Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible "good" news for Star Trek???

Possible "good" news for Star Trek???

http://www.trektoday.com/news/011205_01.shtml

the return of Captain Picard??? I say that TNG needs a proper send off...YES PLEASE

This is then, some previously unknown use of the word 'good'?
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

I believe the OP is teasing us with some urban slang. Ex: that is one BAD ride, dude!

Well, depending on who would actually direct the movie, this could well be a good thing.

The problem is, of course, that a film with closure would almost neccessarily mean some pretty definite wrap-ups for characters, and that I can guarnatee the fans would not like.

Frankly, I think anything that has to do with the Trek franchise, for the foreseeable future, is going to be steeped in a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

...John...

i suppose they have to show Riker and Troi settle down and have a few kids, and show the "new" Data android learning stuff.
    maybe the new Data can babysit the Riker/troi offspring, and in the process, the kid can get out and start a major interstellar war.
    and from there, it only gets funnier..

by the way, i liked Nemesis. it was a pretty bleak film with some really good parts in it. but, then again, it did have a dune buggy, so not all was good.

TNG characters are the lamest ever. Take Picard and Data out, and you have Voyager minus Seven and the Doctor.

Wipe them out.... All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop
    This is then, some previously unknown use of the word 'good'?
    Nice Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy reference.

Well, this should be interesting, depending on how closely they abide by the books following Nemesis, which have been incredibly consistent in continuity since then. Seems like the writers at the core of Star Trek's novels might have learned the lessons Braga and Berman failed to and started working on closing some of the plot holes going forward. The new series based on the USS Titan are pretty interesting, including the final closure of a few of the gaps left with the Romulans at the end of Nemesis.

There are always possibilities, if by some miracle, the writers and producers managed to hit one out of the ballpark with another good (in the traditional sense of the word) movie, they could get the old girl past her darker days.

they need to make another "Wrath of Khan" type movie. but i guess maybe the Picard clone in Nemesis was supposed to be the TNG version of Khan.

Stewart's X-Men 3 is scheduled to open in May of 2006.
    Yay!

hmm.. i just thought of something..
    who would win a battle between the X men and the Enterprise E?
    who would be the better leader- Picard or Prof X..
    if nothing else, it would be fun to see Wolverine cut Worf to shreds...

Hey, I have nothing against Worf...

The only way to send off TNG is to tie it into its first and last episodes, and finally resolve the strange relationship between Picard, Q and Guinan, and lay to rest whatever the hell the Q actually have planned for humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik
    if nothing else, it would be fun to see Wolverine cut Worf to shreds...

Wolverine is standing 15 feet from Worf, extends his claws, yells, and makes slashing motions in a display of power.

Worf briefly glances at his nearby Batliff, rolls his eyes, raises his phaser and vaporizes Wolverine.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

After a few hours, Worf's phaser no longer has enough power to heat a cup of Earl Gray, let alone bother Wolverine.

Wolverine gets up yet again, looking bored.

Data offers to read the dictionary to Worf, with special attention to the definition of the word 'regeneration'.

Worf sulks.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality
    The only way to send off TNG is to tie it into its first and last episodes, and finally resolve the strange relationship between Picard, Q and Guinan, and lay to rest whatever the hell the Q actually have planned for humanity.

nice idea

Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    After a few hours, Worf's phaser no longer has enough power to heat a cup of Earl Gray, let alone bother Wolverine.

Data offers to read the dictionary to Worf, with special attention to the definition of the word 'regeneration'.

Worf sulks.

way to take it and run with it. that's kind of the way i was thinking it would go down when i thought of it, except Data is "dead" now, just like Spock was "dead" after Wrath of Khan. so it would be Giordi reading him the definition of "regeneration" instead, and explaining to him how the graviton flux in Wolverines Adamantium skeleton affects the subspace continuum, thus allowing him to regenerate...

Quote Originally Posted by Moose

Worf sulks.
    Okay, perhaps I don't know enough about the character but, powerful as his regeneration capability is, I didn't think he could reform from a vapor cloud. That's why Worf vaporized him, rather than merely put a hole in him or stun him (I would assume he would be extremely resistant to stunning). Is there a reference where Wolverine devaporized? (It doesn't seem reasonable, but then, that's no real limit in the comic pages.)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn
    Okay, perhaps I don't know enough about the character but, powerful as his regeneration capability is, I didn't think he could reform from a vapor cloud. That's why Worf vaporized him, rather than merely put a hole in him or stun him (I would assume he would be extremely resistant to stunning). Is there a reference where Wolverine devaporized? (It doesn't seem reasonable, but then, that's no real limit in the comic pages.)
    Heh. The (second) movie had him regenerate from a head shot. The bullet obviously didn't hit adamantium skullplate as it hadn't deformed. Even a little.

From there, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he'd be able to eat a phaser blast (even a "level 16 blah blah blah"). Wolverine will survive anything so long as the plot demands it, even having his component molecules scattered about the room.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Good news? The only good news could be that Voyager was just a dream. (Enterprise doesn't count because that was a nightmare!)

Quote Originally Posted by Glom
    Good news? The only good news could be that Voyager was just a dream. (Enterprise doesn't count because that was a nightmare!)
    So what, Kirk wakes up in bed with Susan Pleshette, dressed as a Andorian slave girl, and realizes that the rest was just a dream?

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

What happens if they get Braga to write it, now that Threshold has been axed? (ducking and running)

*sits up bolt upright in bed, sweating profusely* Ack! NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!!

Whew! I just had this terrible dream with the scariest thought ever. It was my worst nightmare come to life. You were there, and you, and you were there too!

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead
    What happens if they get Braga to write it, now that Threshold has been axed? (ducking and running)
    Ack! NOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!111eleven

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead
    Don't worry, I'm sure there is a rabid Trek Fan that has hired a professional hit man to deal with that situation.

Braga:Aggravated fans, I have decided to do another trek film.........

Crowd:click,click,click, click,click,A drumroll is heard

Executioner:"Ready, Aim, Fire!"
    Last edited by Gemini; 2005-Dec-06 at 12:51 AM.

More like "Ready, Aim, YAWN"
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Peteman
    Don't worry, I'm sure there is a rabid Trek Fan that has hired a professional hit man to deal with that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini
    Braga:Aggravated fans, I have decided to do another trek film.........

Crowd:click,click,click, click,click,A drumroll is heard

Executioner:"Ready, Aim, Fire!"
    Hah! Like that would work!

http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.ph...30&postcount=6

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

You know, at this point, the only good news for Trek would be redoing it entirely. Sooo....

How about a series taking place in the future time period that occasionally popped up in Voyager? Make the Borg the bizarrely changed descendents of members of a colony ship, sent into the Delta Quadrant through an artificial wormhole. Get rid of the Borg Queen and the Borg habit of assimilating people. Show corruption in the Federation, and revolution brewing among the Borg.

Have characters, for once, who wouldn't be all goodie-goodie or completely evil - somewhere in the gray areas in between. Sometimes the Federation would be the good guys; sometimes the Borg; sometimes no one would have what's right and just in their mind, and sometimes the choices would all look bad, no matter how well-meaning one was.

Perhaps bring back a few old characters. Picard, more machine than man, letting his Borg side creep back to ward off death; a disgraced hero, a coward in his own eyes, regretting his decision every hour of every day, and forced to live with it. Janeway, a withered corpse barely kept alive by the machines tending her, telling her story to her children and grandchildren and wishing for the light of better days. Worf: Klingon ex-admiral, white-haired and world-weary, no longer able to deal with the Federation's web of lies, disenchanted with his life and his race. Seven of Nine, machine once more, a lonely aging starship with a human brain, roving the vast empty spaces in search of some answer and unable to decide which side she's on, which path to choose. Spock, another brain in a tank, unwilling prophet to a people who have at long last, and against all hope, abandoned all pretense of reason.

Redo the ships. No more smooth-ugly hulls and crazy Christmas-tree lights; smooth dull metal now, vast ominous dark shapes that slide through space like silent birds, sensors turning, sifting the emptiness.

Try to hire Greg Egan and Stephen Baxter and Alastair Reynolds for writing the scripts, perhaps. Get some serious science consultation. Do time-travel stories without the damn reset button. No more noise in space, no more stupid technobabble. Have new characters that people actually care about, new alien races that are scientifically pluasible without having to resort to hokey genetic seeding hypotheses, genuinely interesting and innovative plots.

But then it wouldn't be Trek, would it? The essence of Trek, after all, is and always has been pure and unadulterated cheese. If you make it worthy of serious viewing, it's not Trek any more.

this-

http://www.trektoday.com/news/051205_01.shtml

X'men's Singer to direct?