Thread: Tornadoes?

Tornadoes?

Anyone else think this NORMAL PHENOMEA (we can discuss climatology if you want :-)) will fuel Nancy?

Its a slow news week so the news is all over it. Same thing as the shark scare last summer in Florida. Overhyping by the Media. The number of shark attacks in flroida actually went down that year (if i remeber right).

We talked about the tordado outbreaks in a thread last week, but I'll be darned if I can find it. Similar outbreaks have happened failrly often in the past, but I'm sure Nancy will ignore those and just focus on the now.

sorry about that. Been on vacation for the last week and a bit.

Lucky guy. I frequently embarrass myself by posting on older threads that I missed during a getaway and have only skimmed. I will be as tolerant as everyone else is with me.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say it was a normal phenomon this week.

Historically it's the most active week for tornados we've ever had. Sunday I was within 10 miles of nine tornados, two of which were F4s. Thursday, another F4 threatened the area, and we were evacuated from a school program. The county emergency preparedness official for the county said that he sounded the sirens four times in four days, and has never sounded them four times in any one year before.

Having said all that, it is May, it is Kansas and Oklahoma, and Missouri. Our historical records don't go back all that far and while I wouldn't call this "normal" I certaintly wouldn't call it "end time events". I would think it would be a lot worse then this. lol

I've heard lots of ** about the tornados, from wrath of god being angry at (take your pick) the war, what we are doing to the environment, to voting for Bush, etc.

It may not be a "normal" year tornado-wise, but I'm certaintly not surprised by it and think it signifies anything more then bad luck meterologicaly.

I wonder if anyone thought it was the end of the world in April 1974?

AS the BA said correctly is is the near end of El Nino. That will exagerate the weather effects in North America.

I am glad you came out o.k. I hope nobody you knew got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by LTC8K6
    I wonder if anyone thought it was the end of the world in April 1974?
    Yea, I saw that somewhere too. Obviously, I wasn't even a glint in my father eye at the time, but I heard there was a massive flurry of tornadoes in one week. Apparently, this kind of super outbreak happens every once in a long while.

Yes, in April of 1974 there was one 24 hour period (called the Xenia,Ohio outbreak) in which there were 148 tornadoes in the Xenia area. Many were killed and the devastation was terrible. This week's outbreak had more tornadoes, but they were spread out over an week. The Xenia super outbreak still holds the modern era record for a single day I think.

*Prays these supercells weaken by the time they reach Pennsylvania*

A tornado missed my (brand new, less than year old, keep me in debt for the next three decades) house by one mile last September and I visited the Bad Astronomy website for the first time less than 60 days after that event.
    Do you suppose the Zetans were sending me a message?

Quote Originally Posted by Dickenmeyer
    A tornado missed my (brand new, less than year old, keep me in debt for the next three decades) house by one mile last September and I visited the Bad Astronomy website for the first time less than 60 days after that event.
    No, Just the weatherman getting back at you for that snide remark last August. :-)

Of less than this conspriacy theories are born.

Well, I don't care what the Zetans are saying. My Upsilons are speaking to me and telling me that there will be no more tornadoes in the central US for at least a week. And they're never wrong.

Actually, a big honking cold front just came through, and it's going to be some time before conditions are right for tornado formation again. This is what we rational folk call SCIENCE.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by g99
    No, Just the weatherman getting back at you for that snide remark last August. :-)
    Now how could he posssibly have heard what I said? Wait a minute...what if the meteorologists are in on the conspiracy?

Quote Originally Posted by gethen
    Yes, in April of 1974 there was one 24 hour period (called the Xenia,Ohio outbreak) in which there were 148 tornadoes in the Xenia area. Many were killed and the devastation was terrible. This week's outbreak had more tornadoes, but they were spread out over an week. The Xenia super outbreak still holds the modern era record for a single day I think.
    Actually, it was a two day event, beginning on April 3rd, then a second day, April 4th. There were only a couple of tornadoes around the Xenia "area," 148 total for the entire weather system over that 2 day period, involving 13 States. Xenia was the hardest hit area, suffering damage from a massive F5 tornado. It killed 33 people and demolished 300 homes. That's why some people refer to it as the Xenia outbreak. I was 5 at the time, and lived in Frankfort Kentucky. We were hit with a massive F4, and a few miles away, the cities of Brandenburg, and Lousiville were hit with a F5. I can still remember it taking the roof off our house, and then watching softball sized hail stones land in our living room.

On Tuesday, this outbreak ranked at #4 with 123 tornadoes, it now stands at #1 with over 400 reported so far. Weather patterns like this are VERY rare, but they do happen. Let's not forget, The NWS only started keeping records on tornado outbreaks in the 1950's, so it's hard to gauge how rare this last outbreak truly was, from a historic standpoint. I doubt we'll see anything like this happen again for a long time.

There's no doubt that this outbreak was caused by an El Nino. The reason we know? Last year was almost just as record setting, but for the lack of tornadoes. That's a classic sign of El Nino, it's like an ebb and tide flow with these patterns when El Nino is present. Not to worry, this has nothing to do with PX.

By the way, people who survived the April 1974 outbreak have always dreaded a similar event happening. You just knew that if it happened once, it could always happen again. I had been waiting 29 years, and at last, it arrived. 1999 came close, but this was the one we all knew would come eventually. It will also happen again someday, hopefully many years from now. Also, yes this 2003 outbreak had more tornadoes, and was spread out over a longer period, but 1974 still has the record for Larger more violent tornadoes than any other weather system. Something like 17 F5's and 30 F4's make it almsot biblical, in terms of devistation. 315 people were killed in the 1974 outbreak as compared to 44 in 2003. Here's an interesting link on the NOAA site about the 1974 outbreak. I doubt PX had anything to do with it either. http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/storms/

TO SEEK SAID

Well, I don't care what the Zetans are saying. My Upsilons are speaking to me and telling me that there will be no more tornadoes in the central US for at least a week. And they're never wrong.
    To seek;

Seems the Upsilions dropped the ball on that one....More Tornadoes struck...
    Possibly thet could converse with the Greys and get thier slant on Meteorology predictions on future times?

Peace_Rules: Really interesting post. I also remember the 1974 outbreak, but watched from a distance. I think Charlie in Dayton also has a more personal memory of that incident. Didn't realize that it (like the current outbreak) was asoociated with the end of an el Nino year.

[quote="Peace_Rules"]
    Quote Originally Posted by gethen
    Something like 17 F5's and 30 F4's make it almsot biblical, in terms of devistation. 315 people were killed in the 1974 outbreak as compared to 44 in 2003. Here's an interesting link on the NOAA site about the 1974 outbreak. I doubt PX had anything to do with it either.
    Do keep in mind too that modern weather predictions and weather radar are MUCH MUCH more accurate. We're actually able to get more warning about tornado formation now compared to 1974, plus things like weather radios that turn themselves on in case of alert, etc give people a better chance of hearing a warning. Also, at least here, whenever real bad weather hits (like all these thunderstorms we had last week), the local network stations drop the normal program and spend hours talking about weather. Thank God for cable and x-box and computers.

Quote Originally Posted by josun
    TO SEEK SAID

To seek;

Seems the Upsilions dropped the ball on that one....More Tornadoes struck...
    Possibly thet could converse with the Greys and get thier slant on Meteorology predictions on future times?
    Yesterday afternoon, yes, but since last night? The Upsies only spoke to me late yesterday evening.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar28
    Do keep in mind too that modern weather predictions and weather radar are MUCH MUCH more accurate. We're actually able to get more warning about tornado formation now compared to 1974, plus things like weather radios that turn themselves on in case of alert, etc give people a better chance of hearing a warning. Also, at least here, whenever real bad weather hits (like all these thunderstorms we had last week), the local network stations drop the normal program and spend hours talking about weather. Thank God for cable and x-box and computers.
    Very true, but I doubt today's warning systems would have done much better in the 1974 outbreak. First, I must clarify something from my previous post, there were actually 6 F5 tornadoes in that outbreak, not 17. There were also over 30 F4's and 95 tornadoes rated at F2 or greater.

The reason I say that today's technology and warning systems wouldn't have saved more people in the 74 outbreak?

1. Most were killed by the F5 and F4 tornadoes. The strongest tornadoes reported so far, in this 2003 outbreak, were F3's, much easier to survive those.

2. No matter how advanced we've become, we still depend on electricity. In the Xenia tornado, for example, the tornado was said to have cut off the electricity, leaving no warning sirens or TV warnings. But I must admit, back in those days, there were only little green blobs on the radar, one had to personally spot a tornado directly on the ground for a warning to be issued. Had the Xenia tornado been spotted by today's radar, it may have added extra minutes to the warning time, and perhaps, saved more lives.

I should also state that the warning sirens in Frankfort, 1974, did go off. They probably saved my life, but many in the direct path of the F4 tornado were killed anyway. I was lucky enough to be on the fringe of it. To be honest, it's really hard to judge how today's modern radar and warning systems would have stood up to an event like the 1974 outbreak. So many of those tornadoes were just so violent.

I guess what I'm really trying to say, regardless of the warning systems, the 1974 outbreak was far worse than this 2003 outbreak, in terms of long track violent tornados. My point? We know planet X didn't cause the 1974 outbreak, so it shouldn't be given any consideration for the 2003 outbreak.

Another great source for the 1974 outbreak for those interested. This should set your mind at ease if you think PX was responsible for our last 2 weeks. These things are rare, but they do happen. http://www.weather.com/newscenter/sp...rm2/page1.html

Short Blurb: Another reason fro the 74 outbreak being worse than this years was that the 72-73 El Nino was one of the strongest this century.