Will greater space exploration and colonization eventually take place - on a scale of the great sea explorations at the end of the middle ages - which eventually changed the world ?
There are a number of reasons why this may not happen :
1. There is very little profit from space. THe money required to drive such endevours must be balanced by the profits from spinoffs. Unless that happends we will have governments doling out miserly amounts for a huge queue of space projects - utlimtately with no concerted effort to colonizing space. The zeal is clearly not visible in todays industrial or political establishments for any such venture into space.
2. Space Travel and colonization would demand an almost impossible changes to our body - probably genetic, physiological or otherwise - how much of our humanity ( only refering to physiology - not the emotional context of the word ) will we be prepared to lose ?
3. Given almost impossiblly demanding environments and the huge time frames involved in making other places habitable - would not people of earth prefer to colonize more familiar climes - our huge oceans for instance.?
4. The great costs and dangers of space travel have persisted over almost half a century now - without any major breakthrough. No radically different propulsion technolgies, no radical inventions to counter the hazards of space , no new methods for extremely fast travel
5. WIll politics ever have focus on things like space exploration.. We see that even in the most advanced nations - it is human prejudices like race religion community that dominate politics. Politics being a mirror of human way of living - will it ever muster enough energy to look beyond these issues and into something as all-encompassing as a whole-hearted endevour aimed at the outer space.
6. Would an increasingly wired world shrink into self - absorption.. We see so many ills of human society that comes with modernization ( no i do not wish to eulogize the past - i understand that the past is just as bad or good ). I woiuld like indicate my suspicions that this may be a sign of maladjustment to progress. So the question is - if we can ever make the really great leap in progress - a real space age .
No I am a not a naysayer ( I would dearly love to see these things happen ) - but I just dont see them happening - and the way things are - nor do I have much hope that things will happen in future.
Your opinions please ...