Thread: Cross-referencing NGC/IC records

Cross-referencing NGC/IC records

Hi there,
    I was recently suprised to find a number of 'single star' entries in the Revised NGC / IC catalogue, as I always believed that it contained only Nebula / Galaxy / Clusters etc.
    My question is: Despite quite intensive Google'ing on the matter I cannot find any cross referencing between HD or HR star records and NGC / IC 'single star' objects. Do some 'single star' objects in the NGC / IC relate to HD or HR records? Am I being ignorant on this matter? If not is it possible to cross reference these records?

As always, Gercha!
    Shortcake

Quote Originally Posted by Shortcake
    Hi there,
    I was recently suprised to find a number of 'single star' entries in the Revised NGC / IC catalogue, as I always believed that it contained only Nebula / Galaxy / Clusters etc.
    My question is: Despite quite intensive Google'ing on the matter I cannot find any cross referencing between HD or HR star records and NGC / IC 'single star' objects. Do some 'single star' objects in the NGC / IC relate to HD or HR records? Am I being ignorant on this matter? If not is it possible to cross reference these records?

As always, Gercha!
    Shortcake
    Any single star which could have been mistaken for a nebulous object (IIRC, this usually happened with visual observations in the fields of known nebula) would be very faint, 14th magnitude or fainter, so they tend not to show up in the best-known catalogs. Most of the discoveries going into the NGC had been visual, with photography entering the picture more strongly for the later IC lists. (There are a couple of NGC Seyfert galaxies, like 1068 and 4151, as well as the core of M31, which show up as "stars" in the BD catalog, but that's going the other way around).

3. 2005-Nov-01, 11:57 PM

This NGC/IC project website might be of some help: "The NGC/IC Project is an attempt to correctly identify all of the original NGC and IC objects, starting with the original discoverer's notes and working forward in time to encompass the work of contemporary astronomers, both professional and amateur, such that the identity of each of the NGC and IC objects is known with as much certainty as we can reasonably bring to it from the existing historical record."

Many Thanks

Thanks for the advice,
    I'm swayed to believe you about the magnitude of these objects, ngc3314.