Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: America has been cancelled

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,776

    America has been cancelled

    (A Message from John Cleese To the citizens of the United States of America):

    http://www.doomsters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=268

    Nice!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,885

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by jt-3d View Post
    It's still funny, and if this post (7 years later) causes even on person to read it, it will be worth the warning I will receive for daring to post 7 years late.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabyte View Post
    It's still funny, and if this post (7 years later) causes even on person to read it, it will be worth the warning I will receive for daring to post 7 years late.
    Hey, I got to read posts by some dear friends who are, one way or another, no longer with us. That's worth something.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Hey, I got to read posts by some dear friends who are, one way or another, no longer with us. That's worth something.
    I know what you mean...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,039
    It's still funny. It's just too bad the original authors never get any credit.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    619
    Hilarious!



    tbm

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    9,088
    =D> =D> =D>
    Now where do I send my application to get on the dole and what is it worth these days?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    220
    The redcoats are coming! Raise the militia!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,686

    Re: America has been cancelled

    Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America.
    That would be news for Toronto. :wink:

    I'd say the immature folks are those who, after losing the big game 222 years ago, are still bearing a grudge!

    Funny piece, especially as it evolved per the Snopes documentation.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    10,433

    Re: America has been cancelled

    Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov
    Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America.
    That would be news for Toronto. :wink:

    I'd say the immature folks are those who, after losing the big game 222 years ago, are still bearing a grudge!

    Funny piece, especially as it evolved per the Snopes documentation.

    They weren't too happy about the rematch in 1812 either, apparently. Bloody "football" fans trounced Washington thoroughly before going home... :P

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,178
    Link not working here.

    EDIT: Is now.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    211

    Re: America has been cancelled

    Well I agree with every point

    Especially the rugby part, stop wearing padding ya wimps.

    The one thig I'd add is that Americans should learn to distinguish different British accents. A Geordie and a Brummie sound totally different #-o

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,776
    The one thing I'd add is that Americans should learn to distinguish different British accents. A Geordie and a Brummie sound totally different d'oh!
    When I was in Epcot a few years ago, I got talking to an English waiter in the "English" pub, he told me that Americans would not believe that he was English because of his Geordie accent! (North-East England...VERY distinctive!)
    To be fair, I can't distinguish between different American accents, (but I CAN tell that they are American!)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    9,088

    Re: America has been cancelled

    Quote Originally Posted by Doodler
    ...They weren't too happy about the rematch in 1812 either, apparently. Bloody "football" fans trounced Washington thoroughly before going home... :P
    Would someone kindly instruct us western 'cousins' on the proper use of, and the British fascination with, the word 'bloody'? :P

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,291

    Re: America has been cancelled

    Quote Originally Posted by sarongsong
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodler
    ...They weren't too happy about the rematch in 1812 either, apparently. Bloody "football" fans trounced Washington thoroughly before going home... :P
    Would someone kindly instruct us western 'cousins' on the proper use of, and the British fascination with, the word 'bloody'? :P
    See here. Warning for language.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,005

    Re: America has been cancelled

    Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov
    Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America.
    That would be news for Toronto. :wink:

    I'd say the immature folks are those who, after losing the big game 222 years ago, are still bearing a grudge!
    The loss of empire is still a hard blow for many Europeans, but I don't think they can regain it by declarations.

    There is a story that the World Series is so named because it was sponsored by a newspaper called the New York World, but this version is disputed. http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp In any event, the logic in the quote is somewhat convoluted, if the game were not played outside of America (and it is, but never mind that) then the championship certainly would be the world championship.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,005

    Re: America has been cancelled

    Quote Originally Posted by Doodler
    Bloody "football" fans trounced Washington thoroughly before going home... :P
    The British burning of Washington in 1814 appears to be taught in every American school, or at least those in which teaching still occurs. The American burning of York in Upper Canada in 1813 seems to be a much less popular topic in American schools.

  19. #19
    Lots of weird stuff happened in colonial and post-colonial America. The US invaded Canada during the Revolution, York was razed, Washington was razed, and a large formation of US militia slated to invade Canada in 1812 was scared off by a bunch of native irregulars making loud noises. The militia's leaders decided that they were for defensive purposes only and they abandoned the army to invade by itself.

    The IRA also arguably was born during the Fenian raids across the US-Canada border.

    But of course none of this is taught in either American or Canadian schools.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,806
    the link in the OP is a dead link.. apparently teh internets aren't eternal..

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by zebo-the-fat View Post
    (A Message from John Cleese To the citizens of the United States of America):

    http://www.doomsters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=268

    Nice!
    I've met John! Terribly different gent over drinks than in the media.

    This is so characteristic. Ha-ha, his tongue in cheek, just read it in context. Wonderful statesmen.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    27,060
    Did you miss the part where he didn't write it?
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Did you miss the part where he didn't write it?
    Must have. Regardless, the link is now defunct, so I'll have to take your word on it.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    18,199
    Quote Originally Posted by DoggerDan View Post
    Must have. Regardless, the link is now defunct, so I'll have to take your word on it.
    The snopes link works. That's the one to follow and read.
    __________________________________________________
    Reductionist and proud of it.

    Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    The snopes link works. That's the one to follow and read.
    I trust SNOPES for anything non-political. I don't trust it for anything political. As SNOPES has 43 categories, only one of which is "politics," I trust roughly 98% of it.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by DoggerDan View Post
    I trust SNOPES for anything non-political. I don't trust it for anything political. As SNOPES has 43 categories, only one of which is "politics," I trust roughly 98% of it.
    Please refrain from discussing politics.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    18,199
    So, seeing that the question was whether the piece was written by John Cleese, which is not a political question, you'll trust Snopes on the answer?
    __________________________________________________
    Reductionist and proud of it.

    Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    So, seeing that the question was whether the piece was written by John Cleese, which is not a political question, you'll trust Snopes on the answer?
    What link? "Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.doomsters.net"

    Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    The snopes link works. That's the one to follow and read.
    But it appears political, and as I don't trust SNOPES for their opinion on political commentary, can I even trust them to accurately represent John Cleese's article?

    Just funning with you, Henrik.

    No doubt it's a fake, but it's a good impression of how John Cleese might come across. I picked up on the fakery at "...you will go metric," as the UK and the US are just about the only two nations in the world that remain primarily non-Metric. I learned both Metric and SI as an engineering student, and used metric quite a bit throughout my career. I hear the UK has only partially been "metricified."

  29. #29
    OK I don't think the smile face is enough. That was A JOKE and not a subtle but humorous commentary on something completely unrelated to this topic.

    Yes, that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Similar Threads

  1. Stargate SG1 cancelled
    By Humphrey in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2007-Apr-14, 03:56 AM
  2. South America separating from North America
    By jkmccrann in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2005-Oct-26, 06:23 PM
  3. Enterprise Cancelled.
    By hewhocaves in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 2005-Feb-16, 01:18 AM
  4. Enterprise: Cancelled
    By galaxygirl in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2005-Feb-09, 12:15 PM
  5. South America separating from North America
    By John Kierein in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 2004-Nov-18, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: