Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange News

Strange News

I love reading about strange news. I notice every once in awhile there is a thread or two. These stories fascinate me for some reason. Here's my first contribution. The stories outside of the USA are always better. Dare to share?

Woman Swallows Cell Phone After Argument
    BLUE SPRINGS, Mo. (AP) - It was a conversation stopper. A lovers' dispute over a cell phone took a serious turn early Friday morning when the woman ended the spat by swallowing the phone whole.
    She literally has a big mouth.

Community Celebrates Festivus
    ERIE, Pa. (AP) - The celebration of Festivus is alive and well in northwestern Pennsylvania, nearly a decade after the bizarre "holiday" garnered pop culture notoriety on "Seinfeld."
    I didn’t realize wrestling was part of the tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy
    I love reading about strange news. I notice every once in awhile there is a thread or two. These stories fascinate me for some reason. Here's my first contribution. The stories outside of the USA are always better. Dare to share?

You made me laugh. Wonder if she'll "ring" in the New Year.

I know ..

Merry Xmas young lady & anyone else that reads my poor pun.

There was a young woman from Bright
    Who swallowed a phone in a fight
    Her stomach did sing
    When I gave her a ring
    But her phone bill was out of sight
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    There was a young woman from Bright
    Who swallowed a phone in a fight
    Her stomach did sing
    When I gave her a ring
    But her phone bill was out of sight
    Good one swift....

..Did anyone see that story yesterday about the 2 mouthed fish? Strange sight, I will see if I can find it...

Found it Click

A remarkable fellow, our Swift
    Makes use of his wonderful gift
    His powers of thought
    are so good that they ought
    to halt conversational drift

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Star
    Found it Click
    Two-mouthed fish heads to Harvard
    No one from Clarence Olberding’s family ever made it to Harvard, but now his two-mouthed trout will get the chance. James Lee, a research fellow at Harvard’s Museum of Comparative Zoology, called Olberding Thursday to ask if he would donate the unusual catch.
    The first story I read said Olberding was going to eat the fish. Now, it looks like the little guy is headed for Harvard.

God help us if they ever find a woman with two mouths!

[ducks and runs for the bomb shelter]

Quote Originally Posted by LurchGS

Indeed it would bring forth the Apocalypse...

Disclaimer:
    Please note that the views and opinions of LurchGS are his alone, and do not necessarily represent those of the rest of members of the male persuasion in any manner, officially or unofficially. The views and opinions of LurchGS are not prescreened or modified in any way before his posts are placed on the internet.

I dedicate the next story to LurchGS.

Mystery giver bestows $15,000 diamond ring
    Motorist returns to unlocked car to find sparkler, note mourning lost love
    WESTBOROUGH, Mass. - Imagine getting off the train after work and finding a $15,000 diamond ring in your car.
    I’m guessing she said, “No”.

either that or she's a ghost..

Judge Lets Man Change Name to Jesus Christ
    NEW YORK (AP) - A Manhattan man's holiday spirits soared to celestial heights Friday when a judge gave him permission to change his name to Jesus Christ.

Jose Luis Espinal, 42, of Washington Heights, said he was "happy" and "grateful" that the judge approved the change, effective immediately. Espinal said he was moved to seek the name change about a year ago when it dawned on him, "I am the person that is that name."

y'know.. I've been trying not to say this... but every time I see the title of this thread I can't help but think of the McKenzie Brothers... and I start singing that dratted song in my head

y'know.. I've been trying not to say this... but every time I see the title of this thread I can't help but think of the McKenzie Brothers... and I start singing that dratted song in my head
    Great, now I'm thinking the same thing.

"Stra-a-ange [Brew] News!"

Now I'll have that stuck in my head all day...

WWJD

Alaska Researchers Study Reindeer Biology
    "I have nothing against Santa Claus. I love Christmas," animal researcher Milan Shipka said. "But reindeer meat is healthy and it tastes good, and most people don't think of Santa eating his reindeer when he's done on the 26th."
    "I call it rump of Rudolph," he said. "My wife says, 'Don't say that around all the nieces and nephews, otherwise they won't eat it.'"
    I’ve never tried reindeer meat. I do remember a family in Anchorage that kept a reindeer named Star. Every once in awhile someone would poison it, but the family would quickly replace it.

Men Rescue Dog Frozen to Railroad Tracks
    CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis. (AP) - He's missing a lot of hair, but a Siberian husky has a new name and a new life, thanks to a construction worker and police officer who rescued him from a railroad track minutes before a train arrived.
    The dog was named “Ice Train” by the Chippewa County Humane Association. I can think of some other, not so family friendly, choice words for the lucky pup.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange News
    The judge said name change applications usually are not denied just because the change might cause practical difficulties or be thought unwise, as long as a person with the same name does not object to the proposed change.
    Im sure he proved jesus doesnt have a problem... with having the same name

I thought this was a common trait among politicians, male or female.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

not quite - politicians talk out of both SIDES of the mouth, and all should be required to change their name to Janus

December 22, 2005
    "Two courts in Michigan have ruled that the insurer of a truck must pay $18,000 for damage caused to a small airplane that crashed after clipping the truck [being lawfully driven on a road] as the pilot tried to land in a grassy airfield...the plane is not a highway vehicle, and since it struck the truck and never touched the road surface, the accident didn't occur upon a road...Wall, the truck's owner, said he now has a $59,000 claim on his insurance record that reflects the cost of defending the case."

On the other hand...

ABC News: Swallowing Cell Phone May Not Be Voluntary

A woman who police thought deliberately tried to swallow her cell phone during an argument with her boyfriend was apparently the victim of an assault instead, authorities said. [...] "It appears she didn't voluntarily swallow this phone," Kintz said. "It's not quite the way it was first portrayed."
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...

was that cell phone's shape just like a medicine tablet ?

candy this is interesting news, really.

sunil

Alaska Researchers Study Reindeer Biology

I’ve never tried reindeer meat. I do remember a family in Anchorage that kept a reindeer named Star. Every once in awhile someone would poison it, but the family would quickly replace it.
    I had reindeer saugsage when I was in Alaska (see the Monique PM thread) and it was quite good - reminded me a lot of venison.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001
    On the other hand...

ABC News: Swallowing Cell Phone May Not Be Voluntary
    Ohhhh, a follow-up story. Thanks! Now, to the "boy friend", I don't think this was very nice. I'm inclined to call it attempted murder.

Nun Bun Stolen From Tenn. Coffeehouse
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - When Bob Bernstein arrived at his coffeehouse to assess the scene of an early Christmas morning break-in, the one thing he noticed missing was the cinnamon bun that bears a striking likeness to Mother Teresa.

Bernstein said he believes that the culprit is someone angry over the shop displaying the world-famous pastry, which has been preserved with shellac. A jar of money next to the Nun Bun was not stolen.

not quite - politicians talk out of both SIDES of the mouth, and all should be required to change their name to Janus
    Didn't Janus have two mouths?
    Ohhhh, a follow-up story. Thanks! Now, to the "boy friend", I don't think this was very nice. I'm inclined to call it attempted murder.
    Despicable. He was probably trying to make her eat her words.

Here's a story about a Carolina man who veered off a road on Christmas Eve, just missed an abandoned house, and knocked off the top of an old well. When he got out, he fell thirty feet down the well, where he waited--mostly unharmed--in waist deep water, until the Highway Patrol responded around 9:30 the next morning. I'm pretty sure which of Santa's lists he was on.

Quote Originally Posted by hhEb09'1
    Here's a story about a Carolina man who veered off a road on Christmas Eve, just missed an abandoned house, and knocked off the top of an old well. When he got out, he fell thirty feet down the well, where he waited--mostly unharmed--in waist deep water, until the Highway Patrol responded around 9:30 the next morning. I'm pretty sure which of Santa's lists he was on.
    "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all..."

Quote Originally Posted by hhEb09'1
    Didn't Janus have two mouths?
    Two faces, in fact.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"