Thread: Precession

Hybrid View

A while ago there was something written in another thread about the location of the stars with respect to the pyramids and another earth based structures etc ... people trying to say that they're pointing to certain stars.

I was wondering if anyone knew of the location of the stars at the time of construction of the pyramids or anything else. Or how precession has affected astronomy or navigation.

I have read a little about precession being the reason bhind the "sky falling on our heads" claim .. but little else.

Interesting stuff. Perhaps the pyramids have to be aligned with some celestial bodies at some time in the future? Okay .. that was a little to x-files for me. look forward to hearing your thoughts and reading your links.

I used to really be into the Egypt stuff. From what I've read, the pyramids are aligned to the stars as they were back in the past. They don't quite line up anymore. There are also places in South America that seem to correspond to particular stars.

Yeah, me too Tinaa

According to Robert Bauval & Adrian Gilbert (stop sniggering at the back) certain shafts or tunnels within the Pyramids were aligned with Sirius etc and I think Polaris. The only way they could prove this was by simulating precession using SkyGlobe (no, honest&#33 and from that they were also able to date the Pyramids. I can't remember when they claim the Pyramids were built though.

This part of it I could well believe... we all know how obsessed the Egyptians were with the afterlife and apparently the reason for these tunnels and their alignment with the stars was so the soul could easily leave the Pyramid and move on to the afterlife.

Perhaps more interesting but more dubious was the claim that the three great pyramids are aligned in a pattern that matches the aligment of the three stars of Orion's belt. They also said that the relative sizes of those three pyramids also matched the relative magnitudes of the three stars.

They took the idea further by claiming that other, lesser pyramids elsewhere in Egypt were strategically placed to represent such stars as Aldebaran and (I believe) Betelgeuse and Rigel. In other words, they were trying to create a very big star map of the Orion region on the ground.

There was a very good BBC documentary that aired here in the UK when their book was first released. No doubt it helped the book to hit the bestseller lists.

Since then, Bauval has sunken somewhat by concentrating on more offbeat topics with Graham Hancock... such as the face on Mars - and Gilbert has since moved on to the Mayans.