Thread: konus 500 short tube reflector

Wink konus 500 short tube reflector

has anyone used this scope if so can they tell me if it is a decent scope and the pros and cons of it

With the exception of the focal length, the OTA (optical tube assembly) appears to be very similar to the Orion Starblast, which is a rather good little telescope considering its price. Planetary performance will probably be less than impressive but it should excel as a rich-field telescope. I would guess that the OEM is the Chinese company Synta.

Dave Mitsky

The OEM would be Konus. There's a lot of confusion about the term "original equipment manufacturer". Many people believe it refers to the company that does the actual manufacturing. It does not. The OEM is the company that sells the product to the consumer. For example, Dell Computer buys parts from various suppliers but as far as a Dell customer is concerned, Dell is the manufacturer--the original equipment manufacturer. Dell is considered an OEM even when it does no more than slap its name on a laptop made by another company in Taiwan.

If you search the Web you will find many definitions of the term that define it the way Dave has. Every one of them is wrong. Here's a definition that gets it right (i.e., in the way the term was first used).

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/d.../m0050845.html

I contacted the company a few months ago when I became interested in this telescope to ask them if the telescope had a parabolic or spherical mirror. The initial reply was that the documentation did not state one way or the other, but that the sales rep's opinion was that it was probably parabolic. I wrote back saying I wasn't going to commit my money to purchase unless I was certain, because, due to the scope's focal length, a parabolic mirror would be a significant factor. Another sales rep responded, saying they could not get information from the manufacturer but that I should go ahead and buy it since it was most likely a parabolic mirror anyway. I wrote back a third time requesting a definite yes or no answer and got a third email from a third rep who said he had contacted the company and the mirror was, in fact, spherical. This experience has turned me away from the Konus brand completely, but your mileage may vary.

thanks all i quess my search goes on for a decent scope in the 550 range

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer
    The OEM would be Konus. There's a lot of confusion about the term "original equipment manufacturer". Many people believe it refers to the company that does the actual manufacturing. It does not. The OEM is the company that sells the product to the consumer. For example, Dell Computer buys parts from various suppliers but as far as a Dell customer is concerned, Dell is the manufacturer--the original equipment manufacturer. Dell is considered an OEM even when it does no more than slap its name on a laptop made by another company in Taiwan.

If you search the Web you will find many definitions of the term that define it the way Dave has. Every one of them is wrong. Here's a definition that gets it right (i.e., in the way the term was first used).

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/d.../m0050845.html
    I don't want to argue the point but the definition listed at the URL you listed starts off as:

"Company that manufactures equipment or, illogically, has equipment manufacturered for it by another company."

It would seem to me that the first part of the definition is the logical one as stated.

Dave Mitsky

If I may jump in here...the operative word in OEM is Manufacturer. Yes, Dell assembles computers from parts supplied by other companies. That makes them the OEM.

Many telescope marketers do not do any assembly at all. They contract with another company to slap their name on a scope, then they sell it as their own.

Some companies do both. They make some of the models they sell and contract others out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crum
    I contacted the company a few months ago when I became interested in this telescope to ask them if the telescope had a parabolic or spherical mirror. The initial reply was that the documentation did not state one way or the other, but that the sales rep's opinion was that it was probably parabolic. I wrote back saying I wasn't going to commit my money to purchase unless I was certain, because, due to the scope's focal length, a parabolic mirror would be a significant factor. Another sales rep responded, saying they could not get information from the manufacturer but that I should go ahead and buy it since it was most likely a parabolic mirror anyway. I wrote back a third time requesting a definite yes or no answer and got a third email from a third rep who said he had contacted the company and the mirror was, in fact, spherical. This experience has turned me away from the Konus brand completely, but your mileage may vary.
    The StarBlast has a parabolic mirror. If the Konus scope does, in fact, have a spherical mirror, it must also have an integral doublet lens system to correct for spherical aberration, which would make it a Jones-Bird catadioptric Newtonian design.

Dave Mitsky

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mitsky
    The StarBlast has a parabolic mirror. If the Konus scope does, in fact, have a spherical mirror, it must also have an integral doublet lens system to correct for spherical aberration, which would make it a Jones-Bird catadioptric Newtonian design.

Dave Mitsky
    http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=13

(just in case the OP doesn't know what that bit of information means in terms of telescope quality and such)

With that said, at least one person has apparently thought enough of the design to invest time, energy and finances into building a 12-inch scope of this design:

http://edhiker.home.comcast.net/telescope12inch.html

I'll have to re-evaluate my instinctive distate for lens-augmented reflector designs in light of this. My issue with the Konus system was that I had to pull teeth to find out the truth of what type of mirror it had, and was (I believe) deliberately misled prior to finding out what that truth was.