Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The greatest villain in Science Fiction

The greatest villain in Science Fiction

So who is your choice for coolest/badest villian in SF and why?

I'll go with Darth Vader. Hey, I was a kid growing up when I saw the movie and that was before the whole "you are my father" debacle. The James Earl Jones voice, force powers and a glowing laser sword just seem to place him naturally at the top.

That being said, I think Q from TNG is a close second.

I'll also go with Darth Vader (the Star Wars/Empire pre-"I'm your father" Vader) number one. A cold, calculating, evil-overlord badness.

Close second, the Goa'uld from Star Gate. Technologically advanced, bent on galactic tion, cool glowing eyes and James Earl Jones-ish voices...plus the whole parasite in someones head thing. Baal being the best example. Villainy goodness!

Running third...(and dating myself) Julian Sands from the movie Warlock. He just oozed evil.

Vader is a good choice.

Will I lose cool points if I name a villain from a sci-fi cartoon? Because I say the greatest villain was the planet-eating Unicron from the Transformers cartoon movie, voiced by Orsen Welles. It was his last role.

Re: The greatest villain in Science Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Jpax2003
    I would say not even close. In fact, Q is not really a "villain" -- more like a petulant spoiled brat with an infinite power. Notice that he never killed anybody, although tormented many people in various petty ways.

Q did drag the Enterprise thousands of light years to meet a Borg cube which killed several crewmen, if I remember correctly. He didn't kill them himself but he put them into a deadly situation.

That oil-slick thing that killed Tasha Ya was a bit nasty... :wink:

Lord Vox of Vestron (from The Adventures of Captain Zoom http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112292/ )
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Im going to have to say General Zod.

Vader probably tops my list too. Empire Strikes Back, the best Star Wars movie ever made, was his movie.

I like the HAL 9000 too - the modern Frankenstein's monster. The way in which he kills the helpless three astronauts in hibernation is truly chilling for me.

General Zod is a good villain just off sheer attitude. "I win. I always win. Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!"

Sauron is a great villain, even though he never makes an "appearance" in the book.

I like the Mule as well, from the Foundation series. A truly pitiable villain.

Zorak.

Doctor Smith!

The Master from Doctor Who (the Roger Delgado years especially)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    Doctor Smith!
    In the category of "Comic Relief/Semi-Bad Guy", Smith comes in second to Harry Mudd. :wink:

Mr. Morden from B5... he's just so cool and smooth. Always offering that patent "evil smile" at all times, even when he should be really angry. But when that smile drops, or turns into a scowl... LOOK OUT! Someone is going to turn up dead.

Evil with a purpose is just so much fun to watch.

Vader? Meh. Mindless evil. Evil for the sake of evil isn't as interesting.

I liked Dukat from DS9, simply because he was not your average one dimsensional villan.

He is not even necisarily evil, from a pantomime sense. He just does lots of very bad things by action or inaction, and justifys them that it is for the greater good (or what he sees as being the greater good).

Dr. Smith from Lost in Space.

"Spare me the poisonous barbs Major West!"

The Mayor from Buffy. Guts you like a trout AND practices good oral hygiene.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilya
    I would say not even close. In fact, Q is not really a "villain" -- more like a petulant spoiled brat with an infinite power. Notice that he never killed anybody, although tormented many people in various petty ways.
    Q should have turned out to be Trelane from the Squire of Gothos, out to play with the Enterprise after being grounded 50 years for doing it the first time.

If you ignore the final episode...

The powers that be running The Village in the series "The Prisoner"

Unseen, unknown, meticulous, intelligent, sneaky and mysterious. They were quite often several steps ahead of our hero.

NUMBER 2: "By the time we finish with him, he won't know whether he's Number 6 or the cube root of infinity."

---

Colussus the computer from "Colussus: The Forbin Project".

COLUSSUS: "Time and events will strengthen my position, and the idea of believing in me and understanding my value will be seen the most natural state of affairs. You will come to defend me with the fervor based upon the most enduring trait in man: self-interest."

---

Dr. Morbius' subconscious creation in "Forbidden Planet".

DR. MORBIUS: "The fool, the meddling idiot. As though his ape's brain could contain the secrets of the Krell."

---

Honorable mentions:

- The Martians in "War Of The Worlds"
    - The rogue planet and star in "When Worlds Collide"
    - The society depicted in "Gattaca"
    - The System Lords from Stargate SG-1
    - Skynet & the Terminators

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Q should have turned out to be Trelane from the Squire of Gothos, out to play with the Enterprise after being grounded 50 years for doing it the first time.
    In one of the Star Trek books, Trelane turned out to be Q's illegitimate son, IIRC.

For coolest villain I'd also pick with Vader.

For evilest villain in science fiction I'd have to go with Rick Berman.

The Eddorians from E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series.

I always thought Breetai was pretty cool. Maybe not Darth Vader cool, but still pretty cool.

It has to be the Shadows from Babylon 5. A bit like Xenomporphs with extra brains and a taste for galactic politics. And their planet killer has to be the coolest superweapon around.

Closely followed by that would be any human villain with a sense of humor.

Surely somewhere in the running must be:

How about HAL? Cutting one astronaut loose and refusing to open the pod bay door for another while never once raising his voice or even gloating. Totally amoral.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    In one of the Star Trek books, Trelane turned out to be Q's illegitimate son, IIRC.
    Trelane was identified as a member of the Q Continuum, but he wasn't related to Q directly.

Blackie DuQuesne.

And Ming the Merciless from Mongo, for those in the cheap seats.

I checked sites for this
    some say Borg Star Trek, others say the Joker, while many think it's Vader but some go for Emperor Palpatine
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14007
    http://www.thespacesite.com/communit...showtopic=1145
    sci fi bad guy link

Hal 9000 was real bad