Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to offend absolutely everyone

How to offend absolutely everyone

It takes a certain amount of flair to discover a way to alienate yourself from every single segment of the US political spectrum, but these guys have managed to do it.

These guys are the Wesboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas. Yes, that state.

The church, which largely consists of the extended family of a certain Fred Phelps, has come to the inexorable conclusion that George Bush's failure to pass a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage has meant that America is doomed. Yes, doomed. The end times are neigh, you see, and now the United States, once fostered and coddled by God, has fallen into a morass of iniquitous flag-worshipping idolotry. Their highly informative website, "godhatesfags.com" has an upside-down US flag in its address bar, presumably a parody of the Satanic cross. They're not playing around.

So, how do they plan to save America from wallowing in brimstone? Easy. They picket the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq, comforting the mourning family members with the knowledge that their child deserved to die for supporting a sodomite nation. They call these protests "love crusades," a phrase that is just so 1984.

Needless to say, the liberal left is scandalised. But even the right, long the self-appointed guardians of patriotic duty, have been insensed. When Fox News cuts you off mid interview for being two intolerant, you know you've left the mainstream

2. 2006-May-30, 09:33 AM

3. 2006-May-30, 09:54 AM

I don't think that we can discuss Fred Phelps without violating the religion or politics rules. I'm leaving the thread open for now, so feel free to surprise me with well-reasoned discussion.
    Forming opinions as we speak

When you're so deliberately offensive to every single aspect of the political spectrum, apparently so you can point to the outraged reaction and say "Hey, look, I told you they were scared of THE TRUTH!!!", I think you're well beyond the political and into cult nuttiness.

Glom is online now Insert awesome title here
    If God hates fags, why did he make the gay genes? Stupid god!

I do wonder if post #4 represents what was intended in post #2

A guy I work with is a member of a local motorcycle club. He says that clubs around the country have organized a "presence" at every funerals that this group pickets. They park between the mourners and the picketers with their engines idling. If the picketers start making noise, they simply rev the engines to drown them out. Tom and his friends has sometimes ridden hundreds of miles through night and foul weather to help shield grieving families from these . . . these "individuals".

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality
    Their highly informative website, "..." has an upside-down US flag in its address bar, presumably a parody of the Satanic cross.
    FWIW, flying the American flag upside down is a recognized distress signal.

Fred
    "For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Yesirree. Certifiably wacko. Not much to do with religion, just a bunch of kooks with a pet peeve (homophobia) that have found a very annoying way of getting attention.

On the genes thing, it's not entirely genetic. It's not like there is a gene that simply makes you gay or not. Like most things behavior-wise, nurture and nature play a part. One interesting factoid I came across was that the more males a woman carries, the more liklely the youngest one will be homosexual. There is a strongly positive corelation between being the youngest male in families with multiple boys and being gay. The corelation increases significantly with the number of male siblings. The hypothesis is that there is something that happens to mom's chemistry (hormonal) after or during giving birth to male children that switches genes on and/or off and efffects the sexual orientation of future male children.

Forgive me for not providing the exact stats, they are from a chapter in Genome.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
    FWIW, flying the American flag upside down is a recognized distress signal.

Fred
    What do they do in countries where the flag is perfectly symetrical?

Some of his followers came down here right after the Columbia accident. Their claim was that God destroyed the space shuttle to punish us for what reason I do not know. I guess because the US tolerates gays.

Bush signs funeral picketing bill
    The law will bar demonstrators from disrupting military funerals at national cemeteries, and prevent demonstrators from protesting within 100 yards of a military funeral.

The law is aimed at the Westboro Baptist Church and its leader Fred Phelps. The church is a Topeka-based group that staged anti-gay protests at military funerals. They claim the soldiers' deaths are a sign of God's anger for America's tolerance of homosexuality.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

This is for me just another example that when your philosophy of life is defined by what you hate, rational thinking and any chance of civilised discourse os lost, often together with decency.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Fascinating operation, if you're into deviant psychology. Seems his wife has managed to whelp quite a few kids, most of whom are lawyers. Seems they finance themselves by going about irritating the bejebus out of everyone, getting their targets so riled they do something to stymie them, then Phelps' whelps scream mea culpa to the courts and cry foul on 1st Ammendment violations and pick up nice little sums from cash settlements which they turn over to dad to pay for these little expeditions to another soldier's funeral, where the process repeats itself.

Frighteningly talented bunch of individuals who know extremely well how to work the system to feed their operation.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjumperdon
    What do they do in countries where the flag is perfectly symetrical?
    Its been a while since I've seen the list, but I don't think there are any that are perfectly symmetrical.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler
    Its been a while since I've seen the list, but I don't think there are any that are perfectly symmetrical.
    Japan and Switzerland (I haven't checked, but from memory these seem symmetrical). The UK is almost symmetrical, I think. (I'm talking four side symmetry here).
    There may be a few countries with upside-down symmetry as well (Spain? Some or all Scandinavian countries, if you flip it the correct way).

The danish flag is Up/Down symmetrical, I think the swiss flag may be symmetrical both ways in the idealised version.
    Sometimes flagmakers make it wider to account for wear, but I don't know if they do that for the swiss flag.

UK flag is definitely not mirror symmetrical, though it may be rotation symmetrical.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

sometimes the Union Jake gets hung upside down by mistake- no-one usually notices but there is a slight difference apparantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fram
    Japan and Switzerland (I haven't checked, but from memory these seem symmetrical). The UK is almost symmetrical, I think. (I'm talking four side symmetry here).
    There may be a few countries with upside-down symmetry as well (Spain? Some or all Scandinavian countries, if you flip it the correct way).
    Ok, let that be the LAST time I post without my morning caffeine infusion.

Now that I'm full conscious, lets see how deeply I got the sneaker down my throat this time. Aside from those mentioned.

Austria, Botswana, Costa Rica, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Indonesia, Israel, Jamaica, Norway, Peru, and Thailand.

If y'all will excuse me, I've got shoestring stuck in my teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march
    sometimes the Union Jake gets hung upside down by mistake- no-one usually notices but there is a slight difference apparantly.
    There is, it should be hung so the corner with the wide white edge is on top.

You can either hang it so the upper edge (from the pole) goes white, blue, ...; or so it goes red, white, blue, ...
    The first way is the correct one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler
    Ok, let that be the LAST time I post without my morning caffeine infusion.

Now that I'm full conscious, lets see how deeply I got the sneaker down my throat this time. Aside from those mentioned.

Austria, Botswana, Costa Rica, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Indonesia, Israel, Jamaica, Norway, Peru, and Thailand.

If y'all will excuse me, I've got shoestring stuck in my teeth.
    There are of course many more upside down symmetrical flags (all flags with vertical stripes (Belgium, Germany, Italy, ...), and some others like East Timor, then there are a few left-right symmetrical ones (which aren't discussed here, but fun anyway), like Macao, and all flags with horizontal stripes, and I think we have forgotten the most symmetrical of them all: Libya!

It's really too bad Phelps doesn't actually think of what he's doing...it's a sad enough thing that folks are at a funeral, but they don't need some psychotic prag hollering right next to them. The motorcyclists are at least trying to drown them out. I find it comforting that Bush did sign it, but it should not have had to go that far. People have the right to say what they will, but it's highly disrespectful to do it in the manner that Fred Phelps is doing it in. If he had to protest, why did he choose to make himself public enemy #1, even among people with similiar beliefs?

I knew one flag was all one color, but I couldn't recall which.

Back to the original topic for a sec...

What would this guy say if this gets a foothold? (Now. It's about a Dutch political party, but this thread was already shakey ground. I'm not sure it's so much about politics though as organized perversion)

Back to flags now
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

From a previous post it seems like he's very aware of what he's doing, deliberately provoking people to try to make him stop, then suing them for first amendmend violation if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermonter
    It's really too bad Phelps doesn't actually think of what he's doing...it's a sad enough thing that folks are at a funeral, but they don't need some psychotic prag hollering right next to them. The motorcyclists are at least trying to drown them out. I find it comforting that Bush did sign it, but it should not have had to go that far. People have the right to say what they will, but it's highly disrespectful to do it in the manner that Fred Phelps is doing it in. If he had to protest, why did he choose to make himself public enemy #1, even among people with similiar beliefs?
    There's an saying that if you hear 100 positive comments and one negative comment, you remember the negative longer. Its why advertisers go out of their way to make ads annoying, they know it will stick in your head if it gets in your craw.

Now Phelps does the same thing with his message. Making an impact with his statement by making it in the most irritating manner possible. In a country obsessed with dramatic news coverage and eager to make a story out of every little nit, he's got ratings written all over his antics. He's almost guaranteed free air time and publicity because of what he's doing, spreading his message further than he could ever have hoped to using more "legitimate" means.

I suppose he's hoping people will eventually dance to his tune just to get him to go away, but that's not the greater danger of his game. By pushing the bleeding edge of protected speach, he's actually pushing people to the point where they're sincerely willing to sacrifice freedom of speach for the sake of silencing him.

That would be an outcome far more dangerous than a few slurs hurled at a Hearse...

Quote Originally Posted by Tog_
    I knew one flag was all one color, but I couldn't recall which.

Back to the original topic for a sec...

What would this guy say if this gets a foothold? (Now. It's about a Dutch political party, but this thread was already shakey ground. I'm not sure it's so much about politics though as organized perversion)

Back to flags now
    That would depend on whether he's one of those who confuse homosexuality with paedophili or not.
    Over the years there have been multiple cults (including several claiming to be christian) that have been anti-homosexual, while seeing nothing wrong with sexually abusing "their" children.

The one I'd like to see him react to is the recent decision in Denmark to have artificial insemination covered by the public health system for lesbian couples just as it is for heterosexual couples.

If you go to the Wiki article on Phelps you will read a life story that, even if only a third of it is true, will give you great insight into a person consumed by hatred. Not just homosexuals but of everything.

There is a science side to this too, the part where they claim that God directly causes disasters (wars, shuttle crashes, hurricanes, whatever) to happen. I don't think that has been mentioned.

Didn't Pat Robertson make similar claims, that hurricanes hit Florida because it was punishment for gays?

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality
    These guys are the Wesboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas. Yes, that state.

DAMMITT anyway. A few extremists, that nobody in the state likes (phelps, the Board of Education) and all of you think all of us Kansans are ignorant bumpkins.

IF you will remember the BOE descion in 1999 was overturned by public opinion and I have great faith that the ID stupidity will be overturned too. Yes, I'm disgusted it happened a second time, and yes the system in Kansas needs to be overhauled so this won't happened a third time. Farmers and housewives are on the BOE, got voted in on platforms (worthy enough ones i might add) that had nothing to do with evolution. People from out of state, yes that right, non-kansans, wrote the standards the BOE accepted. We were, quite simply, bushwhacked both times..

Kansans have always been proud of there school system, and until this fiasco was always amoung the top school systems in the union.

Attack the morons, not the state, and the majority of the state which thinks the BOE are idiots. (read the 'letters to the editors" in any kansas newspaper after both incidents, and you will see the majority of kansans are in favor of evolution, as the vote in 2000 showed)

grrrr. And Kansans HATE Phelps. His 'congragation' consists only of his family.

Okay, rant over. Go pick on another state.

Quote Originally Posted by aurora
    There is a science side to this too, the part where they claim that God directly causes disasters (wars, shuttle crashes, hurricanes, whatever) to happen. I don't think that has been mentioned.

Didn't Pat Robertson make similar claims, that hurricanes hit Florida because it was punishment for gays?
    I beleive you are refering to him saying Katrina hitting New Orleans was linked to the Mardi Gras parade that was to be held there a few days after.

Anyone who claims God is on their side has to rationalise all natural disasters as punishment for not listening to them (and handing over their credit card for a small donation).

I don't think they are picking on the state, but rather some of the baka that live in it. I don't see anything wrong with Kansas...except for those specific people that think passion overrules reason and justice.