Thread: Cost of hybrid cars to come down

Cost of hybrid cars to come down

Two large Japanese car companies have said they will cut the cost of their hybrid cars to only $1,900 and $1,700 more than a similar standard internal combustion engine car over the next three years. As many drivers will save more than this amount of money in gasoline in under two years, will this mark the end of the line for the normal internal combustion engine car? Can anyone see any reasons why hybrids won't become extremely popular?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=117008

Disappointingly, the anedotal evidence I'm getting from freinds and co-workers who have hybrids is that they have yet to see any signifigant real-world savings at the pumps. It seems, at least in my area, that this is the sentiment beginning to take hold. It may even be in response to this kind of sentiment that this announcement is made.

As an avid environmentalist, I'd love for hybrids to continue to gain in popularity, but the initial hype has rather burst. I hope this, along with increasingly noticable real-world savings, encourage new hybrid buyers and counteracts some initial disappointment. My wife and I plan to both be in hybrids within the next 5 years. But I think Joe Buyer needs to see more real-world examples of savings at the pumps

Disappointingly, the anedotal evidence I'm getting from freinds and co-workers who have hybrids is that they have yet to see any signifigant real-world savings at the pumps.
    I wonder what sort of hybrids they have as some are made for performance rather than economy. But the 2009 Prius is supposed to be able to get 40km to a liter. If that works out to 30km a liter in realistic driving situations that's going to show significant savings over the current average car. I imagine that will impress most new car buyers. It's even better than current economical diesel cars. (Of course there is no reason why you can't have a diesel hybrid.)

If you would like, I could do a little checking around - exact model and real-world fuel economy, if it would be of any use to you. Probably take me a day or two, but I'd have no problem doing it

If you would like, I could do a little checking around - exact model and real-world fuel economy, if it would be of any use to you. Probably take me a day or two, but I'd have no problem doing it
    If you don't know off the top of the head there seems little point in going through that trouble to satisfy the curiosity of some guy on the internet. But if you do I'll pay you back by telling you a great way to make $$$$$ fast!!!!!! (You can trust me because if you can't trust an anomynous stranger on the internet, who can you trust?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Brak View Post
    If you don't know off the top of the head there seems little point in going through that trouble to satisfy the curiosity of some guy on the internet. But if you do I'll pay you back by telling you a great way to make $$$$$ fast!!!!!! (You can trust me because if you can't trust an anomynous stranger on the internet, who can you trust?)
    Point taken. And touche'

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Brak View Post
    yes, who indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by Serenitude View Post
    Or less.

http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/

This one shows the EPA mileage, but has some interesting links to "real life" experiences (Mileage Stories).
    http://www.hybridcars.com/mileage.html

Now, Ronald, about that money making scheme you promised to reveal...
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Or less.

This one shows the EPA mileage, but has some interesting links to "real life" experiences (Mileage Stories).
    Not bad, so in the ten finger system that would be about 22 kilometers per liter in town for the two most efficient hybrids under realistic conditions.

I have several:

1. Get a job at the mint.
    2. Give your bank account details to the son of the former leader of Nigeria.
    3. Invent something that people will pay a lot of money for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Or less.

Useful info. This reinforces Ronald Brak's point - some hybrids (like the Accord) are designed to get higher performance at regular-car mileage rates, rather than aimed at flat-out economy.

The chart raises another point for Seattle residents: what sort of genius thought "Mariner" was a good name for a vehicle? Costs a fortune, goes nowhere, stinks, and the manufacturer threatens to take it away if you don't build a bigger garage...

Don't forget the easiest moneymaking scheme:

4. Promise people you'll teach them an easy moneymaking scheme if they just pay you $$$ beforehand.

I have a 2006 Prius and it drives roughly 20 km/liter.
    I think its a great car and a fantastic concept, with the following remarks:

1. They could have used a small diesel motor instead of petrol (which is just to please the US market)
    2. It might not be extremely fuel effecient, but it is extremely clean (low emission).
    3. The concept can be developed in a steady, evolutionary way. No need to drastically change infrastructures, such as with hydrogen or electric cars. Simply reduce the combustion engine to smaller and smaller sizes in future releases.
    4. The whole world is looking for better batteries, because everything has to be wireless and small, these days. So hybrid cars perfectly fit (and benefit) into this trend.

Well, besides all that, it just is a very relaxed car to drive!

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in a few years when batteries start needing replacement. Cugel, does Toyota give you any idea how long they are expected to last?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    The chart raises another point for Seattle residents: what sort of genius thought "Mariner" was a good name for a vehicle? Costs a fortune, goes nowhere, stinks, and the manufacturer threatens to take it away if you don't build a bigger garage...
    And takes up far too much of everyone's attention on local TV for as much as six months of the year.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see what happens in a few years when batteries start needing replacement. Cugel, does Toyota give you any idea how long they are expected to last?
    Yes, for the full life of the car.
    I have to admit that I lease the car for a 4 year period only..... then I chicken out!

BTW, there is a wealth of information about the Prius in Wikipedia.
    Quote:

"The most recent versions use a new, patented advanced safe-format Lithium Battery from Valence Technology (VLNC, NASDAQ) called Saphion. The energy density and far more efficient utilisation of these batteries provide around 20x the available power of the standard NiMH battery pack but at only double the weight. Tests show it capable of acheiving >30 miles (50 km) in all electric mode at speeds below 34 mph (55 km/h). The internal combustion engine starts only at higher speeds or when extra acceleration is needed. Fuel economy (as demonstrated for several journalists) is improved to 100-160 mpg (US) (40-68 km/L) source article depending on driving conditions. City driving may be possible without using the ICE at all, eliminating the use of almost all liquid fuel in exchange for electrical energy"

Promising, isn't it?

My wife has a 2003 Civic hybrid. She typically gets around 50 miles per gallon, though she does not keep very careful track. I have a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid. In the 1-1/2 years I have had the car, I average about 34 mpg. I have to say I'm pleased with both of them. It is probably borderline on a purely cost-benefit analysis, though we tend to keep our cars a long time (5+ years) and so the pay back gets better.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My wife's 2000 Insight is still going strong.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.