At work we sometimes can get static electric shocks off of metal cupboards, the lift button, the open door button, door handles.
When we complained about this, as we are in a newish building, we were told that the carpets had some anti-static coating and it was all due to the clothes we were wearing.
How would a carpet anti static coating work? Are they right that it is all the fault of our clothes?
Also when contemplating the shocks off of the filing cabinets, they are free standing on the floor and I can not see any connection to an Earth mains, so why do I still get shocks off of them.