Thread: More 2012 Nonsense

More 2012 Nonsense

Here are some scenarios of what the woowoos claim will happen in 2012. Some of these are different to the ones we have seen so far, so I thought I would post them:

http://www.levity.com/eschaton/finalillusion.html

Two of them are about the sun exploding (with nasa link included, that shows study of the sun, not woo but they used it anyway). the other about a quasar in the center of our galaxy that could explode an irradiate gamma rays and ultraviolet rays, killing us all of course. Other ones cover UFos, hyperspatial breakthrough, something called a 'planetesimal impact" and so on.

the galactic alligment cannot cause the sun to explode and regardless to the claims, I don't think the sun is blowing up anytime soon.

But is there some truth about the quasar? can it be lethal? and what is the planetesimal impact? I have found no info on it.

Well, not being a expert at physics or particularly knowledgable about quasars, I can still say the following. If a quasar at the center of the galaxy ignites in 2012, manages to spew out enough radiation to be actually dangerous at that distance, and happens to somehow be aimed to intercept earth in it's travels, we'll all still be tens of thousands of years too dead of old age to care by the time it becomes a problem.

"Planetesimal" sounds like their made-up word for a planetoid impact (i.e. meteor, comet, etc.).

There actually is some danger of a "gamma ray burst" from the center of the galaxy, but it would literally take eons to reach us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesh
    "Planetesimal" sounds like their made-up word for a planetoid impact (i.e. meteor, comet, etc.).

There actually is some danger of a "gamma ray burst" from the center of the galaxy, but it would literally take eons to reach us.
    We would be dead by the time it gets to earth, so it wouldn't work. Also, the distance is a factor. It would have to be pointed at us as well.

ops: The first reply had explained it.

And upon further inspection, that particular website appears to have died back in 2000 along with the guy that was the driving force behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel H.
    And upon further inspection, that particular website appears to have died back in 2000 along with the guy that was the driving force behind it.
    Maybe he lost faith in the 2012 "doomsday".

Can anybody tell me what is meant by "hyperspatial breakthrough"? Does it mean a new development or discovery in how to enter hyperspace? The guy of the link mentions a breakthrough of humanity into hyperspace. Would it be even possible for us to enter hyperspace? I guess he means other dimensions and certainly laws of physics would be different in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesh

"Planetesimal" is an actual astronomical term that refers to the the small bodies orbiting the star during the formation of a solar system. They become planets when they no longer accrete matter and reach their definitive size/orbit. The term was indeed misused.

Re: More 2012 Nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestar
    Can anybody tell me what is meant by "hyperspatial breakthrough"? Does it mean a new development or discovery in how to enter hyperspace? The guy of the link mentions a breakthrough of humanity into hyperspace. Would it be even possible for us to enter hyperspace? I guess he means other dimensions and certainly laws of physics would be different in them.
    It's a term commonly used in a European theory of physics, developed in the Italian town of Bologna. The end product of the theory is often found in cheap hyperdimensional hoagies.

Re: More 2012 Nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov
    It's a term commonly used in a European theory of physics, developed in the Italian town of Bologna. The end product of the theory is often found in cheap hyperdimensional hoagies.
    Yes indeed. Fortunately, there is a highly accurate method of detection available for use in just such instances of *bologna overload*. :wink: