Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange News

Computer chips get under skin......

With a wave of his hand, Amal Graafstra, a 29-year-old entrepreneur based in Vancouver, Canada, opens his front door. With another, he logs onto his computer.

Tiny radio frequency identification (RFID) computer chips inserted into Graafstra's hands make it all possible.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060106/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Titana.

I love the idea of computer chips under the skin. Cybernetics, babeh!

Quote Originally Posted by Titana
    Computer chips get under skin......
    I've seen that before some time ago. Not exactly strange - but I guess that depends on your point of view.

Now let's say it was "active" electronics... it could give a whole new meaning to "virus".

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher
    I've seen that before some time ago. Not exactly strange - but I guess that depends on your point of view.

Now let's say it was "active" electronics... it could give a whole new meaning to "virus".

Not strange? Hummm....Having a computer chip implanted in your skin is not an everyday thing. Sure sounds strange to me...

Titana.

Computer chips are imbedded under the skin of animals all the time. Locator chips, basically, in case the pets get lost.

Not strange? Hummm....Having a computer chip implanted in your skin is not an everyday thing. Sure sounds strange to me...
    I guess it depends on your meaning of strange. Unusual? (yes). Weird?(not really)
    You can almost consider it to be a modern day tattoo for identificaion.

Okay, I originally read the "she'd" in this headline as "she had" rather than "she would," and it threw me for a loop...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf
    Computer chips are imbedded under the skin of animals all the time. Locator chips, basically, in case the pets get lost.
    Identifier chips, not locator chips.
    CSI notwithstanding the range is too short for tracking.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen
    Identifier chips, not locator chips.
    CSI notwithstanding the range is too short for tracking.
    Ah.

Quote Originally Posted by LurchGS
    not a clue - I was over in the post-wormfood comments from Carl Sagan thread.. posted my response (which you see here on this thread)... and >>poof<< both it and I were over here

I bet Moonrock could explain it
    I'd move it, but the conversation has gone on so far in the other thread that it wouldn't fit in any more. For future reference, if you have another problem like this, let a moderator know - it's not hard for us to fix.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

CNN Update: with video and interviews. Maggots? yuck.

Very strange indeed.
    'It was not clear if any crimes were committed, Owens said."
    I think this may be a case where some psychiatric evaluation is warrented.
    Too many people knew. "Some family members continued to live downstairs, authorities said"
    "The caregiver is not someone you'd think was from another planet or really seems off the wall -- (she's) a pretty normal kind of person," he said. Maybe so, but somethings not right.

Perhaps it's time to get one that's not quite so morbid: Torben the Dane demands a very social service.
    Vegener Hansen, 59, who has cerebral palsy, is fighting to force the Danish state to subsidise visits to his home by prostitutes in the same way they would pay for a meals-on-wheels service.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen
    Perhaps it's time to get one that's not quite so morbid: Torben the Dane demands a very social service.
    So, take the cost of what it takes to have a visit when you have CP, subtract the cost of what it takes to have a visit when you don't have CP, and that's what your due (if anything).

"Meals-on-wheels"? do I sense some double meanings here?

Firemen's party ends in fire station blaze

http://reuters.myway.com/article/200...N-FIRE-DC.html

Woman all shook up over Elvis song. (well i quess she sure was...)

http://reuters.myway.com/article/200...-ELVIS-DC.html

Titana.

Re: Strange News

Smart cow, dumb kids.

Fugitive cow rewarded with freedom.
    "I've been around cattle all my life and it's just totally amazing," Del Morris [manager of Mickey's Packing Plant in Great Falls] said, adding that it is a rare cow that escapes slaughter. "I watched her do things that are just not possible for a cow."
    I wonder what those impossible things were? Perhaps Mr. Morris has spent a little too much time around cattle?

I hope Molly gets sent to Seattle. If she's left near the slaughterhouse, I can imagine a scene on third shift sometime in the future, where one of the work crew spots here, and says, "Look, guys! An escaped cow. Let's get her!"

Vandals who broke into and wrecked a northern Mexican primary school over the Christmas holidays were thoughtful enough to leave the photocopied mug shot of one of their gang at the scene of the crime.

This one's right down there with the person who left his wallet at the scene of the crime a while back.

How about some eggs and (green) ham......

"There are partially fluorescent green pigs elsewhere, but ours are the only ones in the world that are green from inside out. Even their hearts and internal organs are green," Wu said on Thursday.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...AIWAN-PIG1.xml

Titana.

How about some eggs and (green) ham......
    I was going to link the MSNBC version of that over on this thread. But it's only flourescent and not glow in the dark.

Is it just me or does that image look badly faked?
    They are obviously leaving something out, injecting the embryos with proteins shouldn't have that effect.

Strange motorcycle pics.....

http://www.bikemenu.com/photosweird.html

Titana.

I would say that not all of those pics are of motorcycles....

Ooooopppsss.... forgot to mention that.....

Titana.

I think it is ok because it takes more of an artistic view, I don't think anyone is going to hassle you about it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10818583

TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan, home to the world’s first transgenic glowing fish, has successfully bred fluorescent green pigs that researchers hope will boost the island’s stem cell research, a professor said on Thursday.
    By injecting fluorescent green protein into embryonic pigs, a research team at the island’s leading National Taiwan University managed to breed three male transgenic pigs, said professor Wu Shinn-Chih of the university’s Institute and Department of Animal Science and Technology.
    “There are partially fluorescent green pigs elsewhere, but ours are the only ones in the world that are green from inside out. Even their hearts and internal organs are green,” Wu said on Thursday.

Thief on horseback steals cellphone......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060113/...RpBHNlYwM3NTc-

Titana.

Lawyer Allegedly Kidnaps Client Over Fees
    WACO, Texas (AP) - A lawyer faces a felony charge of kidnapping for allegedly abducting a client from his wedding celebration in an attempt to collect legal fees.

Police say Paula Allen, 51, took Rolando Castelan from his Dec. 10 wedding and then drove him around in handcuffs as Castelan called friends and family from a cell phone to scrounge up the money he owed his lawyer, the Waco Tribune-Herald reported for its Friday edition.
    Allen tried to persuade Castelan to come to court, but when he didn't, the court found her responsible for the $5,000 bond.

Police say she took Castelan from his wedding reception with the help of three "associates," whom police have not identified.

When Castelan's ex-wife agreed to meet and pay the money, Castelan managed to escape the Suburban he had been held in for four hours.

Castelan turned himself into authorities nine days later and remains in the McLennan County Jail for his indictment. His post-indictment warrant does not allow for a bond.

Allen was released from the McLennan County Jail on Wednesday on a personal recognizance bond.
    Now, that’s justice!

Online Chatting Leads to Virtual Wedding
    JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) - Rita Sri Mutiara Dewi's fiance could not get time off from his job in the United States. But that didn't stop the couple _ who have never met in person _ from tying the knot on Thursday.

And a Muslim cleric who witnessed the ceremony between the Indonesian lovers declared it legal, she said, even though they were on opposite ends of the earth.
    Dewi said Friday she plans to travel to the United States next month to meet her new husband.
    I hope they like each other.

Talking

Conan's Endorsement No Joke to Some Finns
    HELSINKI, Finland (AP) - Finland's president finds her traditional support among women and the Social Democratic Party base, but lately to the surprise of many Finns _ and her opponents in Sunday's election _ she has gotten an endorsement of a different sort.

The redheaded late-night talk show host Conan O'Brien has been promoting President Tarja Halonen's re-election bid as part of a long-running joke about their supposed physical similarities.

"Why do I support Tarja Halonen? Because she's got the total package: a dynamic personality, a quick mind, and most importantly _ my good looks," the comedian, whose show is broadcast on cable in Finland, said in a statement to The Associated Press.
    NBC, which runs Conan's show in the United States, said the popular host is planning a trip to Finland in February. It was not clear whether he would meet with Halonen, 62, who apparently does not mind being compared to the 42-year-old O'Brien.

"She thinks that it's very nice that she looks the same as Conan O'Brien because Conan O'Brien is so much younger than she," said Jaaskelainen, the campaign manager.
    Okay, this is just funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Star
    Hey Dragon Star, look up 6 posts from your post(113)... ToSeek

According to the link in this other ToSeeked Green Pig...
    The linked ABC Article is the first one that I have seen that says "glow in the dark". Is that true, or is it more of just a "DayGlo" type?

Quote Originally Posted by Candy
    You make the call.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.