Page 32 of 150 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW MEMBER? Introduce yourself in this thread.

Hi all! this is my first post

i'm 38 years old female from Jakarta, Indonesia...hello to you all...nice to meet you

Nice to meet you agape may. I don't recall another poster from Jakarta, so it is nice to have someone.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

After noting a reference to Omicron Persei in a certain famous animated series, I speedily found that it wasn't so remarkably spectacular a star to merit extensive remarks in my Burnham's, just the particulars in the Double & Multiple Stars list, my next stop was Google, and BAUT showed up there.

Says I to myself, "Self, you haven't joined any astronomy forums at all, and you can't spend ALL your time clawing and kicking and biting in the political fora of The Cellar (pretty interesting BBS, btw) -- you need some time restoring your sense of perspective, and you like astronomy and geology for that."

Oh, and I agree about "pilgrim." Or "piiillllll-grimm." I find that word necessary to pre-calibrate my John Wayne impression, which I find a good bit harder to do than my Sean Connery. If you mix Sean Connery and Scuba noises, you get Darth Vader. But you have to lose the forcible Highlander R -- Vader lacks that.

I got bitten by the astronomy bug taking the science requirement in college, and it's never left. I've noodled around trying to grind and polish an 8" mirror, f4.53 if memory serves, which yet needs some good test gear and then parabolizing, so I imagine it's about time to find the telescope-nerds boards too and see about either obtaining access to testing gear (the VCAS has a lot going for it, but 'scope construction isn't necessarily their forte) or building a Foucault knife-edge rig of my own. Meanwhile, I'm quite unsystematically poking about the sky with a pair of 7x50s and Harrington's Touring the Universe Through Binoculars, trying to become a good skillful observer. With the 8" scope eventually up I'd like to hook up with the AAVSO.

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Welcome, Urbane Guerrilla!

Parabolizing is the real trick isn't it? Very problematic. One mistep or grain of something and you're back to the grinding tool sprinkling carborundum or aluminum oxide.

Meanwhile, pip-pip, cheerio, have a spot of tea, what? (urbane talk there) and enjoy the BAUT! I wonder if anyone will notice we have a guerrilla in the room?

Be sure to check out the FAQs and rules. Unlike other boards they're taken seriously here.

Good luck with those variables!

An urbane guerrilla never snores when he sleeps anywhere he wants, you see.

H-hello?

Hm. That worked. Howdy!

Read you loud and clear phy006. Welcome to BAUT

Hello...again!

As you can see by my post count, I'm not exactly new here!
    In April, I had major surgery (colostomy for diverticulitis). I now live with a bag attached to my abdomen and a big ugly scar where my navel used to be! Fortunately, the colostomy is temporary and I am scheduled for surgery in October to reverse the procedure and hook my colon back up to its original orifice.
    If there is any "good" side to this, I've lost 60 lbs (27 Kg), although, I would not recommend this weight loss program to anybody!!!

With any luck, I intend to be around for many more inane posts.

Hey, Kaptain! Hope all goes well with the reconnection. Sounds like a pretty miserable time, overall.

I have some minor surgery coming up in October, but nothing on that scale, thankfully.

Glad to be able to be back!

Hi Donnie!

As the title says, I'm not just glad to be back, I'm glad to be able to be back! There is nothing like a life threatening situation to bring life into focus. I actually had two surgeries. the first one "fell apart" to quote what the surgeon told my brother and a second emergency operation was needed to repair it! I did not find out until 6 weeks later that the surgeon had told my brother that, after the second operation, I was "50-50". Now that's scary! For the first week and a half, I was on a morphine drip. Every 10 minutes, I could pull a trigger that would inject me with two mg. Needless to say, I don't remember much from that time period, but one thing I do remember is that morphine nightmares are scary! I do not understand why anybody would use opiates as a "recreational drug".
    As Nietzsche said, "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger!" I am definitely stronger in many ways than I was before and I am glad to be able to be back!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K View Post
    Hi Donnie!

As the title says, I'm not just glad to be back, I'm glad to be able to be back! There is nothing like a life threatening situation to bring life into focus. I actually had two surgeries. the first one "fell apart" to quote what the surgeon told my brother and a second emergency operation was needed to repair it! I did not find out until 6 weeks later that the surgeon had told my brother that, after the second operation, I was "50-50". Now that's scary! For the first week and a half, I was on a morphine drip. Every 10 minutes, I could pull a trigger that would inject me with two mg. Needless to say, I don't remember much from that time period, but one thing I do remember is that morphine nightmares are scary! I do not understand why anybody would use opiates as a "recreational drug".
    As Nietzsche said, "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger!" I am definitely stronger in many ways than I was before and I am glad to be able to be back!
    Kaptain K
    Ive read your posts before but didnt realize you were gone. But then I took a bit of a hiatus myself...

Glad to have you back. If anything goes wrong next time- Ill gladly punch your surgeon for you- Im a short hop away near Austin

Kaptain, it is good to see you back. My wife has had multiple abdominal surgeries and has a colostomy (permanent). I know after each of those it has taken her a long time to heal; for whatever reason, abdominal surgery really seems to sap a lot of people's energy. I'm very glad you are on the mend.

Thank you Neverfly!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    "...for whatever reason, abdominal surgery really seems to sap a lot of people's energy.
    You've got that right! After 3 months flat on my back, I couldn't walk 50 meters without stopping to catch my breath.
    I'm very glad you are on the mend.
    Thank you!! My best wishes to your wife.

Hello. I've lurked here off and on for a while now, and finally took the plunge and joined. I'm 18 and will start at UCSC in late September.... hopefully I'll survive the astrophysics program (crosses fingers).

Post Forums Software

Hello
    I have been told to use google to find where to get some forum software and I have found this forum. This is exactly the type of forum I want to use on our church website, but I have not been able to find where to purchase it from. Is anyone able to tell me where I can buy forum software just like this in Toowoomba.
    Sorry if this is an obvious question. I am only a new learner on the internet.

Kind Regards
    Dot

Here is a Link to the vBullettin Forum Dot

Hope it leads you the right way...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/index.php?

I'm A Chinese boy born on march 4th,1990
    (10 days older than Albert Einstein )
    I am willing to make friends with those who love physics,Astronomy,Programming....

Last edited by Albert; 2007-Aug-27 at 01:34 AM.

Albert, hello and welcome

It might be an idea NOT to post your email address on this forum in the way you have, because spiders may harvest it and you will get loads of spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Albert, hello and welcome

It might be an idea NOT to post your email address on this forum in the way you have, because spiders may harvest it and you will get loads of spam.
    Thank you for your advice!!

Hello to all . . .

From time to time I've found myself at Bad Astronomy, and agree with a lot I read here. I have a pretty scientific mind set, but find that a lot of otherwise great scientists have their own mind sets which are not always complimentary. This Forum will give me the opportunity to express my self instead of only lurking and I appreciate the opportunity.

I'm what's called a "PT." There are many definitions for this acronym. Only a few of them are "Positive Thinker, Perpetual Traveler, Previous Taxpayer, Prepared Thoroughly, Portable Trader, Perpetual Tourist, Pen Talent, Poised Thinking, Pointed Talker," and many others. There are a surprising number of us throughout the world and of all nationalities.

I'm an ex-Patriot US American and praying that they will elect Ron Paul. I strongly believe he is America's last chance. I do think it's impossible as not many people are good at thinking today. He's the only one wanting to take America back to the Constitution. WHERE are the others heading? Certainly, away from the Constitution at light speed. When Bush can say what he did about the Constitution only being a "God damned piece of paper," and Jay Leno can crack a joke about the US not using it's Consititution any more, and thus should give it to Iraq, there is a definite fire where there is that kind of smoke! Therefore, I've become very pessimistic about the future of my beloved country. Well before the turn of the century I voted with my feet and left the land of my birth because I could see the present day as only the prophetic "handwriting on the wall." I've since lived on five continents and six islands of the world. I have my two youngest (13 & 14) of six children (3 of each) with me and we have found freedom in a world where such is very elusive.

I am a Christian and make no bones about it. It is HARDLY a superstitious belief and full of answers and peace. I've studied EVERY major religion on the planet and quite a few others which have majored in nothing. Christianity is firstly appealing because it's a historical religion where none of its history has ever been found bad. Lots of challenges made over the last thousand years, in particular, should cause the thinker pause to study from that point alone. If its history is correct, even by exposing the personal flaws of the characters it gives histories for, there's a better than even chance its religion is as accurate as its history. People who want to call God a tyrant don't have a clue. They should at least take a "Bible 101" course before they expose themselves for the fools they are. One such course can be found by Googling "International Bible School." The Creator was KNOWN by every man, woman and child on this planet at the beginning -- including the murderer, Cain. Because man chose to rebel right in the face of God, He found a man who was looking for Him, and made him a promise of seed and land that He kept, even when it was necessary to drive out by the sword those who had humiliated Him. That's a loaded statement and all that needs to be said for now, and I say it for any and all here to know where I'm coming from.

I hope to enjoy it here, to be sapient and to cause one be sapient, and say, "thanks for the invite!"

Danny

Wow, Danny...
    An EX- patriot who thinks nothing bad happened in christian history.

I'm sure you might maybe provide some... "interesting" posts. Welcome to BAUT

Yo, Kaptain K!

Good to hear from you again.

Sorry about the medical problems. Hope the reversal procedure goes well!

Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by danny View Post
    From time to time I've found myself at Bad Astronomy, and agree with a lot I read here....I hope to enjoy it here, to be sapient and to cause one be sapient, and say, "thanks for the invite!"

Danny
    Hi Danny.

It would be a good idea for you to read the BAUT rules re politics and religion. Check the FAQ link in the banner above. Be sure to check out Rule 12.

Meanwhile, enjoy yourself and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by phy006 View Post
    H-hello?

Hm. That worked. Howdy!
    Howdy backatcha.

Why "phy006"?

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    I'm A Chinese boy born on march 4th,1990
    (10 days older than Albert Einstein )
    I am willing to make friends with those who love physics,Astronomy,Programming....

Ah, hands across the water!

Welcome to the BAUT, Albert!

Read the FAQs, especially the rules, and have fun.

"Interesting" got started already . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Wow, Danny...
    An EX- patriot who thinks nothing bad happened in christian history.

I'm sure you might maybe provide some... "interesting" posts. Welcome to BAUT
    Hi Neverfly,

"Interesting" got started pretty quickly. Because I don't know how you got me saying, "Nothing bad happened in christian history."

No! In fact, of the bible's history I said it went as far as
    ... exposing the personal sins of the characters it gives histories for,
    As in Adam, all men have sinned, but in Christ all who call upon His name may be washed, sanctified and justified.

If you're thinking about the so called "Christian Crusades," it would do you well to find out who those so called "Christians" were. I can guarantee you that God found no favor in those atrocious acts any more than he finds favor with terrorism yesterday or today, and they were not brothers to me. But if (as I suspect) you're talking about God being the Terrorist then we shall have a very ineresting chat, indeed. -Danny

Hi Neverfly,
    Deja vu
    "Interesting" got started pretty quickly. Because I don't know how you got me saying, "Nothing bad happened in christian history."
    Right here where you said :
    I've studied EVERY major religion on the planet and quite a few others which have majored in nothing. Christianity is firstly appealing because it's a historical religion where none of its history has ever been found bad.

If you're thinking about the so called "Christian Crusades," it would do you well to find out who those so called "Christians" were. I can guarantee you that God found no favor in those atrocious acts any more than he finds favor with terrorism yesterday or today, and they were not brothers to me. But if (as I suspect) you're talking about God being the Terrorist then we shall have a very ineresting chat, indeed. -Danny
    Yeah, just because a group claims to follow a particular lead doesn't mean that they really do. But that was one event out of many.
    Taking the resoponsibility out of the lead simply because you can claim some followers dont follow the teachings properly doesn't make sense. But if you would like to discuss it we can take it up in PM.

In the meantime, yep, we're breaking the rules here So it's best to leave that as a private discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
    Yo, Kaptain K!
    Yo back atcha!

Good to hear from you again.
    Good to be back again.

Sorry about the medical problems.
    Not so much "problems" as a "reality check". I cruised through nearly 6 decades of life without a single serious medical problem. I went to the emergency room because I had a "tummy-ache" and wound up going through emergency surgery!!

Hope the reversal procedure goes well!
    Me too!

Welcome back!
    Thanks.

I'll have to be more careful as a newbie, eh?

Hi Fly,

"Nothing bad happened in christian history." False.

"Christianity is firstly appealing because it's a historical religion where none of its history has ever been found bad incorrect. True.

"Taking the resoponsibility out of the lead simply because you can claim some followers dont follow the teachings properly doesn't make sense. But if you would like to discuss it we can take it up in PM. " Take it away! I'll meet you there.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
    Hi Danny.

It would be a good idea for you to read the BAUT rules re politics and religion. Check the FAQ link in the banner above. Be sure to check out Rule 12.

Meanwhile, enjoy yourself and have fun!
    Thanks, but Fly started it!

Danny