Thread: Polite Users

I'd just like to say how polite Universe Today forum users are compared with other forums. I recently joined a stargate forum and received a less than warm welcome from some members. Thanks to everyone for making this place such a friendly online community.

I agree, Kashi - Universe Today is very welcoming and everyones opinion is embraced - a great place to discuss!

I second that, Rigel! But it is also because of the strict implementation of the house rules which I credit to fraser and the moderators. So thanks to all of you who make this site a better place if not the best place to discuss issues concerning astronomy, other sciences, and other non-related topics. I see respect and concern to one another as we grow together in knowledge of the universe we live and let me thank those who has taught me so much in this forum. Let's continue to promote the "vulcan culture" where logic rules but also a culture with a heart. We have found a home in UT

Good, I'm glad you folks appreciate it. I've seen enough hostile and mean forums for a lifetime. I'm very determined that it'll never happen here. People need to learn how to disagree with each other politely.

Yaa, Fraser, this is a good forum as compare to the other

and kashi you are telling a universal truth of its politeness,

workers of the goldsmith is polite since the goldsmith itself smooth

and having good sense of the things which the members like hence

whatever the gems are getting a sharp and clean dimensions of thoughts

that are quite uncomparable.

sunil

StarLab Guest
    Amen! B)

Serious!!! this place has cool users they deserve an award!

just changed my home page a few seconds befor i read this.
    yes the great 'unwashed' out there have mouths like gutters.
    often they are just bored and want attention.
    at least here i can talk with my peers
    thanks fraser for the moderating

Yeah, sorry about the guttermouth, I do try to watch it :unsure:

UT is a great forum, and heres to it only getting better B)

I've not been here long but HAVE noticed how pleasant people are, as well as exceedingly knowledgable. I hope we all realise how much more important it is to expand our knowledge than to alienate or antagonize each other.
    Thanks for keeping it friendly, Fraser.

UT is a great place, and is only getting better! Your effort is greatly appreciated, Fraser.

Thanks!

Yes very true. This forum is a very warm and welcome Space board.

Yeah there is a surprisingly large amount of smart, funny, warm, intelligent people here!

Janice people are more intelligent here with a multi dimensional personality as we politely experiencing.

May I just say that I only joined recently and I already feel quite 'at home' and have been made very welcome. Thankyou everyone. I feel that I can post replies to any topic, even if I don't know much about the subject, without fear of ridicule. I also feel that I can ask for explanations if I don't understand something. It's a great site and I'm glad I joined.

remarkably polite forumn---i've only been hit w/one 'dig'---relateing to the 'greenhouse', and newer findings---which Are quite alarming. i prefer the presentation of data vs. 'labels'. that's what you find here. i surmise it's a UK site, so 'pip-pip-cheerio, piece of cake'---

Honest to goodness, this is the only forum I frequent daily, as a member. Everywhere else someone has something to prove or an opinion to voice. Here people just have ideas to pose and knowledge to offer.

One bad apple spoils the bunch; when one of those bad apples get in here (which I can only assume they do), it is evident the Mods are quick to take that apple out of the barrel. It sets the standard. Thank you to all the Mods for setting that standard and making this an educational, intriguing, but most of all, fun place to go to on the internet!

Originally posted by fraser@Feb 15 2005, 04:59 PM
    Good, I'm glad you folks appreciate it. I've seen enough hostile and mean forums for a lifetime. I'm very determined that it'll never happen here. People need to learn how to disagree with each other politely.
    I couldn't agree more! I visit some other forums that are not nearly so respectful of being able to "agree to disagree". Another aspect that I enjoy here is that we have the full sprectum of experience and knowlegde as well! There are many time when I pop in to ask what I think is a lame question, only to see somebody else already asked it! And I have never seen a condescending remark, that is also a breath of fresh air!

StarLab Guest
    Yes Fraser you've done a remarkable job with these forums they truly stand out as the best astronomy news discussion forums on the net. B) And yes a tribute to the mods!

Hi Gang,
    I have to agree with what everyone before me has said. There are not many sites and forums like this where the site master shows pictures of his/her family. It gives a great feeling of family and I, for one, are happy to be part of it.
    Congratulations Fraser and keep up the great work!
    jsc248.

kashi, hello,
    polite users never become arogent, they are not only polite but they are ideological, serious, having positive attitude, they agree if they wrong, they encourage, they look forward, they have a very nice vision, their introspection of topic capacity is commendable.

sunil

Originally posted by vet22@Feb 24 2005, 09:03 PM
    remarkably polite forumn---i've only been hit w/one 'dig'---relateing to the 'greenhouse', and newer findings---which Are quite alarming. i prefer the presentation of data vs. 'labels'. that's what you find here. i surmise it's a UK site, so 'pip-pip-cheerio, piece of cake'---
    Fraser is from Vancouver, Canada.

Dave Mitsky

Planetwatcher Guest
    I couldn't agree more! I visit some other forums that are not nearly so respectful of being able to "agree to disagree". Another aspect that I enjoy here is that we have the full sprectum of experience and knowlegde as well! There are many time when I pop in to ask what I think is a lame question, only to see somebody else already asked it! And I have never seen a condescending remark, that is also a breath of fresh air!
    As one who has been here almost to day 1, (well within the first week anyway)
    I have watched Fraser methodicly hand pick his mods. Unlike other webmasters who usually pick members who share their point of view, Fraser went for a great deal of different viewpoints, and personalities. Some of us even stand in stark contrast of his particular views or personality traits. But it has been a very good blend, and we all have the commonality of attitudes which allow us to enjoy the publications of Universe Today, and we all respect others for their views.

There are like 4 or 5 mods which actually do most of the work, and they are too modest to take their own credit, but we communicate well with each other. What few dissaggreements ever occur we keep to the parties involved, and won't let go unsettled. They are indeed a fine group to work with, and I'm glad to be associated with them.

None of us knows it all, so everyone learns something from everyone else.