Thread: Fonts

Fraser: Is there perhaps some method I haven't figured out yet to access the standard symbol font (Windows-based) or some math-CAD font, for the purpose of posting equations without writing them out in words, or (horrors) using outdated Word Perfect conventions? Every time I try to write an equation, or import one from a Word document, it gets trashed by the systrem administrator-- when I preview it, it looks like Tibetan or Martian.
    I feel like an ethnic with his hands tied-- I can't speak effectively. Chalk it up to personal idiosyncrasy, but every once in a while, I NEED equations. Given that this forum is about assorted sciences, there oughta be a way. HALP! Steve

StarLab Guest
    Well, if you want to express powers, the following might help:

# squared = #^2.
    Square root of a number = (#)^.5

Yeah, we only accept Martian equations. Starlab's on the right path there, you'll need to write it in a more computer notation, unfortunately. Or, you could use some outside software to generate a graphic, and then link to it. I know that neither solution is pretty... sorry.

If you've got an MS office cd, re-install it and on the options for what to install there's equation editor. This can produce pretty much any equation, and you can copy it somewhere and save it as an image. If you have'nt got office I'm sure theres a free one out there somewhere, google equation editor.

equation editor gets my thumbs up, as a mathsteacher it makes writing a maths teacher far easier.

Thanx, all. Now about this bloody signature... (VanderL is already on the case)Warm regards,--Steve