Thread: America has been cancelled

Hybrid View

America has been cancelled

(A Message from John Cleese To the citizens of the United States of America):

http://www.doomsters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=268

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by jt-3d View Post
    It's still funny, and if this post (7 years later) causes even on person to read it, it will be worth the warning I will receive for daring to post 7 years late.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabyte View Post
    It's still funny, and if this post (7 years later) causes even on person to read it, it will be worth the warning I will receive for daring to post 7 years late.
    Hey, I got to read posts by some dear friends who are, one way or another, no longer with us. That's worth something.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Hey, I got to read posts by some dear friends who are, one way or another, no longer with us. That's worth something.
    I know what you mean...

It's still funny. It's just too bad the original authors never get any credit.

Hilarious!

tbm

=D> =D> =D>
    Now where do I send my application to get on the dole and what is it worth these days?

The redcoats are coming! Raise the militia!

Re: America has been cancelled

Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America.
    That would be news for Toronto. :wink:

I'd say the immature folks are those who, after losing the big game 222 years ago, are still bearing a grudge!

Funny piece, especially as it evolved per the Snopes documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov
    Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America.

I'd say the immature folks are those who, after losing the big game 222 years ago, are still bearing a grudge!

Funny piece, especially as it evolved per the Snopes documentation.

They weren't too happy about the rematch in 1812 either, apparently. Bloody "football" fans trounced Washington thoroughly before going home... :P

Link not working here.

EDIT: Is now.

Well I agree with every point

Especially the rugby part, stop wearing padding ya wimps.

The one thig I'd add is that Americans should learn to distinguish different British accents. A Geordie and a Brummie sound totally different #-o

The one thing I'd add is that Americans should learn to distinguish different British accents. A Geordie and a Brummie sound totally different d'oh!
    When I was in Epcot a few years ago, I got talking to an English waiter in the "English" pub, he told me that Americans would not believe that he was English because of his Geordie accent! (North-East England...VERY distinctive!)
    To be fair, I can't distinguish between different American accents, (but I CAN tell that they are American!)

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler
    ...They weren't too happy about the rematch in 1812 either, apparently. Bloody "football" fans trounced Washington thoroughly before going home... :P
    Would someone kindly instruct us western 'cousins' on the proper use of, and the British fascination with, the word 'bloody'? :P

Quote Originally Posted by sarongsong
    ...They weren't too happy about the rematch in 1812 either, apparently. Bloody "football" fans trounced Washington thoroughly before going home... :P
    Would someone kindly instruct us western 'cousins' on the proper use of, and the British fascination with, the word 'bloody'? :P
    See here. Warning for language.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov

The loss of empire is still a hard blow for many Europeans, but I don't think they can regain it by declarations.

There is a story that the World Series is so named because it was sponsored by a newspaper called the New York World, but this version is disputed. http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp In any event, the logic in the quote is somewhat convoluted, if the game were not played outside of America (and it is, but never mind that) then the championship certainly would be the world championship.

Bloody "football" fans trounced Washington thoroughly before going home... :P
    The British burning of Washington in 1814 appears to be taught in every American school, or at least those in which teaching still occurs. The American burning of York in Upper Canada in 1813 seems to be a much less popular topic in American schools.

Lots of weird stuff happened in colonial and post-colonial America. The US invaded Canada during the Revolution, York was razed, Washington was razed, and a large formation of US militia slated to invade Canada in 1812 was scared off by a bunch of native irregulars making loud noises. The militia's leaders decided that they were for defensive purposes only and they abandoned the army to invade by itself.

The IRA also arguably was born during the Fenian raids across the US-Canada border.

But of course none of this is taught in either American or Canadian schools.

the link in the OP is a dead link.. apparently teh internets aren't eternal..

Quote Originally Posted by zebo-the-fat View Post
    (A Message from John Cleese To the citizens of the United States of America):

http://www.doomsters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=268

Nice!
    I've met John! Terribly different gent over drinks than in the media.

This is so characteristic. Ha-ha, his tongue in cheek, just read it in context. Wonderful statesmen.

Did you miss the part where he didn't write it?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Did you miss the part where he didn't write it?
    Must have. Regardless, the link is now defunct, so I'll have to take your word on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoggerDan View Post
    Must have. Regardless, the link is now defunct, so I'll have to take your word on it.
    The snopes link works. That's the one to follow and read.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    I trust SNOPES for anything non-political. I don't trust it for anything political. As SNOPES has 43 categories, only one of which is "politics," I trust roughly 98% of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoggerDan View Post
    I trust SNOPES for anything non-political. I don't trust it for anything political. As SNOPES has 43 categories, only one of which is "politics," I trust roughly 98% of it.
    Please refrain from discussing politics.

So, seeing that the question was whether the piece was written by John Cleese, which is not a political question, you'll trust Snopes on the answer?

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

So, seeing that the question was whether the piece was written by John Cleese, which is not a political question, you'll trust Snopes on the answer?
    What link? "Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.doomsters.net"

But it appears political, and as I don't trust SNOPES for their opinion on political commentary, can I even trust them to accurately represent John Cleese's article?

Just funning with you, Henrik.

No doubt it's a fake, but it's a good impression of how John Cleese might come across. I picked up on the fakery at "...you will go metric," as the UK and the US are just about the only two nations in the world that remain primarily non-Metric. I learned both Metric and SI as an engineering student, and used metric quite a bit throughout my career. I hear the UK has only partially been "metricified."

OK I don't think the smile face is enough. That was A JOKE and not a subtle but humorous commentary on something completely unrelated to this topic.

Yes, that is my story and I am sticking to it.