Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Rules discussion

Quote Originally Posted by JAXAi View Post
    ... (the reason in the rules against hotlinking is that it costs the other site`s bandwidth)...
    That's part of the reason.
    The other is the users. I know I have trouble loading some threads on my work machine because all the protection that's loaded keeps churning on every link to detect any problems.
    And; someone's slower connection is just going to compound that (or even by itself).

(the reason in the rules against hotlinking is that it costs the other site`s bandwidth)
    Using lots of large images is also annoying to those with slow internet connections, and yes, those are still around. Another reason cited against hotlinking is to prevent BAUT from getting into any copyright trouble, whether that may be likely or not.

With that in mind, I don't think you will get in trouble for hosting images* from your own site, although a short disclaimer ("hosting site is owned by me") probably won't hurt, and prevent misunderstandings.

* (complying with the maximum image size rule)

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

One more point.
    Depending on the physical size of the picture (not the memory size), going to specific posts sometimes gets off kilter.

There are three issues at play.

1) The hotlinking server's bandwidth: Since you own the servers and bandwidth, this isn't a problem.

2) Copyrights: If you own the relevant copyrights to those images, the images are public domain, are exempt through fair use, and/or you otherwise have permission, this isn't a problem. (It helps the mod team to indicate, as a caption to the hotlinked image, the general nature of the permission you're using if it isn't clear the image is your creation.)

3) Our users' bandwidth: We'll enforce a 100K limit for a single image, and less officially, we'll want you to keep from going too much over 250K per thread page. Many of our users have bandwidth restrictions of some sort or another. And so, as a courtesy, the more it's spread out, the less of a problem it'll be. (The one exception to this is the Astrophotography forum, where we generally won't enforce image size or quantity rules, within reason.)

In short, our preference is for you to link to the image with a short description, or use thumbnails, (so that 1. our users can opt-in, and 2. we don't need to worry about liability issues), but under the circumstances I've just listed, we'll allow hotlinks. Always within reason.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Thanks for the clarity guys. As a web designer I know all about optimizing low connection speed images and while my internet is amazing I realize that American infrastructure is generally not up to Asian standards and take it into account (80% of my clients are state side, and I cant believe really there are people still on dial up...lol heck even DSL for me is intolerable). Japan is much smaller and easier to wire not to mention the competition (NTT Docomo recently announced that starting the new year my monthly bill will be reduced to 3000 yen (about 30 bucks) from 5000 yen to keep me as a customer. Not to mention I am aghast at the wireless companies in the US taking away the all-you-can-use 3G contracts. Here in Japan if they tried that they would be bankrupt within the month as all their customers went to their salivating competitors... but another discussion for another day).

Happy New Year new friends. And thanks for the warm welcome.

(80% of my clients are state side, and I cant believe really there are people still on dial up...lol heck even DSL for me is intolerable).
    This is a function of the US being a relatively early adopter of internet access. This means a lot of habits were established at an earlier part of the technology curve.

My first internet access was in the late 80s via Compuserv on a 1200 baud modem paid by the hour (yes, yes, I know there are 300 baud vets around here!)