Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get well soon, Hamster

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here

I hope he gets well soon and broke the land speed record next to some other things, just to stay in style of the programme.

Keep fighting, Hamster.

Yeah, I wish him the best! (as I always have in the contests the three of them have had over the series).

I too hope he gets well soon and has no lasting affects from the accident. The things they do for their show......

Is this the same guy I once saw do a mythbusters-like segment on automobiles that end up in the water? I think I caught the show twice.

Really opened my eyes as to why you want to try to get out immediately and not wait until the car fills with water to "equalize the pressure so you can open the door". As he put it, "You don't know if the water is ten feet deep or a hundred".

That and the segment where he's driving that 350 horsepower off road vehicle called a "Bowler". That one looked like he was having a lot of fun. I wanted one after that. The same yellow color too.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

How do you get out of a car that isn't filled yet, trying to kick out the windshield?

If you are not stunned while impacting the water you can still push the door open while the car briefly floats. The water pressure on the door doesn't get too oppressive until its over about a foot and a half deep. The car fills fast after that.

And you are still going to have to fight for your life. But its better than riding it down to an unknown depth. Once you are down deeper than where you are inheirently bouyant, (I think thats about 20 feet down, I'm sure a diver can tell us) in the dark and cold, the average person's chance of survival is grim.

How do you get out of a car that isn't filled yet, trying to kick out the windshield?
    If possible wind the door window down and go out through that id have thought.

Get well soon hamster! Ive been watching some of the top gear clips online and i cant imagine the show without him really.

There seems confusion of whether there was a record attempt. Some have said that he was attempting the UK based land speed record (not the world one obviously, you cant do that in the UK) while others have said not. Apparently he has smiled in hospital at Clarksons joking insult about his driving ability. Hopefully thats a good sign for a good recovery!

On a side note (i guess rather OT) im really dubious about the they accelerate at 6g quote. From what i understand the car had about 3000lbs of thrust and weighed about 1500lbs. Doesnt that mean the best case for acceleration is about 2g. (very very back of the envelope maths there though so i could be very very wrong) Still more than you average car but not near the 6g quoted figure.

Looking through the reader comments on the BBC news website there are some mean minded people out there. 99% are well wishers but there are some who actualy say it serves him right and the whole show should be pulled for encouraging people to break the law and drive fast! others bang the 'environment' drum.

Good luck Richard, get up and get back in there.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

I wish him the very best. And I something tells me that that was the last time he's ever gonna go in one of those drag racers... Those things are mean, to say the least. He wouldn't have been the first poor sap to lose his life while driving one.

I've seen a video once of a guy who lost both his knee-caps(yeah, ouch) while driving one. He scraped along the floor on his knees, and well, when the suit was torn through, his knees... well, you get the picture.

But I wish him the very best and hope he get's well soon. Top gear without Richard Hammond is unthinkable. Come to think of it, the show would probably be cancelled if would have died.

Oh, and it makes me sick that some retards are using this to push their agenda's down other people's throats. I'm talking about the fast driving on the road or the extreme enviromentalists. There's a time and place for these things and it's NOT here!

I think that to be a good driver you have to acknowledge that there is a part of you that wants to drive down the road at 500mph with sparks flying, well speaking for myself at least.

Some good news.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Looking through the reader comments on the BBC news website there are some mean minded people out there. 99% are well wishers but there are some who actualy say it serves him right and the whole show should be pulled for encouraging people to break the law and drive fast! others bang the 'environment' drum.

Good luck Richard, get up and get back in there.
    And there is talk that the ecocrats at the BBC want to use this as an excuse to pull the show. Hamster's not even dead and these scum sucking pieces of filth are already dancing on his grave. We get 24/7 on the Beeb of this 'liberal' (liberal is supposed to mean free when it is nothing of the sort these days) crap from the high priests of political correctness. At least give us one hour a week for sixteen weeks a year to actually have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 geek View Post
    And there is talk that the ecocrats at the BBC want to use this as an excuse to pull the show. Hamster's not even dead and these scum sucking pieces of filth are already dancing on his grave. We get 24/7 on the Beeb of this 'liberal' (liberal is supposed to mean free when it is nothing of the sort these days) crap from the high priests of political correctness. At least give us one hour a week for sixteen weeks a year to actually have fun.
    Yeah, also we get an hour of shoddy, 3rd rate 'investigative reporting' in the form of Panorama's 'expose' of football corruption that would make a hack from The Sun shudder. I'm paying an extra £5 a year for this?!!

Sorry, don't want to derail the thread, just had to rant!

Quote Originally Posted by 777 geek View Post
    ...and these scum sucking pieces of filth are already dancing on his grave. ...
    Careful, now, that sounds like an ad hominem.

From what I read on the Beeb's website, it was an attempt on the British land speed record (after all, it would take a huge project to take the land speed record away from Thrust SSC), but no-one was sure whether or not the record was in danger prior to the accident.

They said the car was travelling at around 300 mph when the Hamster lost control. I wish him a full and speedy recovery (no pun intended).

Apparently he has smiled in hospital at Clarksons joking insult about his driving ability. Hopefully thats a good sign for a good recovery!
    If that results in Clarkson taken up in intensive care, that's a VERY good recovery

I do hope the brain damage will cause no permanent issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    On a side note (i guess rather OT) im really dubious about the they accelerate at 6g quote. From what i understand the car had about 3000lbs of thrust and weighed about 1500lbs. Doesnt that mean the best case for acceleration is about 2g. (very very back of the envelope maths there though so i could be very very wrong) Still more than you average car but not near the 6g quoted figure.
    I don't know about much about drag racing. I know Formula 1 cars can have braking acceleration up to 5.5g (from 350 km/h). Forward acceleration is about 1.5g, but a drag racer's should be higher so your figure of 2g sound about right.

Well, true top fuel dragsters can push well over 5g off the line, but it sounds like he wasn't driving one of those. For a jet dragster, 2-3g is reasonable.

20. 2006-Sep-23, 12:27 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Nigel View Post
    They said the car was travelling at around 300 mph when the Hamster lost control. I wish him a full and speedy recovery (no pun intended).
    From what I've read/heard previously, he was winding down when it veered off, though reports differ & are still vague. The aerial photos seem to support this so far ie the tracks & wreck weren't too far from the runway.

Anyway, the important thing is he seems to be recovering rather well so far.

I just hope what happened to me doesn't happen to him. I had a "significant brain injury" myself and as a result I have seizures every couple of weeks or so. Thats why I move furniture for a living. Real jobs don't want to risk I'll seize at work at then become a potential lawsuit. I absolutely hate that. That and not being permited to operate a motor vehicle. That would really suck for him. I'm kind of used to it by now.

That's bad to hear. Though I do understand you are not allowed to operate a motor vehicle for your own and other's safety, as far as I get "the picture".

I hope you (continue to) find a lifestyle that makes you feel happy!

Looking good for him:-
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...40317,,00.html

I didn't think he would be out of bed for months!

IN the wee small hours of Thursday night, just 30 hours after what is almost certainly the world’s fastest ever car crash
    How hard is it to look something up? World's fastest car crash was the Green Monster as far as I know, and that was twice the speed. (610 mph). He was on his feet the next day.

That said, it seems the Hamster's back. Good news! My bet is they will show the crash footage in an episode of Top Gear, with "the hamster dance" as soundtrack.

As a person with a beard and dirty fingernails I'd like to say I really hope they continue the show.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Dutch newspaper described it as a rocket wopered car...good journalism again.

Good thing the Hamster didn't suffocate with his helmet full of soil embedded in the ground. Would be kind of ironic, for The Hamster to die while digging a hole .

Next series of Top Gear will be held back until Richard is well enough to present it. It's not due to go to air for a month or 2 so it could be OK.

See that his family asked for no flowers, cards etc but instead make a donation to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, they have recieved over £200,000 in 5 days.
    All Moderation in Purple

World's fastest car crash was the Green Monster as far as I know, and that was twice the speed. (610 mph). He was on his feet the next day.
    IIRC Craig Breedlove crashed spirit of america at 675 mph in 1996. Either way claiming 300 mph as the fastest crash is not doing much research on the part of the paper.

Next series of Top Gear will be held back until Richard is well enough to present it. It's not due to go to air for a month or 2 so it could be OK.
    Hopefully just a month or so as long as transport2000 and the daily mail dont get their way that is. They are both campaigning to get the show axed now.

It's has the highest viewing figures on BBC2 and its sold to about 25 countries, I can't see it being axed.
    All Moderation in Purple

I think its wildly unlikely too, but its annoying to see groups come out of the woodwork and use an accident like this to promote their agenda.

Good news has come out of this accident though. The air ambulance appeal is now (from what i hear) £200,000 better off after 5 days of donations.