Thread: Simply space

Simply space

Space is everywhere. Almost everything in nothing as it is empty space,. from an inter stellar point (or event some might say) to an entire oil tanker.

It seems to me that empty space is an existace of its own. Perhaps some medium or space-time continuum, but it still leaves me bedazzeled,. for want of a better word ,.

Does anyone know anything or have any theory on this?, Or is it an abstraction that is simply a non-existance-existance...?

This is a difficult question to just answer; There is so much mater in this universe yet it still is almost empty but, for a great deal of space. What is this 'space'. Let me first sagest what it is not. It is not a gas filled void. That we might call a gas cloud or nebular. Any particle however small is not space. Whether it be electrically charged particles or the smallest parts of atomic structure. The word space is all that empty space between objects. Looking deeper into space we might imagine a area as yet beyond this expanding universe. The truth is we have no perception of what that is ( or is not ) The word space would seem inadequate for this purpose. I like the word void.
    I Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by -Jove2- View Post
    ..Almost everything in nothing as it is empty space,. from an inter stellar point (or event some might say) to an entire oil tanker...
    I'm having trouble following your question. Clearly you've only recently started trying articulate a new idea for you, and you don't have the vocabulary together to express it yet, but I'm sure that will come.

You seem to be asking about what makes space. Do you imagine that you can abstract some tiniest nodule that makes space exist, but doesn't need to be described as having a spatial extent of its own?
    Forming opinions as we speak

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by -Jove2- View Post
    Space is everywhere. Almost everything in nothing as it is empty space,. from an inter stellar point (or event some might say) to an entire oil tanker.

It seems to me that empty space is an existace of its own. Perhaps some medium or space-time continuum, but it still leaves me bedazzeled,. for want of a better word ,.

Does anyone know anything or have any theory on this?, Or is it an abstraction that is simply a non-existance-existance...?

Hyperspace or void, yes something that is fixed and yet less than nothing.

This would have to be a fascinating area to explore but how do you get into it and not just pass right through? In space the vaccuum would be the problem but what of hyperspace?

One of the ideas I had when I thought I was just playing with little tubes on a quantum level was how to make a big one. Say a kilometre tube zero temperature pure vaccuum and no stresses, pass a short tube through the middle say 10 metres long and I thought you could walk one end to the other and arrive more quickly than taking the long way. No problem seeing it like a window walking through it but there would have to be position in it.

So if a person was in the middle instead of being at one end or the other then that would have to be strange to say the least. Would you be able to see out the ends watch people enter appear to pass through you and see them walk off? I am open to helpful ideas on this because there would have to be a lot of hyperspace. Would you have to wait until your body generated enough space around you to move?

I am very grateful to all the members of Bad Astronomy, if we can all take another step forwards then to RussT, Bogie, Nereid, antoniseb and all members thank you, I think -Jove2- is onto something really big.

The nicest thing that happened to me today was when a young lady arriving at work the same time I did said "You know, everywhere I have worked people thought I was strange, but being around you I don't feel strange at all, did you know you are really weird, nice but weird ".

Cheers