Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quiz For The Oldsters on the Forum

Quiz For The Oldsters on the Forum

Here's a test for the older members of the forum. The answers are printed below in case you get stuck. Have fun.

01. After the Lone Ranger saved the day and rode off into the sunset, the grateful citizens would ask, "Who was that masked man?" Invariably, someone would answer, I don't know, but he left this behind. What did he leave behind?____________

02. When the Beatles first came to the U.S. in early 1964, we all watched them on The __________________ Show.

03. "Get your kicks, ___________________."

04. "The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed___________________."

05. "In the jungle, the mighty jungle, ________________."

06. After the Twist, The Mashed Potato, and the Watusi, we "danced under a stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called the "_____________."

07. "N_E_S_T_L_E_S", Nestle's makes the very best _______________."

08. Satchmo was America's "Ambassador of Goodwill" Our parents shared this great jazz trumpet player with us. His name was _________________.

09. What takes a licking and keeps on ticking? _______________

10. Red Skelton's hobo character was named __________________ and Red always ended his television show by saying, "Good Night, and "_______________".

11. Some Americans who protested the Vietnam War did so by burning their____________.

12. The cute little car with the engine in the back and the trunk in the front was called the VW. What other names did it go by? ____________ &_______________.

13. In 1971, singer Don MacLean sang a song about, "the day the music died." This was a tribute to ___________________.

14. We can remember the first satellite placed into orbit. The Russians did it. It was called ___________________.

15. One of the big fads of the late 50's and 60's was a large plastic ring that we twirled around our waist. It was called the ________________

Scroll Down:

ANSWERS:

01. The Lone Ranger left behind a silver bullet.
    02. The Ed Sullivan Show
    03. On Route 66
    04. To protect the innocent.
    05. The Lion sleeps tonight
    06. The limbo
    07. Chocolate
    08. Louis Armstrong
    09. The Timex watch
    10. Freddy, The Freeloader, and "Good Night, and may God Bless."
    11. Draft cards
    12. Beetle or Bug
    13. Buddy Holly
    14. Sputnik
    15. Hoola-hoop

By the way, I scored 14.5 out of 15. I guessed Clem Cadiddlehopper instead of Freddy the Freeloader in #10.

I am pleased to report that I only knew 13. Some of them have an odd wording, though; for example, in #14, it is not necessary to remember Sputnik to know what it was called...

14 1/2 right.

I forgot the name of Red Skelton's character.

So what? I'm almost 47 (conceived during Eisenhower administration).

I got most of them. What does that say? (I'm 28. By the time I was born, the Beatles had long since broken up--and, in fact, one of the earliest memories I can put a date to is John Lennon's death. A friend of my older sister's was born the day Nixon resigned.)

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

oh dear.. I feel special.. nailed them all

Piece of toast. Challenge us.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjumperdon
    Piece of toast. Challenge us.
    Hey, at our age just that fact that we remember is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Brother Dunk
    Hey, at our age just that fact that we remember is good enough for me.
    Remember what?

Re: Quiz For The Oldsters on the Forum

15/15

How about some hard ones?

I might be back with a few.

If I remember to...

11.5, but a lot of this was well before my time, my aged friends.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

I knew 11.5 (I must admit my mind went blank on #6, but I do know it).

I have a few:
    1. During the mid 60's, a large number of bands from a particular country became very popular in the US. What was this phenomen called?
    2. When Elvis appeared fot the third time on the Ed Sullivan show, they were very careful not to show something of his that was considered particularly risque. What was it?
    3. Among all its problems Woodstock suffered particularly from the lack of what?
    4. What was the catch phrase taught to children on what to do in the event of a nuclear attack?
    5. Where were children taught to hide in the event of a nuclear attack when they were at school?
    6. VW made another popular automobile besides the beetle at around the same time. What was it?
    7. A now unusual car design became extremely popular with the surfer community in the 60's and 70's, so much that it is still seen as the archetypal surfer car. What was the distinguishing feature of this type of car?
    8. What was the term for it?
    9. What was the most major difference between telephone service up until the late 60's and today? This is not a question about phone technology, it is a question about the policies of the telephone companies.

1. The British Invasion
    2. His hips
    3.Toilets
    4. Duck and Cover
    5. Under their desks
    5. A van
    7. It has a large amount of visible wooden bodywork
    8. Woodie or Woody
    9. You rented your phone from the phone company instead of buying it, most consumer telephone lines were shared by several households, long-distance connections were done by operator isntead of directly

Edit: original #6 was erroneous, so it has been deleted (it said origin of the peace symbol was an airplane). Additional answers to #9 added
    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 2005-Nov-20 at 09:01 PM.

Wow, I really failed that one, 2/10. But I think there are other reasonable answers to #10.

6/10 on TBC's quiz. Again, a bit before my time.

Quote Originally Posted by montebianco
    Wow, I really failed that one, 2/10. But I think there are other reasonable answers to #10.
    If you list them, I will add them.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    6/10 on TBC's quiz. Again, a bit before my time.
    A bit before my time, too.

That was a little tougher. I missed #3; and I remember reading somewhere long ago that the peace symbol was derived from a slogan - "Ban the Bomb."

Quote Originally Posted by montebianco
    But I think there are other reasonable answers to #10.
    Agreed. Some others: Party lines vs individual accounts. Operator-assisted long distance vs direct dial. Tone vs pulse dialing. Pre and post ma-bell. Pre and post Carrot-Top long distance reselling. Pre and post cell-phones. Pre and post answering machines. Pre and post 10c/minute long distance. Pre and post phone booths on every corner.

I'd add metered vs unlimited local calls, but that's a relatively recent concept in Europe, and if I understand right, still not happening in the UK.

ok, I forsee a game of Trivial Pursuit looming - again I got them all, though I should point out that the peace symbol thing is an urban myth - that particular design has been around for centuries in many cultures - just like the swastika.

However, it's recent design is attributed to Gerald Holtom in 1958, and he indicates it incorporates the semaphore letters N and D (for Nuclear Disarmament).

Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    Agreed. Some others: Party lines vs individual accounts. Operator-assisted long distance vs direct dial. Tone vs pulse dialing. Pre and post ma-bell. Pre and post Carrot-Top long distance reselling. Pre and post cell-phones. Pre and post answering machines. Pre and post 10c/minute long distance. Pre and post phone booths on every corner.

I'd add metered vs unlimited local calls, but that's a relatively recent concept in Europe, and if I understand right, still not happening in the UK.
    Most of those are either technological changes or occured much later than the late 60's. I will add Party Lines and Operator-assisted long distance. If you include technology, then phones that actually ring would also be a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by LurchGS
    ok, I forsee a game of Trivial Pursuit looming - again I got them all, though I should point out that the peace symbol thing is an urban myth - that particular design has been around for centuries in many cultures - just like the swastika.

However, it's recent design is attributed to Gerald Holtom in 1958, and he indicates it incorporates the semaphore letters N and D (for Nuclear Disarmament).
    Thanks, I've deleted that question.

While we're at it, in #12 in the original list Volkswagen is not synonymous with beetle, Volkswagen made other cars as well.

We used to watch Red Skelton as a familty, but I couldn't recall Freddie the Freeloader's name. Otherwise I got all of them in both tests.

The You know you are old when... thread somewhere below contains a lot of old stuff like this.

1. Who was Gerald McBoingBoing, and what was different about him.

2. Many years ago, what was a more common name for Muslims? (Kareem is not the answer)

3. Felix the Cat was a wonderful cat, and he'd make you laugh so much that what would happen to you?

4. What color were STOP signs before they became red?

5. What was on the rear of a penny before they put the Lincoln Monument there?

6. Who was Kookie?

7. What did Smilin' Ed ask his friend Froggy to do?

8. When was the transistor invented?

9. What was the name of the Russian space dog?

10. What did Russian Premier Nikita Khruschev do to emphasize a point in a famous incident?

11. What did Nikita say about the relative longevity of COmmunism versus Capitalism?

1. Gerald could not talk, but he could make any other sound with his vocal chords. Railroad train, symphony orchestra, you name it.

2. Mohammedans.

3. Your sides would ache and your heart would go "pitter pat."

4. Yellow.

5. Wheat.

6. Kookie was the parking attendant on a detective show 77 SUnset Strip. He was played by Edd Byrnes and was quite a phenomenon. Bonus points if you remember "Baby, you're the ginchiest."

7. "Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy."

8. 1947.

9. Leika.

10. He took off his shoe and banged it on the podium.

11. "We will still be there at your burial."

good show - I missed #2 and #7 - though upon seeing it, wasn't it "twang your magic Twanger, Froggy"?

1) who played Claribel the Clown?

2) Who played Captain Kangaroo?

3) who invented the rotating light seen on police (and other) cars, and where did he make his money?

4) what TV role did Bobby Troup play?

5) who directed the Warner Brothers animnated classic "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"?

6) who narrated it?

1) Bob Keeshan
    2) Bob keeshan
    3) Frank Mars (why else are they called Mars Lights?) - made his money in Candy - particularly chocolate.
    4) Dr Early, in the 1972 show "Emergency!" - he was married to Julie London, who portrayed Nurse Dixie McCall - a moderate love interest for Dr Bracket (Played by Bob Fuller)
    5) Chuck Jones
    6) Boris Karlof

I did not get a single one of the last two quizzes.

4/11 and 1/6, respectively. Of course, I might have had an advantage on question 10 of Enzp's quiz, because my username at almost every forum except this one is Khrushchev's Other Shoe.

I associate MArs Light with railroad locomotives - some of which sport them. I did not know police beacons were called Mars Lights too.

Black Cat, if you are in the UK, I don't doubt we can get some past you. i sure don't have a clue what is on any of your money, aside from, I am sure, the Queen. Nor have I seen your TV from the 1950s.

I never saw Emergency, so I missed that. By 1972, I was out of college and touring with rock and roll bands. Missed a lot of TV then. In fact I saw almost zero Star Trek until reruns later.

1. We all know Captain Kangaroo's sidekick was Mr.Greenjeans. Who were his two Indian pals as Clarabell the CLown?

2. Who were Terry and the Pirates?

3. Identify Nellie Bell.

4. How did Truth or Consequences, New Mexico get its name?

5. Adelai Stevenson was a presidential candidate. What symbol did he use in his campaign? Remember his slogan?

1. Chief Thunderthud and the lovely Princess Summerfall WInterspring.

2. A newspaper comic strip.

3. Nellie Bell was a Jeep.

4. The town changed its name when the TV show by the same name agreed to broadcasting from there.

5. There was a famous photo of him with his feet up on a desk revealing a hole worn in the bottom of his shoe. Campaign signs featured a shoe sole with a hole in it and the slogan "All the way with Adelai." I think that was the 1952 election.

We award extra points for that Monte.

I thought it was Madly for Adelai. If it was, I scored 0.5. If it wasn't, I've been shut out...

Quote Originally Posted by Enzp
    We award extra points for that Monte.
    OK, I'd like my extra points awarded to your last quiz, that's where I need them the most

Isn't "Leika" actually spelled "Laika"?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

good set - I got 3 of 5 (grew up reading the Chicago Tribune)

Completely missed Clarabell's sidekicks and the Stevenson bit.