Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: USS CHANTICLEER ASR-7 [ HUb' ]

Roger"
    would you please tell us why you don't make relevant posts (ie. posts regarding astronomical topics) considering rule number one of the forum, and also, why don't you use normal english sentence structure when you make posts here?
    The primary rule here is to be polite. Not all posts have to be about astronomy--even personal issues are allowed in some forums.

Regardless, as near as I can tell, most of HUb''s posts are about astronomy, or related issues.

Re: USS CHANTICLEER ASR-7

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawheid
    That is why you never admit to your partner that you even come here.
    Good one, Bawheid!

Is this a ///great\\\ board, or what?

"GUIDANCE HERE"
    9:36 am PST hmm?

I have to say that I'm impressed with the (lack of) hardware Hub' uses to post here. He'd mentionned what he was using to post once (IIRC) and I remember it had impressed the hell out of me to be able to get it to work with UBB software at all.

I'm getting better at understanding Hub', although he seems to have upgraded slightly and that's going a long way towards making him clearer.

I seem to be able to follow most of his posts now, with a little concentration.

Lack of convenient clarity has never been a bannable offence here, Roger, and the BA has often asked that people not try to do his job for him.

If you really have a problem with Hub's posts, the procedure is to PM the BA and let him deal with it, if indeed it needs to be dealt with at all.

Roger, I strongly urge you to chill. I am willing to accept that your first post in this thread about Hub' was in "good faith", but your attitude since then-- especially the mock-hubbish post-- has degenerated.

I scratch my head over his posts just like most people, but he has shown over the years -- years -- that he has posted here that he does make sense sometimes, and some people can understand him. That's good enough for me.

*blinks* Woah, but speak the name and he shall appear.

Regarding Hub and Hubish

Have you ever had a conversation in front of your faithful canine and observed them tilt their head from side to side as you talk. Occasionally they wag their tail as they recognize a word or two. Many times I read posts from the majority of this siteís members and wonder if my head is tilting from side to side, grinning as I recognize a concept here and there. Concerning Hubís posts, maybe there is a lack of intelligence involved, and it is not his. Maybe we need to give the guy a break. 8-[

Hub, isnít the Gravity Wave Detector the device they use in XCOM to detect UFOs? :wink:

All I know is, HUb' is no more opaque than James Joyce at times.

Like opera, I don't have to understand the words to enjoy the patterns.

Post on, HUb'. Post on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bad Astronomer
    I scratch my head over his posts just like most people, but he has shown over the years -- years -- that he has posted here that he does make sense sometimes, and some people can understand him. That's good enough for me.
    I agree... his posts are an interesting puzzle for those who have the time... and those who don't can skip them just like the crossword puzzles in the paper.

Hub has never been known to be rude or hurtful to any poster, so I don't see the harm...

Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    I have to say that I'm impressed with the (lack of) hardware Hub' uses to post here. He'd mentionned what he was using to post once (IIRC) and I remember it had impressed the hell out of me to be able to get it to work with UBB software at all.
    His formatting reminds me of trying to type in 40 column mode on the old 8 bit Atari. *sigh*
    Gotta give it up for the oldskool....
    I also cannot penetrate the prose, it's almost like trying to decipher the number stations on shortwave....
    But if BA approves, and it does appear he is posting in good faith, I say cut the HUb'ster some slack.

(edited: I celebrate this post as my doorway to Bad Apprenticeship - #101!!! I never thought it would be in this thread, though)

Quote Originally Posted by lyford
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    His formatting reminds me of trying to type in 40 column mode on the old 8 bit Atari. *sigh*
    Once upon a time, HUb' was accessing the BABB using a text-based browser (Lynx). I don't know if that's still true, though.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Once upon a time, HUb' was accessing the BABB using a text-based browser (Lynx). I don't know if that's still true, though.
    Heh, check out what the BABB looks like with Lynx. Is this what it's like to see the world through HUb'-colored glasses? :P

LINK

Quote Originally Posted by Lycus
    Heh, check out what the BABB looks like with Lynx. Is this what it's like to see the world through HUb'-colored glasses? :P

LINK
    This explains quite a bit....
    Though i will now attempt to view one of HUb's posts in lynx to reverse check.... :wink:

I know HUb' is cognizant of what goes on in this BB. Over in BABBling where they posted a thread of pictures he supplied one of himself . It was the most coherent post from him I've seen.
    http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/vi...&start=425

Re: USS CHANTICLEER ASR-7

Quote Originally Posted by HUb'
    Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov
    That is why you never admit to your partner that you even come here.
    Good one, Bawheid!

Is this a ///great\\\ board, or what?

"GUIDANCE HERE"
    9:36 am PST hmm?
    Was 8:36 AM CDT from here.

Now 12:45 AM CDT.

Another day.

>>>Rotational inertia<<<

OMG it's contagious, I'm outta here...........

OMG it's contagious, I'm outta here...........

8:48 AM 8/25/04 sqU/O^ie(A'misH {string theory}?
    recently (opb)TV{Nova} aired a "physics" program
    Run-1/2gunR =8pigTun ? R_un-1/2*g_un*R =8*pi*G*T_un
    R? ?= Richey Tensor ? rikey
    1? =? Scaler Curvature
    u = mu n = nu
    ------------------------- UNIFICATION {theory}
    0 Steven Weinberg University of Texas at Austin
    1 Michael B. Green University of Cambridge
    ======================= 1665 I nuTON's "Gravity"
    3 Nimi Arkani-Hamed Harvard University
    4 S. James Gates Jr. University of Maryland
    5 = 1 again
    6 Michael Duff University of Michigan
    7 Joseph Lykken Fermilab
    8 Sheldon Lee Glaskow Boston University
    :::: {General R } Big : Small {Quantum Mech} (under 1 Roof)
    radiation = 10 times normal levels
    ????
    any Help {matlabing} a 3D plot of this Equality Appriciated

((Gamma Function)) Suskin

Carl Swartschields (German) "black holes" {1916}

Eligant Universe (DOE) OPB ... ?/?

This thread got me interested in where Hubí is coming from so I did a little Googling. Before he came here in 2001, he had been posting on usenet since 1994, mostly on sci.geo.geology. His posting style doesnít appear to have changed over the past 10 years - he's been posting in Hubbish all along. Around 1998, the jokesters in alt.religion.kibology discovered Hub and made fun of his postings - he became almost an internet icon in that newsgroup, with posters quoting him in their sig line. It looks like he gave up posting on usenet in 2001, and itís no wonder. Since he started posting on the BABB in 2001, he doesnít appear to be hasseled or ridiculed like he was on usenet. The kibology people even seem to miss him since he left. The BABB is a much more genteel place than usenet, probably because itís got a good moderator. And thatís a good thing, for Hub' and for the rest of us. Maybe I'll learn to speak Hubbish if I keep on reading his posts. Hope you get that gravity wave detector working, Hub'.

Roger, come over to the apollohoax forum, where Hub' is also a member, and try dissing him. We're not so constrained or polite over there, so you'll get to see what we really think of you picking on our favourite member. I was chuffed to bits when Hub' decided to grace apollohoax with his posts.

I still don't have a clue what he's on about though. I think it's one of those situations where if anyone actually figures it out, the universe will implode.

Now, I don't have a geat deal of technical knowledge and perhaps I'm just "missing" some aspect of HUb's posting style but I do have an idea about him. I see HUb' as someone who's posting in a manner that makes sense to him, stream of consciousness, if you will. Add this to his posting on a text based computer and voila! "hubbish".

Sometimes I think that in HUb's case "the medium is the message" aspect is a large part of his style. He's certainly become a sort of "cultural icon" around here. Every now and then I get an inkling about what HUb's saying but most of the time it remains a bit of a mystery for me. Bottom line, he's an interesting guy and is well accepted here.

edited once for spelling!

I know nothing of computers so this may not make sense; but if HUb's text based posting appears strange to us, do our posts appear the same as his, on HUb's system?

I know nothing of computers so this may not make sense; but if HUb's text based posting appears strange to us, do our posts appear the same as his, on HUb's system?
    Check out lyford's (EDIT: That's Lycus's) link at the top of this page. You can navigate around from there and see what a BABB thread looks like in a non-graphical browser. If you think HUb's posts are confusing!
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Check out lyford's link at the top of this page. You can navigate around from there and see what a BABB thread looks like in a non-graphical browser. If you think HUb's posts are confusing!
    Thanks ToSeek, it just made my head hurt and increased my admiration for HUb'. I wouldn't do this is it wasn't so easy.

Joe87:
    Before he came here in 2001,
    Good post Joe87, but I just want to mention that HUb' was here long before 2001. The present incarnation of the board only goes back to October of 2001, but the internet wayback machine has some of the old pages.

Check out lyford's link at the top of this page.
    I feel so invisible.

:P

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    I think he is either mentally retarded, or autistic. Either way, he posts rubbish and I believe that is a banning offense?

If I pasted lines and lines of rubbish post after post, I'm sure someone would tell me to stop or ban me.

Apart from that, it's just plain rude.

aH Ha A true critic
    actually I rather LUV
    TRUE CRITICS
    they are so full of
    the TRUE truth

now back to the SECOND second

I feel so invisible.

mm? some way i lost the DRIFT

I feel so invisible.

Well, I think ToSeek made a typus-er - a typford - a typo.

Hi Lycus - Lyford here! Us "LY" folks gots to stick together...
    Anyway, I was in the process of installing LYnx on the iBook to check it out when you so conveniently provided that site.
    I am a former LYnx user myself, back in the early 90's using an ATARI ST to connect to the net through GEnie.
    Egads, 300 baud and we liked it like that!!!

20040826 112345678

Quote Originally Posted by milli360
    Joe87:
    Before he came here in 2001,
    Good post Joe87, but I just want to mention that HUb' was here long before 2001. The present incarnation of the board only goes back to October of 2001, but the internet wayback machine has some of the old pages.

oh yeah? now I REMember (F{r}iction)
    if I can i'll supply a link below

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/vi...?p=32558#32558 "Myth"

Though my own limited investigation points to HUb' being a student at Portland State, the romantic in me still theorizes that he is a rogue AI agent, escaped from a Beowulf cluster at MIT; roaming cyberspace on the run and posting clues garnered from all reaches of the internet. :wink:
    We won't tell your secret HUb'!

Quote Originally Posted by lyford
    I feel so invisible.

Well, I think ToSeek made a typus-er - a typford - a typo.

Hi Lycus - Lyford here! Us "LY" folks gots to stick together...
    That's not so bad. I keep getting Lycus, Lurker, and Lyford mixed up. Maybe I should spend more time at the BABB family album putting faces with the names so I can keep them straight.
    Probably just age induced senility setting in.