Thread: Extreme Ultraviolet Explorer is falling from the sky

Evidently, the 7-1/2 Ton Extreme Ultraviolet Explorer [EUVE] is going to crash land sometime tonight, beginning at approximately 11 P.M., EST. Everybody has to DUCK! EUVE went many years beyond its mission, so it is time for it to come down in a planned crash landing, expected to be far from metropolitan areas (hopefully) in a wide area encircling the Earth on either side of the Equator.

To get some real, rather than my somewhat misinformed, information about it, try:

Extreme Ultraviolet Explorer:
    http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/euve/euve.html

I think I will begin by hiding under my bed, just in case EUVE takes off on its own in my direction!

ljbrs [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljbrs on 2002-01-30 20:02 ]</font>

New world record! BANNED on first post! Take that Miflitz.

Kaptain K, I think that poster has been banned many times, under different names.

As to the OP, the BA included the info in his recent newsletter (shameless plug). I think it is interesting that the NASA website still shows the warning that it will re-enter at 11:25pm EST, last night, with confirmation supposedly to occur eight hours later.

The predicted re-entry location is 28.2 degrees north latitude, 50.7 degrees east longitude, which is yikes the Persian Gulf near Kuwait and Iran.

NASA Says Satellite Hits Earth

...over the Persian Gulf (not my first choice, frankly).

Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Well. . . Anyone on this site happen to be in Europe or thereabouts last night??? Bet this thing made a heck of a blaze going across the sky! Let's hear about it!

On 2002-01-31 12:25, Wally wrote:
    Well. . . Anyone on this site happen to be in Europe or thereabouts last night??? Bet this thing made a heck of a blaze going across the sky! Let's hear about it!
    Also anyone in Mexico, Central America, and a large portion of South America, might have seen it.

The NASA website said earlier today that it landed in Egypt. No confirmed pieces making it down.

Thanks for all of the URLs. I hope that EUVE did not hit any populated areas. It is always a shame to learn of the end of such a wonderful mission. I understand that EUVE long outlasted its expected lifetime.

ljbrs [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

So, any reports of fricaseed camel? After all, Skylab supposedly got an Aussie cow when it came down. Surely some Egyptian can put in a claim that NASA just eradicated his prize-winning racing camel? [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The (hey, who EUVEd my camel?) Curtmudgeon

So, any reports of fricaseed camel? After all, Skylab supposedly got an Aussie cow when it came down. Surely some Egyptian can put in a claim that NASA just eradicated his prize-winning racing camel?
    Camels are well known to have nasty dispositions. Lucky for Egypt that none of the pieces have been confirmed as landing. Their camels might have gone on a rampage. However, Egypt has a lot of desert, so if anything did hit the Earth, we would have to borrow some of those nasty beasts to find the pieces of EUVE. Of course, our military probably has more comfortable means for traversing deserts for such purposes. But our soldiers are *busy elsewhere* at the moment.

ljbrs [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]