Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange News

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Star
    OMG...Seriously, you guys are going to love this one...

JERUSALEM - Sharon Tendler met Cindy 15 years ago. She said it was love at first sight. This week she finally took the plunge and proposed. The lucky "guy" plunged right back.
    In a modest ceremony at Dolphin Reef in the southern Israeli port of Eilat, Tendler, a 41-year-old British citizen, apparently became the world's first person to "marry" a dolphin.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10694972
    I assume that this is a female dolphin, given the name "Cindy". I don't mind inter-species marriages, but I draw the line at gay inter-species marriages.

Actually, I "fish" them good lucky. But if they are not going to have kids, I don't understand the "porpoise" of having the ceremony - why don't they just live together.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

You know, I wanted to post Dolph Lundrin (or whatever his name is) and a wife just to be funny. Swift is funnier.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    I assume that this is a female dolphin, given the name "Cindy". I don't mind inter-species marriages, but I draw the line at gay inter-species marriages.

Actually, I "fish" them good lucky. But if they are not going to have kids, I don't understand the "porpoise" of having the ceremony - why don't they just live together.
    From what I heard this morning on the radio, it is a male dolphin, name aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler
    My Dolph joke still stands (well, in my head).

Yes, they are always referring to the dolphin as 'He'.

Titana.

Well, that's ok then. Since it was in Israel, I wonder if it was a jewish wedding?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Here are some short news storys i thought were strange and kind a funny.

From New Jersey

A man walked into a 7-11, put a $20 bill on the counter and asked for change. When the clerk opened the cash drawer, the man pulled a gun and asked for all the cash in the register, which the clerk promptly provided. The man took the cash from the clerk and fled--leaving the $20 bill on the counter. The total amount of cash he got from the drawer? Fifteen dollars.

Gopher Problem

Three janitors at an elementary school in Ceres, California, tried to freeze a gopher to death by spraying it with a solvent that freezes gum and wax so it can be peeled or chipped away. Jeff Davis, 35, said he and his colleagues had sprayed several cans of the gum remover on the gopher inside a small, poorly ventilated utility room with the doors closed when one of them tried to light a cigarette. Sparks from the lighter ignited the solvent, causing an explosion that blew the janitors out of the utility room, sending them and 16 pupils to the hospital. The gopher survived and was later released in a field. Ceres Unified School District Superintendent Bruce Newlin commented that the men "used extraordinarily poor judgment."

From TEXAS

A man convicted of robbery worked out a deal to pay $9600 in damages rather than serve a prison sentence. For payment, he provided the court a check--a *forged* check. He got 10 years.

From New Jersey

A man successfully broke into a bank's basement through a street-level window, cutting himself up pretty badly in the process. He then realized that (1) he could not get to the money from where he was, (2) he could not climb back out the window through which he had entered, and (3) he was bleeding pretty badly. So he located a phone and dialed "911" for help ...

Titana.

How to get back at annoyances. (clic the video)

http://edition.cnn.com/offbeat/?eref=yahoo/

Titana.

Some ten winters ago a teenager had his
    mountain bike stolen. But there was snow on
    the ground and...wait for it...he
    followed the tracks to a house across town
    and called the police in!

Dogs that can smell cancer.

A study to be published in the March 2006 issue of the journal Integrative Cancer Therapies says dogs may have the capacity to contribute to early cancer detection.
    http://www.upi.com/ConsumerHealthDai...5-102420-5522r

Titana.

Has this one been posted?

Woman suffocates in house clutter.

Quote Originally Posted by beskeptical

Clutter Busting: Break it down into 10 steps, then get going
    Is "get organized" one of your New Year's resolutions? You're not alone. It's consistently one of the top three resolutions set every year.
    Ironically, one of the most emailed articles on that same page is the above.

Oh boy, man attacks urinal....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10736641

PARIS - A 76-year-old performance artist was arrested after attacking Marcel Duchamp’s “Fountain” — a porcelain urinal — with a hammer, police said.
    Duchamp’s 1917 piece — an ordinary white, porcelain urinal that’s been called one of the most influential works of modern art — was slightly chipped in the attack at the Pompidou Center in Paris, the museum said Thursday. It was removed from the exhibit for repair.
    The suspect, a Provence resident whose identity was not released, already vandalized the work in 1993 — urinating into the piece when it was on display in Nimes, in southern France, police said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Star
    Oh boy, man attacks urinal....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10736641

I was trying to connect the man to the urinal via an age timeline, but the man wasn't born until ~13 years after the "art" was made. I was wondering if there was more to the hate crime than appears on surface. Perhaps, he just thinks it stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy

I was trying to connect the man to the urinal via an age timeline, but the man wasn't born until ~13 years after the "art" was made. I was wondering if there was more to the hate crime than appears on surface. Perhaps, he just thinks it stinks.
    well, he's right - in at least one sense of the word. most modern 'art' is (pardon the pun) crap.

Quote Originally Posted by beskeptical

No - but I bet she wished she had a cell phone. Technology is so cool!

Quote Originally Posted by LurchGS
    well, he's right - in at least one sense of the word. most modern 'art' is (pardon the pun) crap.
    Artist Arrested for Vandalizing Urinal
    During questioning, the man claimed his hammer attack on Wednesday was a work of performance art that might have pleased Dada artists.
    Aha, a connection!

I reiterate.

$20 Bill Printed Over Sticker Nets $25,300
    DALLAS (AP) - A $20 bill printed on paper that mysteriously had an ordinary fruit sticker on it sold Friday for $25,300, an auction company official said.

The flawed note bears a red, green and yellow Del Monte sticker next to Andrew Jackson's portrait.

The buyer at the auction in Orlando, Fla., did not want to be identified, said Dustin Johnston, director of auctions for Heritage Galleries and Auctioneers of Dallas.
    My guess is Fresh Del Monte, which headquarters are in Southern Florida, bought the bill. I did not realize Del Monte (canned goods) and Fresh Del Monte where two separate companies.

LoneWulf is correct as far as I am aware, too. Basically you can say anything you want to about the dead. Where you have to tread cautiously is where what you are saying has an effect on the living left behind (Ronald Reagan was a serial canibal might be actionable because it implies collusion with other, still living, people. George Washington, First President of the United States was a bigamist should not be actionable. cool shoes)

LoneWulf is correct as far as I am aware, too. Basically you can say anything you want to about the dead. Where you have to tread cautiously is where what you are saying has an effect on the living left behind (Ronald Reagan was a serial canibal might be actionable because it implies collusion with other, still living, people. George Washington, First President of the United States was a bigamist should not be actionable. cool shoes)
    Wrong thread?

yeah - weird. I have no idea how it got in here

Quote Originally Posted by Candy
    Wrong thread?
    Yep, I am sure he feels wonderful right now...

..How did you manage this one Lurch?

yeah - weird. I have no idea how it got in here
    yea...sure....

not a clue - I was over in the post-wormfood comments from Carl Sagan thread.. posted my response (which you see here on this thread)... and >>poof<< both it and I were over here

I bet Moonrock could explain it

not a clue - I was over in the post-wormfood comments from Carl Sagan thread.. posted my response (which you see here on this thread)... and >>poof<< both it and I were over here

This is certainly Strange News.

Or cansouth...:lmao:

Couple finds condom inside bag of nuts....

Police said someone had drilled a hole in the nut, emptied the shell, inserted a condom then plugged the hole with wood putty.

http://www.wftv.com/irresistible/5885773/detail.html

Titana.

lol, good thing they didn't try and eat it first.

Talk about unexpected results: Burning Mouse Ignites Blaze That Destroys Home

Probably more sad than strange:Woman Found Dead Thought She'd Come Back To Life