closing up topics on Friday, and from this point on, any threads which aren't specifically about space-related conspiracy theories will be closed immediately.

Thanks!

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

Oh, joy, joy, it's back to the Apollo hoax, Planet X, Cydonia, and Area 51, and all the great space and astronomy conspiracies of old! Quality returns.

Adios, 9-11. Farewell, Warren Commission. Sayonara, Sasquatch.
    Last edited by 01101001; 2007-Jan-25 at 07:45 AM.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...

farewell spocks conspiracy of science, well after this round ends.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

Good work - there are plenty of places for those discussions already.

Of course there is still the "theory" that 911 was the work of reptile space aliens

I am LOVING this rule change!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post

Oh, joy, joy, it's back to the Apollo hoax, Planet X, Cydonia, and Area 51, and all the great space and astronomy conspiracies of old! Quality returns.
    Indeed, I prefer those topics to those of recent memory.

Quality returns?
    You see more quality in the claims of Apollo CTs than in those of 911 CTs?
    We just get less junk.

How about also applying the other rules from ATM on this part, such as being required to back up statements, answer direct questions and to make points in more than a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    How about also applying the other rules from ATM on this part, such as being required to back up statements, answer direct questions and to make points in more than a link?
    That's part of the Rule 13 change. It is now entitled:

13. Alternative Concepts and Conspiracy Theories
    It appears to me to be reworded to include space and astronomy conspiracies as another facet of ATM:

If you have some idea which goes against commonly-held astronomical theory, or think UFOs are among us, then you are welcome to argue it here. Before you do, though READ THIS THREAD FIRST. This is very important. Then, if you still want to post your idea, you will do so politely, you will not call people names, and you will defend your arguments. Direct questions must be answered in a timely manner.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...

OK, thanks. So that means that if Spock wants to propose his "nobody ever went to the moon" idea, the thread would look a lot different than his previous threads. An encouraging thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post

Adios, 9-11. Farewell, Warren Commission. Sayonara, Sasquatch.
    With a little luck, we'll see some new space conspiracies come out...some of those classics are starting to feel a little retread.

Maybe WMAP or something fresh...

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
    With a little luck, we'll see some new space conspiracies come out...some of those classics are starting to feel a little retread.

Maybe WMAP or something fresh...
    Planet X to the Z Xzibit, is that fresh (fresh, exciting) enough for you?

Only CT's concerning space and astronomy eh?
    Well, 9/11 theories are concerning the *space* around ground zero. :-D Shouldn't that read "outer space and astronomy"?
    Attack of the symantics!

But honestly, good move BAUT. I'm kinda suprised this wasn't already a rule. Just wonder how long it will take for the 9/11 CT'ers to realise that we're not part of the "conspiracy" but this just isn't the place to discuss it. It's funny that they get mad over being censored here at BAUT, as there's plenty of more suitable "venues" for thier rambling. It seems it's thier mission to convince the astro-enthusists of the world that the government is evil. Oh well, good riddance!

Attack of the symantics!
    counterattack of spelling: semantics

Counter-counterattack of grammar: punctuation and capitalisation!

Ouch! I've been hit! But i can't tell if it was by a 747 or by the themite det-packs that were installed at birth. Regardless I'm going down faster and slower than free-fall. AAiieeeeeee!!!

...Sorry, had to get that in before the new rule comes into effect

Even the way he had it was right. I finally up and uninstalled Norton Internet Security because it was the most abusively controlling software I've ever used. I refuse ever again to use another software that tells me how I can use my machine.

"Symantics" is not in my dictionary. Symantec also isn't, but that is the way they spell it indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    Phil and I have talked it over, and we feel that the Conspiracy Theory section of the forum is starting to get out of hand. If you take a look through the CT section, easily half of the stories on the homepage are about 9/11, and have nothing to do with space and astronomy.

So, effective immediately, we're instituting the same policy that we have for the Against the Mainstream Section...

We'll start closing up topics on Friday, and from this point on, any threads which aren't specifically about space-related conspiracy theories will be closed immediately.

Thanks!
    It makes perfect sense to me, even though Bautforum and the JREF Forum are the best for debunking 9/11 conspiracy theories. I support your decision.

I assume and hope the 9/11 threads will be preserved for posterity. There is a wealth of excellent posts from many who participated here - and maybe here alone - that those who write the history and post-mortem of the 9/11 Denial Movement can make excellent use of. I think, in particular, of JayUtah's posts which are worthy of being published in toto as a book on their own merit.

I agree Sky King. I thought at least some of the 9/11 threads were pretty interesting. One could say that some of the 9/11 CTs were pretty silly and were often repetitive, but you could also say that about the moon landing hoax too. I will not, however, miss the more "philosophic" threads.

But this place is not a democracy, and we are all guests of our benevolent leaders. I can live with their decision.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post

Thanks!
    Smartest move I've seen yet, good call.

So where will the CTs go now to cry we we censored debate just because they were winning?

I, too, welcome our new insect overlo....I mean, the new policies. There's plenty of web for the 9-11 junk. I do think there is some overlap, though. Sometimes to talk about a "theory" like the iron sun thing you have to get into sciences that aren't strictly astrophysics. And much of the Apollo discussion is basically engineering, with a little photography. So we may have to watch how far we let threads stray when they need to explore something like behavior of film in re the size of highlights in an Apollo photograph, and so forth.

(And speaking of grammar, that sentence above needs to be put out of its misery.)

I support the change too, though I'll miss the lunacy (pun not intended) of the 9/11 and other conspiracy threads.

However, I'd like to ask: why the "Have a nice day" remark in all the thread-closing posts? Comes across as pretty snarky to me. Sort of a "Nyahh nyahh, fun's over" kind of feel to it.

Since the thread on the LHC is still open, I suppose the rules will allow for science-related conspiracies?

Quote Originally Posted by Argos View Post
    Since the thread on the LHC is still open, I suppose the rules will allow for science-related conspiracies?
    That's a bit of a grey area just now - do we allow "Einstein stole {insert favourite victim here}'s ideas!" or "We'd all have free energy today if the {insert favourite villian here} hadn't suppressed Tesla's discoveries!" or similar conspiracy theories (if that's what they are)?

Personally, I'd get rid of them too.

The LHC one is a little different, in that one can use good astronomy to challenge it (i.e. the daily rain of cosmic rays, on the Earth, millions (billions? more??) of which have more energy than the LHC will ever be able to produce).

The two, things, you were talking about are not conspiracy theories. They're baseless accusations.

EDIT: So yeah, they wouldn't have fit in here anyways.

Is Planet X really a CT?

I mean, there are mainstream astronomers actively searching for it, no?
    Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two has the greater view?

Baut friggin time!

A good decision guys.

No threads will be deleted; they will just be locked. Over time they'll drop off the bottom of the list, but they will always be in the database.

Quote Originally Posted by A.DIM View Post
    Is Planet X really a CT?

I mean, there are mainstream astronomers actively searching for it, no?
    Planet X as in Zecharia Sitchin, yes.