Thread: Moon Hoax taught in Cuba?

Moon Hoax taught in Cuba?

I read somewhere in one of the threads here that in schools in Cuba, the Moon Hoax is taught as history. That is pretty sad. Does anybody have more information on this?

James Oberg, aka JimO, sez that's what he was told.

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC2000/abc200...oberg2000.html

It’s not just a few crackpots and their new books and Internet conspiracy sites. There are entire subcultures within the U.S., and substantial cultures around the world, that strongly believe the landing was faked. I’m told that this is official dogma still taught in schools in Cuba, plus wherever else Cuban teachers have been sent (such as Sandanista, Nicaragua and Angola).

"I'm told" by whom?

I don't have a clue if this is true or a rumor but I'd be skeptical without some further documentation. Isn't this how these myths get started?

Jeepers, I dunno. Send the man a PM or an e-mail or something and ask him. << shrug >>

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/pr...profile&u=1012

I have three messages -- two by email and one letter -- over the past five years, each from different folks saying when they were kids in Cuba, that's what their teachers told them. Cuban officials deny it ever happened. I think it's likely it was widespread, I don't know if it was on the official curriculum -- but Castro's teachers did NOT free-lance their personal opinions in Cuban schools.

Quote Originally Posted by JimO
    I have three messages -- two by email and one letter -- over the past five years, each from different folks saying when they were kids in Cuba, that's what their teachers told them. Cuban officials deny it ever happened. I think it's likely it was widespread, I don't know if it was on the official curriculum -- but Castro's teachers did NOT free-lance their personal opinions in Cuban schools.
    E-mails you solicited? friends? relatives? Where did you find an official denial? I'm not trying to question your evidence, I am just very curious about Cuba.

I've gotten the use out of the material I sought, but am always curious about other people's supplemental results. I look forward to you sharing your findings with us.

If the world was more fair, Bart Sibrel would be offered and accept a teaching possition in Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw
    James Oberg, aka JimO, sez that's what he was told.
    Iím told that this is official dogma still taught in schools in Cuba, plus wherever else Cuban teachers have been sent (such as Sandanista, Nicaragua and Angola).
    Hey, where is Sandanista?