I am stuck again in the middle of nowhere, and so I got a chance to see on DVD the 1951 film "When Worlds Collide" produced by George Pal
Apparently it won an Oscar for special effects.
it is described here
My initial thoughts are
1) Is this where Planet X hype comes from?
2) Would something approaching Earth be spotted with more than 8 months ahead of time?. If something was coming from the far boundry of our solar system, it would have to be at relativistic velocities to make it in the time, I would have thought.
3) In the UN another astronomer comes to different conclusions about the data and he is believed. Is that how science works. I thought it was by peer review and calm discussion about the data. Am I so naive? ops:
4) Eventually everyone else admits they were right, so how come Uncle Sam does not commandeer the whole project, still a private enterprise.
5) Would that rocket ship work? Was 1950's technology up to the job.
6) Earth is ripped apart by Zyra, how come when we see the surface of Zyra, it is untouched. Surely the Earth would have had just as damaging an effect on Zyra
7) Strange how as a sun is a few hours away, they are not burnt up until right at collision
8 ) No sign of any other rocket ships from other countries
9) As we watch the rocket turn in space, we can see Stars !!!
10) The rocket ship crash lands on an icy mountain range in a snow field. That ship must have been hot as when the open the airlock and walk out, it is lush and green.
11) The atmoshphere just happens to be breathable, and they did not have a cute monkey like the did on "Amazon Women on the Moon"
After I saw the film, I played the theatrical trailer for it, and that must have been the funniest one I have seen in a long time.
Edit Had to retype the beginning of the eight point as 8 followed by ) became the emoticon with shades 8)