Page 82 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 4535

Thread: NEW MEMBER? Introduce yourself in this thread.

Hi all,

I have only recently discovered the many wonders of science and astronomy and while not being all that well versed in either(not yet anyway), I have a natural desire for the truth and a fierce skepticism.

I have CraigB, welcome to BAUT
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Such a sheep!

Hello Forum Members!

I'm posting here because the Forum told me to...such a sheep...how will I ever be a great scientist if I can't even challenge the automated instructions of a Bulletin Board??

I've come here because I'm a writer (read: arty farty, can't understand physics) needing the help of more mathematical minds than my own, and the Bad Astronomer suggested I could find some here.

So it's time to leave this introduction post and find the appropriate board all by myself...that's right, vBulletin, I don't NEED YOU!

Cheers,

Thoraiya

Baaah. Welcome to BAUT, Thoraiya.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Hi everyone

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm pretty new at all of this stuff, but I recently took and astronomy class because I've always had so many questions about the universe we live in. Unfortunately, I found that I was left with a lot more questions than answers.

I can get lost on wikipedia, and I found your website on accident.

Thanks for the place to hang out, looking forward to reading all the good stuff.

Hello Everyone

Hello everybody, I have been instructed by my other half to join this forum because someone opined that you are a crowd of nutters, and I might fit in well. I used to be quite a serious astronomer of a kind, but have since degenerated into being interested in other things as well. Has the universe changed much in the last 30 years?

It's expanded a bit, and more bits of it has been discovered including quite a lot of planets and we're no longer supposed to call one of the old ones by that title anymore.

Apart from that is seems pretty much how it's always been.

As for the nutters part, if you're serious about language and logic everything should have the label "May contain traces of nuts", this place included.

Welcome to the board.

BTW, if anyone suggests you read the rules for posting, they are here, they are a bit stricter than on many other boards and are enforced, so at least a passing familiarity of them is a good idea.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I'm here

Hi!

Just a quick post for now - hope to be able to post a lot more in the future. I was always interested in technology and science. Apollo 8 got me totally into the space program - live pictures from 60 miles above the moon beamed back, shots of the Earth from 'outside' - gripping stuff at the time. So I'm an Apollo project fan - hence the handle - Saturn 4B - the bit of rocket that kicks you off to the moon!

Back soon to become a regular I hope - looking forward to seeing what this site has to offer - looks very promising so far. Bye for now.
    Last edited by saturn4b; 2009-May-25 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Grammar!

Hello there from the UK.

Well--I joined because I thought it looked interesting and I am bursting with queries and questions--but it seems a fearfully fierce sort of forum, so I might just lurk a bit until I get the hang of it.

I am not an astronomer or a physicist or anything like that. Most of what I know of the Universe today (or even yesterday) is courtesy of the TV, the Internet and books.

Welcome to BAUT, enyap, saturn4b and stranger!

enyap, what are you pondering? saturn4b, I hope you'll enjoy this ride, and stranger, don't be a stranger, just ask! Well, perhaps you could try a search if your question has been asked before, it happens a lot. No worries though, if you can't find anything, go ahead and ask. Many members here just love answering questions. Anyway, have a look at the rules, and be aware that the Proving Grounds section has a few extra rules.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Board Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Hello, i joined because i wanted to find the truth about things from experts here, that's all i have to say really. *rubs head*

Hi Tenshu, welcome to BAUT. I suspect the experts here will have some truths, but not THE TRUTH.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    THE TRUTH.
    Right. THE TRUTH (tm), which is legal property of TH3 TRUTH!!!!!!! Inc., is reserved for the black-suits among us.

I'm not at liberty to disclose said parties, but on an unrelated note, Swift, did you ever figure out how to get mustard stains out of a dark blazer? Those Memorial Day parties are hard on the 'ol G-Rags.

edit: Ooops, again my short attention span got the better of me. Welcome to all; enjoy your stay!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    I'm not at liberty to disclose said parties, but on an unrelated note, Swift, did you ever figure out how to get mustard stains out of a dark blazer? Those Memorial Day parties are hard on the 'ol G-Rags.
    The discussion this engendered has been split off to here as it was technically a thread hijack. A brief reminder, this thread is for new members to introduce themselves

Hello Forum

Greetings from Carriere Mississippi.

My name is Jeff. I have an interest in cosmology, physics and the big questions.

My physics background is poor and I only know laws that pertain to my profession. I practice backyard astronomy whenever the skies allow.

I have been lurking in this forum for some time now and think I can obey the rules. Sadly, I have no theories that go against mainsteam science...LOL

I understand how science works and will not be too difficult to deal with.

I may have some stupid questions but, I will gladly accept current theory answers without challenging the scientific community. It seems that the members that do can't even understand the rules of this forum, let alone how science works.

Sincerely,

Jeff - Hater of steetlights in my subdivision

Thumbs up

Raymond is my name, clearly I have too much time on my hands, but happy to be here.

Welcome to BAUT, Jeff and Raymond. Enjoy your stay!

Greetings from Byram Mississippi

Hello Bautians,

Been reading for a few weeks trying to catch up a bit. Decided to join up and post some. Saw a fellow Mississippian (hey lamphater!) and so posted here. Sorry I'm late with the intro.

I'm an idea guy raised by scientists. I love science but I'm not a scientist. I enjoy building stuff, prototypes, to test ideas but that's generally as far I go. I move on to the next idea.

Army Warrant retired. Database manager by trade. Organic gardener, musician, and garage experimenter for fun.

I have a strong interest in carbon. I like holding it, building with it, and contemplating where it will take us. It was my search for carbon science and my interest in space that lead me here.

Quote Originally Posted by tsumrall View Post
    Hello Bautians,

Been reading for a few weeks trying to catch up a bit. Decided to join up and post some. Saw a fellow Mississippian (hey lamphater!) and so posted here. Sorry I'm late with the intro.

I'm an idea guy raised by scientists. I love science but I'm not a scientist. I enjoy building stuff, prototypes, to test ideas but that's generally as far I go. I move on to the next idea.

Army Warrant retired. Database manager by trade. Organic gardener, musician, and garage experimenter for fun.

I have a strong interest in carbon. I like holding it, building with it, and contemplating where it will take us. It was my search for carbon science and my interest in space that lead me here.
    Hey tsumrall,

Good to have another Mississipian...I also love science but I'am not a scientist. I am interested in carbon as well.

Hi! I've been reading the Bad Astronomy blog since 2006, I'm a fan of astronomy, skepticism and nifty software. I'll be reading mostly your posts mostly, because posting much myself would probably be too overwhelming for me. There are just too much interesting topics.

I first found this forum when the "skeptic rogues" over at the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe were discussing their Neal Adams interview (SGU episode 75, "2006 Year in Review"). Years passed. A few weeks ago, I had a brief discussion with a proponent of the "Electric Universe" hypothesis and thought it would be a good idea to read up on the ongoing discussion here.

As I suspected, the "EU" believers (just to name the now banned sol88) have yet to present something coherent. But the BAUT threads I've been reading were so fascinating that I thought I should linger for an indefinite time.

Greetings. As you can tell from my username, I'm a 50-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy. I came here because I saw the folks at abovetopsecret complaining about the management here and that immediately made it sound like my kind of place.

Oh, and as an astronomer, I'm a pretty good historian. But I do like the pretty pictures.

Welcome to BAUT tsumrall, Lamphater and Gawdzilla.

Hello everyone. Im new to the forums, the website looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by joltan View Post
    Hello everyone. Im new to the forums, the website looks great!
    A joltin' welcome to joltan.

I hope you enjoy your stay.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...

Thank you Torsten. Glad to be here

Lamphater: I PM'd ya but later realized you can't use that feature until you have 10 posts.

hello everyone,
    just read the rules of the forum and WOW! you guys like to run a tight ship dont you? normally i'd bail on a forum like this, but due to the type of people posting on here and the open-mindedness (i hope thats a word lol) ive seen i thought i might stick arund and test the waters.
    i may as well say this now considering it will become apparent within my first few posts.... i am what YOU would call a conspiracy theorist. I emphasise 'you' because conspiracy theorist is the generic term for what I call an alternative truth seeker. I believe it is not only our right as free minded individuals, but a basic (yet supressed) human instinct, to question what we are given as absolute truth by those that who would have us believe that they are the absolute authority on a given subject. I also believe it is our DUTY so seek real truth, to ask questions and to challenge said 'authorities', on the basis that real truth is only discovered by repeated attempts to disprove an idea/theory/hypothesis until the conclusion is irrefutable. Is this not the principle upon which science operates and progresses? Do you think it acceptable to make decisions or construct beliefs based on 'facts' which have not been fully scrutinised? Would you accept theories proclaimed as fact by a person who will not divuldge all of their research materials, or refuse to provide supporting evidence relating to their claims? I hope not. These principles are the ones i stand on when debating alternative truths. If something is stated as fact by an 'authority', and it does not add up or sit comfortably with me, of course i will question it. It is my duty to my intellect. I dont have all the answers, but the main question is.....why not? Why are valid and reasonable questions which are put to authorities, which contradict the official 'truth', not given valid and reasonable answers? Does leaving questions related to a 'truth' unanswered not leave it open to scrutiny? Do we not deserve the truth? Are we considered too primitive by our higher ups to be trusted with the truth?
    Anyway...i will abruptly end my rant there for the reason that its way too early in the morning to express my beliefs and what im about in any more depth, and because im using my on-screen keyboard which is a MAJOR pain in the rear.
    Hope i gave you all a good idea of what im about and what to expect from me and provided some food for thought while i was at it.
    look foward to debating with you all!
    Last edited by MC_Splitta; 2009-May-29 at 08:57 PM. Reason: clarification

Hello.

Filmaker Director Classical Composer and Engineer, Salford young astronomer of the year 1978, Ex Nuclear Engineer, Ex Nuclear Weapons Engineer, Ex Reactor Robot Driver, Now doing Aviation Software at Heathrow Gatwick and Stansted. Once proud to see some of my work on Tomorrows World, only to have it stolen from the BBC studios after the show.

Hoping to contribute constructively to these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RAF_Blackace View Post
    Salford young astronomer of the year 1978.
    As in Salford University in UK?

Welcome, young astronomer. Er... formerly young astronomer?

Coincidence: I was once young myself.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...

Quote Originally Posted by MC_Splitta View Post
    [...] 'you' [...] 'authorities' [...] 'facts' [...] 'authority' [...] 'truth' [...] 'truth' [...]
    'Welcome' to BAUT Forum.

I hope you have a wonderful time.