Thread: Embryonic Journey

Embryonic Journey

May 19
    "...Scientists at Newcastle University...said they had successfully produced a blastocyst -- a tiny, early-stage embryo consisting of a hollow ball of cells -- cloned from a human cell using nuclear transfer...The announcement came on the same day that a team of South Korean scientists announced they had developed the first lines of patient-specific stem cells, designed to match the DNA of a specific person..."

Re: Embryonic Journey

Quote Originally Posted by sarongsong
    May 19
    "...Scientists at Newcastle University...said they had successfully produced a blastocyst -- a tiny, early-stage embryo consisting of a hollow ball of cells -- cloned from a human cell using nuclear transfer...The announcement came on the same day that a team of South Korean scientists announced they had developed the first lines of patient-specific stem cells, designed to match the DNA of a specific person..."
    So, sarongsong, what's your take on all this late-breaking cellular news? You first! :wink:

Well, it's a hot topic for sure. Score 1 for the Brits and I'm surprised at South Korea's coup. California just appropriated $3 billion for stem cell research, with San Francisco winning out over San Diego and Sacramento for the research center location. Big controversy now over releasing the funds, how much to who; squabble-squabble-squabble. If we're going to space, we'll need 'spare parts' or replacements. Pretty exciting times for biology majors. I see politics/religion getting involved, but, like the book title, "Open Is Broken"!

Good reply sarongsong. I also laud the Brits/ROK and anticipate controversy regarding funding & "morals," but that's not surprising. I was going to say "the genie is out of the bottle," but "Open is Broken" works too.