Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Core: Gauranteed Bad Astronomy/Science

I saw the preview. I was appalled.

http://www.thecoremovie.com/

Here's a synopsis (from http://www.cinemamontreal.com):

Geophysicist Dr. Josh Keyes (Aaron Eckhart) discovers that an unknown force has caused the Earth's inner core to stop rotating. With the planet's magnetic field rapidly deteriorating, our atmosphere literally starts to come apart at the seams with catastrophic consequences. To resolve the crisis, Keyes, along with a team of the world's most gifted scientists, travel into the Earth's core in a subterranean craft piloted by "terranauts," Major Rebecca "Beck" Childs (Hilary Swank) and Colonel Robert Iverson (Bruce Greenwood). Their mission: detonate a nuclear device that will "reactivate" the core.

---

Oh help us! It looks to be like a real horrendous piece of work. Apparently, the loss of the magnetic field will trigger many thunderstorms around the globe. The shot from the preview that made me want to boycott Paramount Pictures was when lightning hits the Coliseum in Rome and it explodes.

A nuclear device in the core of the Earth. Wonderful! [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

This has the potential to one-up Armageddon on the stupidity ladder.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    I looks so awful, I've just got to see it. (It's Paramount's new strategy to boost box office ratings)

We already discussed it at http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/vi...068&forum=4&51

I think it's already one-upped Armageddon with it's premise alone. At least it's possible that a Texas-sized asteroid could come barrelling our way. But the core stopping "mysteriously" and shutting down our magnetic field? And the loss of the magnetic field immediately means disaster? And we have to go in (thousands of kilometers deep) and re-start it? With a single nukular device? Huh-yeah. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I agree with Glom on this one. It looks so bad you almost have to go see it just to see if it lives up (down?) to it's image. Jabootu is waiting for this one's soul, I'm sure.

On 2003-01-15 06:05, JS Princeton wrote:
    Here's a synopsis (from http://www.cinemamontreal.com):

Geophysicist Dr. Josh Keyes (Aaron Eckhart) discovers that an unknown force has caused the Earth's inner core to stop rotating. With the planet's magnetic field rapidly deteriorating, our atmosphere literally starts to come apart at the seams with catastrophic consequences.
    Interesting. The rotation of the inner core has almost nothing to do with the magnetic field--the inner core rotates at very nearly the same rate as we do.

Plus, the inner core is inside the "outer core." The outer core region is a couple of thousands of kilometers thick, and it's a liquid. I hope they don't mind getting wet. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I was wondering what the shearing force would be for something that would stop the core from rotating while the mantle continued on its happy way. Something ridiculous, I presume.

I think there have been around five threads that either started as being about The Core or went there. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] I am going to go see it to watch all of the nice graphics, see them use bad science, and to laugh when something stupid happens. Who is with me? -Colt

See, trailers really do make people want to see movies!

The most ridiculous statement comes from that ponsy looking guy who thinks he's so intelligent. He says, "Microwave radiation, will literally cook our planet." The statement is hilarious but the fact that he's trying to sound like he's talking sense makes it side splitting.

I saw the trailer during the 15 minutes of previews I was forced to sit through in order to watch The Two Towers.

I thought to myself, gee, the main premise is clearly impossible, the effects they propose are just silly, and the solution they use wouldn't work. I don't think I can suspend disbelief that much.

Then I thought, where's the guy and the two robots?

On 2003-01-15 17:41, aurorae wrote:

Then I thought, where's the guy and the two robots?

I don't understand, what guy and two robots? My friend told me to be quiet after him and I saw Nemesis together, I wouldn't shut up about The Core trailer and Nemesis. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] -Colt

Oh help us! It looks to be like a real horrendous piece of work. Apparently, the loss of the magnetic field will trigger many thunderstorms around the globe. The shot from the preview that made me want to boycott Paramount Pictures was when lightning hits the Coliseum in Rome and it explodes.
    I *knew* the Romans were up to no good! They built the Coliseum out of plastic explosives! [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Isn't it amazing how in movies explosives are apparently stored in the most unlikely places. Had that though at the end of "Goldeneye" when the sattilite dish receiver falls and explodes...

Thought it was common building practice to tape explosives to the structure and such. I myself never walk around without being packed with fireworks, that way somebody punches me and ka-blammo, at least I'll go down in flames and make the news.

But I mean the special effects were cool, right? They were! Don't tell me they weren't! Because they were!

Or maybe they weren't that good but I'm mesmerized by bright lights and flashing things.

You think you're unlucky to have to sit through the trailer of "The Core", well I had to sit through a trailer of "Terminator 3"! Who do you think had it tougher now, huh? That movie is a disgrace to the whole series! Argh! The pain, the pain of it all!

For Colt: The guy and the two robots.
    [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

On 2003-01-15 20:57, Eirik wrote:

I *knew* the Romans were up to no good! They built the Coliseum out of plastic explosives! [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Isn't it amazing how in movies explosives are apparently stored in the most unlikely places. Had that though at the end of "Goldeneye" when the sattilite dish receiver falls and explodes...
    Actually, during the 17th century the parthenon in greece was used to hold ammunition and was hit by a stray cannonvball and blown up. So some old buildings did blow up. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

But i agree with you there. How does a lightning strike blow something up? I am still wondering how the core can just suddenly stop like someone put the parking break on. It would take thousands of years to do that. The core is very, very massive, how does it loose the momentum? Where did this momentum go?...(Must stop thinking about movie, brain going to mush, starting to think the movie will be good, AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!....)

On 2003-01-15 23:47, g99 wrote:
    Actually, during the 17th century the parthenon in greece was used to hold ammunition and was hit by a stray cannonvball and blown up. So some old buildings did blow up. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    I heard it was denoated by a Turkish solider who failed to properly extinguish a cigerette. g99, your's is probably correct, but the somking solider is rather...compelling...

That show. I remember seeing a few episodes of it back when I had the Sci-Fi channel. Seemed pretty good. Apparently it is a cult type of thing now? -Colt

God I hate flash-based websites. You can't directly link to anything, you can't cut-and-paste anything, and they usually have all sorts of silly flashing lights, confusing buttons, and annoying configurations to navigate through. There are never any simple, user-friendly menus or descriptions in these kinds of sites. Predictably, theThe Core's official site is just as bad as any I've seen.

Anyway, I'm ranting like this because the masochist in me wanted to look around and see what other horrors I could find. I wasn't disappointed. If you want to see more of what you're in for, click here and have fun. If you can keep from getting frustrated at the stupid revolving menu thingy they have, then check out the "briefing" section for a more detailed (and laughable) look at the premise of this stinker. Also check out the "crew" bios for the cookie-cutter character lineup we'll get. Finally, when you're finished, you can hit the "panic" button at the top for something that really screams "high tech". [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

On 2003-01-15 23:51, VanBurenVandal wrote:
    On 2003-01-15 23:47, g99 wrote:
    I heard it was denoated by a Turkish solider who failed to properly extinguish a cigerette. g99, your's is probably correct, but the somking solider is rather...compelling...
    Got the info from:
    http://users.pandora.be/worldhistory.../acropolis.htm

It was the turks, but they say a venutian(?) cannonball.

On 2003-01-16 00:54, g99 wrote:
    It was the turks, but they say a venutian(?) cannonball.
    I guess I’m filing my lawsuit with Venice instead of a Turkish tobacco company…

As far as The Core goes, I’ll see it when I get back home, as a midnight show, with my friends, and we’ll turn it into a little MST3K of our own. Gotta love bad movies…

O.k. lets start a gentlemen's(-person's ?) bet about the box offfics #'s of the film.

I say for opening weekend: $3,000,000 American

On 2003-01-16 01:22, g99 wrote:
    O.k. lets start a gentlemen's(-person's ?) bet about the box offfics #'s of the film.

Yeah. And $2,999,000 will come from some guys who expect something X-rated and the other $1,000 by members of this board who want to be first to post a detailed list of BA-** in that movie... [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Harald

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kucharek on 2003-01-16 04:00 ]</font>

Just took a glimpse at http://www.thecoremovie.com/

Looking at that illustration I wonder if there is also an incredible shrinking (or expanding?) Earth plot in it?

Harald

On 2003-01-16 04:00, kucharek wrote:

[snip]..the other $1,000 by members of this board who want to be first to post a detailed list of BA-** in that movie... [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Harald

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kucharek on 2003-01-16 04:00 ]</font>
    Probably. I didn't go see The Two Towers in the theater, I didn't see Episode 2 but I think I will have to spend out the money to see this in the theater. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Horrible, aren't we? -Colt

What's the point in seeing movies like The Two Towers or Episode II unless you first see them on the big screen with the theatre sound system?

Easily double that

I'll bet an expired twist-top that somewhere in the script, global warming is mentioned.

^I'll raise you a nickel. When is it supposed to be in theaters? -Colt

Who knows, maybe this movie will make Sci-FI or USA networks bring back MST3K just to review it. (we can dream) But then again, the way Sci-Fi is going (their new show about interpreting dreams!! Uuuhhgg...) they probobly will have a special on it and how good and accurate of a movie it will be. Then the Discovery channel or TLC will have special about what would happen if the core stopped.

Just imagine what FOX might do.

Here's the real reason why the core stopped rotating: The hamster inside the hollow core stopped to run around in circles. Blasting a nuke at his tail will make him again run like hell... [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

More Details (in German) about the Earth-Rotation-Hamster.

Harald

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kucharek on 2003-01-17 09:14 ]</font>

Google: Translation.
    -Colt