Thread: Hard Drive Parition Problem

Hard Drive Parition Problem

Today I went to one of my astronomy professors to have him help me partition my hard drive so that I could run Linux on part of it to make programming stuff easier. We were using Partition Magic to do it, and at some point during the install something went wrong and it all just kind of crashed. Now I can't access the main hard drive partition of my computer (with EVERYTHING on it). It won't even boot up under windows; I'm running a linux boot disk at the moment. When I try to access the drive from Linux, I get the following message:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1

missing codepage or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

dmseg | tail or so

At this point, it's not looking good. But what I want to know is is there ANY way I can access some of those files on that HD and copy them to an external drive before I erase everything. I was stupid and never backed up those files, and I really don't want to lose things like pictures and stories and music that I had. Any (extremely) bright ideas?

You can try to create a PE (preinstalled environment) CD to boot from. If you have your windows installation CD, go to BartPE and download the builder. I've never really tried it in anger (other than to make the CD and see that it works) but it should have a good chance of seeing the drives.
    Good luck!

I might try something like that. Basically, I will try whatever necessary before giving up. I don't want to lose my stuff!

That's why Partition Magic recommends doing a complete HDD backup before you make any partition changes.

Bad luck, though. PM is usually pretty reliable. Hope you are able to recover your data.

At his point, I would recommend finding another computer, temporarily remove the cd drive cable and plug in your now dead disk drive. You should be able to recover the data that way.

Be careful trying this method. If you slave your dead drive on an 2000/XP system, it may try and fix it for you. Don't let it just yet. It will only make things worse.

Partition Magic is one of those programs that work really well, but when it doesn't, it does a great job of trashing your OS. But I think you already know that. :P

Edit to add:

If you have data that must be recovered, I recommend this program It's a shareware program that does an awesome job of recovering data. And alot less expensive then getting it done professionally or buying other very expensive data recovery software. Of coure, you still need another computer to run it on, but it all comes down to how important your data is.

If none of the other suggestions work, it might be helpful to try Tom's Root/Boot disk at http://www.toms.net/rb This is a working Linux system on floppy, you could boot up, and possibly mount the hard drive partitions, and either fix the Linux to make it bootable, or just recover the files and move them to some other medium...

Do any of these suggestions change if my computer is a laptop? (sorry, forgot to mention that earlier!)

Quote Originally Posted by Normandy6644
    Do any of these suggestions change if my computer is a laptop? (sorry, forgot to mention that earlier!)
    Nope, shouldn't be a problem. You can get an adapter at any computer store/radio shack for about $15.00 that will let you plug your laptop disk into a desktop.

It will look like this.

Well that gives me a bit of hope. I went to that data recovery website and they claim to be able to recover data from messed up partitions, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...