Thread: Persistent grey/black spot in my vision

Persistent grey/black spot in my vision

I have noticed a persistent greyish/black spot in the vision of one of my eyes. Could this be the start of macular degeneration? Doesn't really bother me in that I've had it for years and it hasn't gotten any worse. Do people normally have small 'blind' spots in their eyesight?

Quote Originally Posted by banquo's_bumble_puppy View Post
    I have noticed a persistent greyish/black spot in the vision of one of my eyes. Could this be the start of macular degeneration? Doesn't really bother me in that I've had it for years and it hasn't gotten any worse. Do people normally have small 'blind' spots in their eyesight?
    Do a search for "floaties" on here. there was a discussion a few months back about what these are. I think they are scratches on the lens of the eye. I have a rather large one on my right eye, just off center enough that as I try to look at it, it seems to move around to the side.

As for a blind spot, yes all eyes have them, but they are not likely to be noticed. Sit in a dark room with a small led display, like from a clock. You'll need to get a good distance away from it, maybe 8 to 10 feet. COver one eye, then sloly move the other eye around the room. You will hit a spot where the display vanishes completely unless you moves your eye a tiny bit in any direction. I want to say you need to look slightly below and just to the "outside" of the light.

By outside I mean to the left if you ue your left eye, or the right if you use your right; away from the centerline of the body.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

I would advise you to see a doctor, just in case.

You should see an optometrist immediately. If he or she spots a problem, you may get a referral to an opthalmologist (MD who specializes in eyes).

Many eye problems can be treated successfully, but you shouldn't rely on advice you read on an internet forum. Your vision is precious, don't take chances!

By the way, "floaters" are not what you've described. They're caused by dead cells and other junk in the eye's vitreous humor, not scratches on the lens. They move, so if your blind spot is fixed within your field of vision it's not a floater. (I've had floaters for years, they're no big deal.)

I have floaties, lots of them. I also have a black/grey spot, something like a darker, more pronounced floaty. It's a burn mark in my eye. It is permanent, but due to an outside source, so no risk of it growing or anything.

If you don't know how come you developped a (relatively) severe floatie like thing or spot, you should see a professional. If you do now how come and it occured recently, you should also see a professional.

"If you've got eye problems, see a professional while you still can." A good thing there are no shock commercials on eye problems .

So do go to a professional, but if it's been constant for years it may very well be damage due to an outside source. You don't have to notice that immediately; I only noticed it when going back to school, that is when reading again.

Now I'm used to all the dirt in my vision. I only notice it once in a while.

bbp, I have one of those, too. I noticed it a couple years ago and went to my optometrist. What it is was a burst blood vessel at the back of my eyeball.

The whole thing turned out kind of funny, in a scary way - he said there appeared to be quite a bit of broken vessels, and that it could be an indication of developing diabetic glaucoma. He suggested I should go to a physician and get a full work-up - now. Since my dad had diabetes, I was a little freaked out.

But, I went to a physician and had a full work-up. While waiting for those results, my wife - always a little more pro-active than I - made an appointment for me to see an opthalmologist.

The opthalmologist looked in my eye and said, "Ah, that's nothing. If it looks like it's getting worse, come back in and see me, but otherwise it's nothing to worry about." Needless to say, the results from my tests all came back fine - no signs of diabetes.

I kind of wanted to go back to my optometrist and smack him for scaring me like that.

That being said, you probably should have a doctor take a look at it.