Page 11 of 150 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW MEMBER? Introduce yourself in this thread.

I'm Tony Kehoe, a British expat living in Japan.

My name is Toma (Tom in english). I live in Bucharest, Romania.

I am a student at the Politehnica University, the Aerospace Engineering department. I like astronomy and i am part of an astronomy club (association).
    I like a good debate (or argument ).

Welcome kimpatsu and Blakut.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Hey guys!

Welcome to BAUT!

Hi,I am from China,and now in ShangHai.I visit this board just want to make some new friends here.As I want to lear the custom and lifestyle in your country,and sometimes I have questions about English learning.So I would like to make some friends to learn from each other.
    I was born in 1983

Quote Originally Posted by freeroaming
    I have questions about English learning.
    Hi freeroaming, welcome to the BAUT forum.
    Are you interested in astronomy or spaceflight?
    Forming opinions as we speak

I was born in 1983.
    then that must mean that you are 22 or 23.

see we are good at maths on this board.

Welcome, y'all!
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Wink

Hi,I am from China,and now in ShangHai......
    Ni Hao & Huan ying. (Hello & Welcome)

Hi everyone,

My name is Freek van der Hulst. I'm 12 years old (born in 1993) and I go to school in Eindhoven, The Netherlands. Which is incidentally where I also live.

I interest myself more than 3 years already in astronomy and the universe. Previous year I have built my own website, www.AstroVersum.nl. Since a couple days I have been active on this board, BAUT.

Welcome, Freek. I hope you enjoy your time on the BAUT forum. Our administrators and moderators work hard to make this a place that's friendly to young people like you.

Congratulations on your English skills. I wish I spoke a second language as well as you do.

Hello Freek,

You should by now have figured out that the "Junior Member" under your name is not because of your age but because you haven't posted a lot yet.
    It'll go away soon.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen
    Hello Freek,

You should by now have figured out that the "Junior Member" under your name is not because of your age but because you haven't posted a lot yet.
    It'll go away soon.
    Yes, i know

Hi,I am from China,and now in ShangHai.I visit this board just want to make some new friends here.As I want to lear the custom and lifestyle in your country,and sometimes I have questions about English learning.So I would like to make some friends to learn from each other.
    I was born in 1983
    Welcome freeroaming. We are a friendly bunch. I am guessing "your country" refers to the United States, but there are actually members all over the world, and not just native speakers of English. Hopefully you will learn alot about customs all of the world.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

hellor! i'm hannah, i'm 17, in lower sixth form and i want to be an astrophysicist.
    i've been a member for a while now, but i lurk mostly.
    the only time i really post is on threads about something quite controversial i have strong views about, like religion and the state or americans and guns!

Hi everyone,

I'm Peter, 21, I come from a wonderful country called Poland. First of all, I'd like to ask you all one thing, or two things:
    Is this a government run website? Do you get paid by NASA to hide the Truth? Oh, and one more thing, do you like spaghetti westerns? (cause I love them).

I made joke of course. This forum is great, I have no words to describe that. You people have all needed knowledge and experience to debunk all that utter rubbish (bad astronomy, false prophecies and so on) that is floating the Internet. And I can tell you that here in Poland we have tons of that, also thousands of helpless people to believe in it.

I'm not an astronomer, nor a scientist, just an economies student, but I've recently become quite interested in space and such. I must say that after reading too much Daniken as a child I got a wrong and unhealthy idea of our universe and humankind (despite I'm religious). That's why now I want to learn from real scientists and wise and rational people. Well, it's just one of the reasons of course. Anyway, greetings.
    By the way, I believe that you all are ETs and want to pull the wool over my eyes

Hi Peter, and welcome to the BAUT. There's really a country called Poland? Well, learn something new every day.

Hi Gang!!

Hello. I've been lurking here for over two years and thought it time I (cautiously)
    join in. Space science has been a lifelong passion. I worked in the beginnings of the
    space program for three years just prior to the first manned flights, but have limited
    math skills. I will attempt to seriously contribute here, but with an occasional
    sprinkling of my wacky sense of humor.

My screen name is Luckmeister -- it's an anagram of my real name. If you can guess
    it (no cheating by using an anagram generator), I might let you look through the
    special 4D glasses I'm wearing in my avatar. Caution -- objects may appear through the
    glasses before or after your time frame.

Luckmeister
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by i only ponder
    hellor! i'm hannah, i'm 17, in lower sixth form and i want to be an astrophysicist.
    i've been a member for a while now, but i lurk mostly.
    the only time i really post is on threads about something quite controversial i have strong views about, like religion and the state or americans and guns!
    Welcome, Hannah! What a nice name! How are your sisters?

Congrats on your astrophysical goals. I wish you success.

Re such topics as religion and politics, please check out these rules:

Rules for posting to the board. Plus the FAQs in general.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmeister
    Hello. I've been lurking here for over two years and thought it time I (cautiously)
    join in. Space science has been a lifelong passion. I worked in the beginnings of the
    space program for three years just prior to the first manned flights, but have limited
    math skills. I will attempt to seriously contribute here, but with an occasional
    sprinkling of my wacky sense of humor.

My screen name is Luckmeister -- it's an anagram of my real name. If you can guess
    it (no cheating by using an anagram generator), I might let you look through the
    special 4D glasses I'm wearing in my avatar. Caution -- objects may appear through the

Luckmeister

mike something?

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march
    mike something?
    Maybe, but there are other first name candidates.

One anagram I rejected as a screen name was "Emetic Lurks". That would translate to "reading other's posts induces vomiting" which would be a bit insulting (though sometimes apt).

There are a couple of others I considered -- Cruel Kismet and Mule Sticker (um, no -- I don't think so).

BTW, GREAT Shuttle launch today. They're doing a post-launch press conference right now.

Keep guessing,

Luckmeister
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Mister Lucke

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Poster
    Mister Lucke
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Effendi
    I'm Peter, 21, I come from a wonderful country called Poland.
    Hi Peter, and welcome. Wasn´t your town supposed to be called Gdansk?

I live in Maine and worked in the pulp and paper industry for years, as a process chemist in a pulp mill, a lead paper machine operator on a high-speed coated paper machine, and later as a consultant. I got tired of travelling and quit consulting to manage the network of a very large Ophthalmic practice with offices in 6 cities. I have always been interested in optics and astronomy, and was able to become board-certified as an optician in just 5 months (the first time the test was held). Eventually, I had to give that up too, because I got hypersensitive to the chemicals in fragranced products - you can't fit people for glasses or even work in an office environment if peoples' cosmetics give you migraines and asthma. I worked for another 5 years organizing auctions of fine firearms, militaria and historical items, until the fragrances got the better of me even in that more limited exposure, and now I am in a forced semi-retirement and unable to go to public places for the most part. I'm fine when I can avoid fragrances, though. My wife and I have been married for over 30 years and last year we bought our dream home - a little log cabin in the country with about 10 acres of woods and a nice garden spot. When things are a bit more settled, I am going to build a roll-off roof observatory for my 6" f:8 Astro-Physics APO. I build fly rods, tie all my own flies, and in the winter, I facet gem stones (anything softer than diamonds - some of my best have been sapphires!). I play guitar, played professionally for years, and hosted open-mike jams at local pubs (mostly blues and rock) to help newcomers get some exposure, until the perfume problem got too bad, but still repair/restore old tube amps and guitars as a hobby. I wrench on Harleys, too, but not so much of that anymore since I bought a new Softail last year.
    Last edited by turbo-1; 2006-Jul-05 at 08:13 PM.

Cool Is there somebody out there...

The first post is to introduce myself. I'm living in the Netherlands in a little place, Ede (near Arnhem). Exploring the internet I landed in this forum. English and other foreign languages are difficult for me, but let's try. I've had some education a few years ago. (1968-1973)
    I was searching for a image of the space shuttle Discovery lancing last evening local time in Ede (NL) and so I landed in this forum.
    I like to learn more about the universe, historie (egypt / mesoamerica (maya glyphs) / vikings and so on. In this section I suspect to learn more about the universe and astronomy. Greetings Ron.

Welcome, Ron. Your English is much better than my Dutch. Seriously, you are doing fine for anyone, let alone for someone whose first language isn't English.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

How about Miles Tucker?

Quote Originally Posted by Sp1ke
    How about Miles Tucker?
    Good guess, but no cigar. Hint -- my last name shows up frequently in astronomy.

Luckmeister

Good guess, but no cigar. Hint -- my last name shows up frequently in astronomy.

Luckmeister
    I've got it! Although Musk is a funny first name, Mr. Reticle.