Thread: Why all the old Universe Today stories?

Why all the old Universe Today stories?

I've just re-enabled the link between the Universe Today website and the forum. Now whenever I post a new story on Universe Today, it'll automatically create a thread in the forum where people can talk about the story (Phil's planning something similar).

However, because we've changed boards, we had wipe the database that linked them up, so this is starting from scratch. All the old threads are there, but new, blank ones are being created.

Not to worry, vBulletin will come to the rescue again. It's got a feature that lets us merge threads with the exact same name. I'll give it a try shortly to see how it works. But until then, and especially when Google starts crawling Universe Today's story archive, there's going to be a FLOOD of Universe Today posts in the forum.

This'll settle down in a while.
    Last edited by The Bad Astronomer; 2005-Sep-06 at 09:05 PM.

Hmmm.Interesting post.

Thumbs up Great work!

For the record, I use some of the stories posted on universe today in my Astronomy class, and have them visit B.A. on the 'net; thank you for your efforts!

Thanks also for the story archive, it allows flexibility in classroom use.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser
    It's still happening for some reason, though not as much as it did in the early days.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Smile Yes, I do that too.

I send many students to B.A.

Quote Originally Posted by LSBailey View Post
    For the record, I use some of the stories posted on universe today in my Astronomy class, and have them visit B.A. on the 'net; thank you for your efforts!

Thanks also for the story archive, it allows flexibility in classroom use.
    That's pretty cool that you use the stories to teach classes. Do these classes tend to yield impressive results as far as keeping the students interested?

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    I've just re-enabled the link between the Universe Today website and the forum. Now whenever I post a new story on Universe Today, it'll automatically create a thread in the forum where people can talk about the story (Phil's planning something similar).

However, because we've changed boards, we had wipe the database that linked them up, so this is starting from scratch. All the old threads are there, but new, blank ones are being created.

Not to worry, vBulletin will come to the rescue again. It's got a feature that lets us merge threads with the exact same name. I'll give it a try shortly to see how it works. But until then, and especially when Google starts crawling Universe Today's story archive, there's going to be a FLOOD of Universe Today posts in the forum.

Good thinking Boss, keep up the good work.

Thumbs down Teach classes

Quote Originally Posted by chinchillables View Post
    That's pretty cool that you use the stories to teach classes. Do these classes tend to yield impressive results as far as keeping the students interested?
    I expect they yield the results they are intended to. Mis-information! You actually teach classes with this information. That explains everything! Look through all of the 'stories' on here and you will find the author not only quoting goernment sources (the best source of mis-information on the planet!), but explain with "I believe..." "I suspect..." and "I think..." Just as much speculation as religion.

Just a thought: wouldn't it be better to somehow merge the posts here with the comments on UT?
    It's a bit cumbersome having two parallel debates running for every story on UT...

These stories are just interesting. Now I 've got stories with my grand children