Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He Who Shall Not Be Named

Has anybody noticed the similarity between Our Favorite Hoax Believer and a fellow who's been posting on Randi's board under the nym ICanTakePicturesOfDemons ? (Yes, his nym is his story -- all of it.)

They both hold truly wierd ideas, are totally convinced of their correctness in the face of universal skepticism, seem to want badly for others to share those beliefs, and are equally immune to rational persuasion.

One difference: ICan's correspondents have been urging him to seek medical attention. They seem to be genuinely concerned that the fellow might be suffering from a real neural pathology, and might even become a danger to himself or others. I can't recall anyone suggesting that about OFHB, though.

The whole phenomenon of Hoax (or Conspiracy, or Absolute Truth) Belief is a fascinating one, though. I know this is not an original thought, but it does make you wonder if the propensity for this is wired-in... a Belief Gene. But what survival advantage could such a trait provide?

No, I thinK ICan is a different person. When He Who Shall Not Be Named (why the hell did I start that) posts on Randi's site, he uses something like "seethruart". He got the boot from that board.
    ICan is an interesting case. If he truly believes that daemons are infesting his basement, monitoring his every move, then yes, the dude needs professional help. Perhaps prescription drugs as well.
    lisa

Actually, I didn't really mean to imply they were the same person... just that they seemed to share some characteristics (such as single-mindedness). Yes, I did see the posts over there by OFHB.

A new board is fun, eh?

The whole phenomenon of Hoax (or Conspiracy, or Absolute Truth) Belief is a fascinating one, though. I know this is not an original thought, but it does make you wonder if the propensity for this is wired-in... a Belief Gene. But what survival advantage could such a trait provide?

A start on understanding this would be to read Eric Hoffer's The True Believer

<snip>
    [/quote]

None!
    It's nature's way of selecting out the flotsam on the gene pool; at least, it is
    when dealing with delusions like "The electric sockets in the walls are transmitting alien mind-control messages from Mars".

(Not-entirely-serious-response-and-test
    of-new-board)

On 2001-10-23 00:15, David Simmons wrote:
    A start on understanding this would be to read Eric Hoffer's The True Believer
    There's a good book by Michael Shermer called something like "Why People Believe Weird Things" that might be apt as well.

On 2001-10-22 18:17, Lisa wrote:
    ICan is an interesting case. If he truly believes that daemons are infesting his basement, monitoring his every move, then yes, the dude needs professional help. Perhaps prescription drugs as well.
    lisa
    Demons? COOL! I've never seen him post around, but demons in the basement, that's just too cool to pass up! Maybe he found a gateway into HELL! Rocking!

<shrugs>

Well, personally I have a great deal more tolerance for someone who can see demons than He Who Shall Not Be Named. Quite frankly, HWSNBN's "evidence" is quickly and easily dissmissed. Demons on the other hand exist in the realm of infailble hypothesis. I mean, who am I to say demons don't exist? It is possible for there to be a divine Creator, for He/She/It/They to be served by a Host, and for one of the Host's generals to have rebelled with his 'troops' and gotten itself and the troops punished in such a way that they became demons. <shrug>

That being said, the guy does need help... because either demons don't exist and he's hallucinating, or demons do exist and he's either hallucinating or in more trouble then we can imagine.

May be off-topic [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] but did anyone see the episode of Xena where she was the catalyst for Lucifer's transformation from "beautiful demi-god" to "horned demon"?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaptain K on 2001-10-24 06:35 ]</font>

Demons? COOL! I've never seen him post around, but demons in the basement, that's just too cool to pass up! Maybe he found a gateway into HELL! Rocking!
    No, I think he just watches too much "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."
    Lisa

[quote]<font color="blue">
    On 2001-10-24 06:58, Lisa wrote:
    Demons? COOL! I've never seen him post around, but demons in the basement, that's just too cool to pass up! Maybe he found a gateway into HELL! Rocking!</font>
    I cut out, and have kept, an article from the Bakersfield Californian (6 May 2000) by an earnest and dedicated "true believer" citing an article in the Baptist Bible Trumpet.

The article described a "scientific project that drilled a 14.4 km deep hole in Siberia." Suddenly the drill broke through into the hollow interior. The project scientists felt great heat and heard the tortured screams of the "souls" in the torments of hell.

The piece claims that the geologists running the project were astonished to discover that the interior of the earth is hot.

So don't laugh at hell. We have the word of a reliable witness that it is a real, hot place in the interior of the hollow earth.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Simmons on 2001-10-24 08:57 ]</font>

Thats a great one isn't it. Always gives me a chuckle; its almost a pity that snopes felt they had to prove it to be made up.

On 2001-10-24 08:55, David Simmons wrote:
    So don't laugh at hell. We have the word of a reliable witness that it is a real, hot place in the interior of the hollow earth.
    <chuckle>
    To quote the evil Maggie Simpson: "This is indeed a distubing reality"

This explains why the floor sounds hollow. That and I live on the second floor.

On 2001-10-24 15:48, Wiley wrote:
    This explains why the floor sounds hollow. That and I live on the second floor.
    Quite true my friend. The location of <font color=red>Hell</font> can be pinpointed quite precisely by an attentive observer.

Besides, who dares LAUGH at the Lord of Darkness! Knowing we'll all end there anyway, try to be respectful and maybe you'll get less pain. MAYBE.

Do I need to tell you I am JOKING?

On 2001-10-24 16:40, Mr. X wrote:

Quite true my friend. The location of <font color=red>Hell</font> can be pinpointed quite precisely by an attentive observer.
    Yeah, it's down the hall, 2nd door on the left. Yeah, I know it's my living room... so I like it a lil hot. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

No, no, no!

<font color=red>Hell</font> is the inside of a <font color=black>black hole</font>!
    [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Jus ask Dr.Jack and Rexella Van Impe of Jack Van Impe Ministries, Rochester Hills, Michigan

http://www.ignobel.com/

On 2001-10-26 01:58, StarMan wrote:
    No, no, no!

<font color=red>Hell</font> is the inside of a <font color=black>black hole</font>!
    You haven't seen his living room. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

On 2001-10-26 11:24, Wiley wrote:
    No, no, no!

You haven't seen his living room. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    One of my favourite poems, <font color=red>Hell</font> in Texas, would dispute both those suggestions. A musician friend of mine, Ed Miller of Edinburgh-by-way-of-Austin, sings it to the tune of The Irish Washerwoman, and always introduces it by quoting Gen'l Sherman's famous remark, "If I owned <font color=red>Hell</font> and Texas, I'd rent out Texas and live in <font color=red>Hell</font>."

I actually like Texas summers, so I guess that makes me a Devil in training....

The (but no red jumpsuits, please!) Curtmudgeon

"But what survival advantage could such a trait provide?"

Prime candidate to win a Darwin Award? At least almost guaranteed to win something [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img].

http://www.darwinawards.com/

Matt

Curtmudgeon,
    I believe the quote is from General Sheridan (in charge of reconstruction in Texas) not Sherman.
    Kaptain (I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could) K

Speak of the devil, I just got back from my school's Halloween party, and guess what I went as?

Me and my Minions

(Ok, so it's very off topic. So sue me. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img])

(Changed image to a link to save download time and people's sanity.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Hall on 2001-10-27 10:37 ]</font>

ICAN is posting again over at JREF. Now he says he can also hear the demons. Please please run over there and post this picture!
    Lisa

No, no, no!

Jus ask Dr.Jack and Rexella Van Impe of Jack Van Impe Ministries, Rochester Hills, Michigan

http://www.ignobel.com/
    Well, funny you mention this, the movie Event Horizon reflected that (somewhat). Too bad it sucked (gravitationally speaking, of course).

Well, funny you mention this, the movie Event Horizon reflected that (somewhat). Too bad it sucked (gravitationally speaking, of course).
    True, the movie sucked. It also scared the crap out of me. Wouldn't have been so bad if it had made any sense whatsoever.
    Lisa

I did like the people seeing without eyes, though. Very cool.

And the fact that the doctor actually ripped away his own eyes. Very cool.

The fact that the doctor reappears out of the singularity from hell, charbroiled to perfection. Very cool.

The overall look of the ship and the setting in the upper atmosphere of neptune. Very cool.

The ending I found cool, a little ambiguous, the distorsion of space, going to hell, and whether or not they are just insane after that or if they are in it for another ride in hell. Very cool.

The video fragment they recovered, where people are butchering each other, tearing their eyes in an orgy of blood and guts. Very cool.

It contained its fair share of good astronomy too if I remember correctly. Liked that.

Well I think it did, it's kinda old in my memory.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr. X on 2001-10-28 17:37 ]</font>

The chap who is seeing demon's in his basement should take a leaf out of Martin Luther's book, he was apparently able to get rid of his by throwing an inkwell at it.
    [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chief Engineer Scott on 2001-10-29 09:30 ]</font>

Too bad inkwells are as common as buggywhips now. Another weapon in the demon war arsenal lost to technological progress.

Whoa! You guys are living way back in the past! [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif[/img]

Those ink thingies have been replaced by printers! [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Get with the times! [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]