Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unrealistic moments in unrealistic movies

Hybrid View

Unrealistic moments in unrealistic movies

Some movies don't attempt at all too be realisitic. They're just trying to make you laugh and generally be silly. But yet no matter how completely unbelievable the rest of the movie purposely is, sometimes there are just some scenes that bug me. Here's an example:

In The Blues Brothers, I can handle an entire city police force, the army and SWAT all after two guys. I can handle driving through the inside of a shopping mall without injurying anyone or running into a concrete wall, I can even handle seeing "the light".

But for some reason when the nazi's are chasing the blues mobile to the end of the incomplete freeway, and the car reverses, flips over, and yet is some how now facing the opposite direction to make a quick gettaway, it just bugs me!

how can that bug u! that is the greatest part of the entire movie!

It cracks me up everytime i see it. Its an absolutely brillianr tactic to get out of an otherwise hopeless situation. Brilliantly executed.

Nobody should watch the Blues Brothers expecting a realistic depiction of police tactics and vehicle dynamics. The whole movie is supposed to be absurd.

Nobody should watch Star Wars or Star Trek expecting a science lesson, either.

Re: Unrealistic moments in unrealistic movies

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno
    In The Blues Brothers, I can handle an entire city police force, the army and SWAT all after two guys.
    I think this is sop for the Houston PD. Any high speed chase automatically clears the donut shops and puts as many as thriteen* cruisers from various jurisdictions on the tail of the perpetrator. Sometimes we even get these live on local TV... from three or more stations (helicopters are popular).

Talk about your reality teevee.

*Highest at one time I have personally counted.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

In Speed, when the bus jumps the gap in the highway, the way the front end lifts up looked a little silly. And there were a few times when driving through the city I couldn't see how they maintained 50MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyv
    In Speed, when the bus jumps the gap in the highway, the way the front end lifts up looked a little silly. And there were a few times when driving through the city I couldn't see how they maintained 50MPH.
    Actually, since the engine on those busses is in the back, that's probably not too far off. As soon as it cleared the edge, the back end would probably tend to drop. FWIW, they really DID jump a bus for that shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar28
    Actually, since the engine on those busses is in the back, that's probably not too far off. As soon as it cleared the edge, the back end would probably tend to drop. FWIW, they really DID jump a bus for that shot.
    Yeah, but the front lifted not the back dropped.

They did a real bus jump but they had a ramp. The then took out (didn't show) the ramp for the movie. So for no reason the bus suddenly leaps upwards right before driving off the end of the bridge.

In The Blues Brothers...
    Personally, I love the fact that the Nazi car shoots off the ramp and is seen falling. As it falls, the Sears tower can be seen coming into shot below it! How high was that bridge?!?!?!

On a side note, John Landis came to Texas A&M for a screening of the Blue Brothers and commented on how he thought that was one of the funniest shots in the movie.

I've ridden public buses in LA on the freeway. they never get up to 50 mph.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I've NEVER seen the blues brothers. You are making me want to rent it hehe :P

I recommend it. Hilarious.

"Blues Brothers" was the FIRST movie I saw after coming to the US.

Opened my eyes (and ears) to sweet soul music. Go watch it. NOW!

Cheers
    John

A bus going off the end of an unfinished bridge would definitely nosedive, without regard for where the engine is located, unless it was going very fast. My guess is that the front wheels would drop so quickly that it would have to be going pretty fast just to keep the underside from scraping the edge as it was leaving the roadway.

And if it could be done at all, it would take an expert driver to keep a city bus right side up and on the road navigating a 90 degree urban intersection at 50 MPH. Even on something as gently curving as an expressway ramp, the 4-wheel drift caused by the flexing of the tire sidewalls would make it very difficult to keep it on the road at that speed.

Good eye candy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kidd
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar28
    Yeah, but the front lifted not the back dropped.

They did a real bus jump but they had a ramp. The then took out (didn't show) the ramp for the movie. So for no reason the bus suddenly leaps upwards right before driving off the end of the bridge.
    Not a ramp but steel cabling. I remember watching the "Making of..." on HBO. The bus was flown through the air on cables, much like a stage production of Peter Pan... they did not actually jump the bus in anyway.

Eh? Huh, I remember a Making of... show which said they jumped the thing, sans the gap, that was added in later. It trashed the stunt bus, warped the frame, crumpled good portions of it etc.

Maybe I'm thinking of a different movie...

Here we go.

Site

There's nothing like watching a real bus jump a gap in the freeway, believable or not, it's still real.
    [snip]
    The Bus Jump is a 9 and a half minute behind-the-scenes look as the stunt coordinator preps the crew for the film's biggest action sequence. Funny how the guy is talking through a megaphone to be sure that everyone hears him, yet it's really the one guy who's going to be driving the bus that most of the emergency procedures will apply to.
    From another site:
    like the cable pulling the exploding bus,
    Maybe the cables you're remembering were involved with the explosion at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kidd
    Here we go.

Site

There's nothing like watching a real bus jump a gap in the freeway, believable or not, it's still real.
    [snip]
    The Bus Jump is a 9 and a half minute behind-the-scenes look as the stunt coordinator preps the crew for the film's biggest action sequence. Funny how the guy is talking through a megaphone to be sure that everyone hears him, yet it's really the one guy who's going to be driving the bus that most of the emergency procedures will apply to.
    From another site:
    like the cable pulling the exploding bus,
    Maybe the cables you're remembering were involved with the explosion at the end?
    Could be... I recall them doing the "jump" by suspension though. The first link doesn't mention how they pulled the stunt off, and the bus got a lot more air than would be possible even with a ramp... at least with the angle of attack they "launched" at it. It had to be lifted somehow to provide the airtime in the shot we saw in the final edit.

You realize of course that the engine is not going to accelerate towards the ground any faster than the front of the bus, heavier or not.

The exploding bus in Speed bugs me. For enough explosives to "blow a hole in the world" (I think that was the quote) it was kind of a lame piddly little fireball.

"Oh blessed lady of acceleration, don't fail me now!" =D>

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Could be... I recall them doing the "jump" by suspension though. The first link doesn't mention how they pulled the stunt off, and the bus got a lot more air than would be possible even with a ramp... at least with the angle of attack they "launched" at it. It had to be lifted somehow to provide the airtime in the shot we saw in the final edit.
    I just checked the featurette on the Speed DVD that discusses the bus jump. It was done using a modified bus and a ramp, no cables. It still wasn't very realistic though since they had to make the bus faster and more sturdy than a typical bus.

Anyone who does not enjoy the Blues Brothers has already died!

In The Blues Brothers, I can handle an entire city police force, the army and SWAT all after two guys. I can handle driving through the inside of a shopping mall without injurying anyone or running into a concrete wall, I can even handle seeing "the light".

But for some reason when the nazi's are chasing the blues mobile to the end of the incomplete freeway, and the car reverses, flips over, and yet is some how now facing the opposite direction to make a quick gettaway, it just bugs me!
    It bugs me, too. It's because they could have done it right, and shown the car rolling as well. All the other stuff is farce, and it's funny because it's absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm220
    "Oh blessed lady of acceleration, don't fail me now!" =D>
    Almost.

"Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now!"

"I bet they've got SCMODS."

This seems to be turning into a Blues Brothers appreciation thread...so let me add my affirmatives to it.

This film came out in perhaps my worst summer--I had lost my teaching job due to cutbacks, I was looking at moving back in with my parents and had to hang around my half-empty (teaching didn't pay well--still doesn't I gather) apartment hoping to get a call for an interview. I was, to put it mildly, a tad bit depressed.

So I must have the seen that movie 10-12 times that summer, because no matter how bad the day was, I could always find something to laugh about with Jake and Elwood.

Shoot!
    What?
    Rollers.
    No!
    Yep.
    Shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch
    This seems to be turning into a Blues Brothers appreciation thread...
    I'm sure we could just as quickly turn it into a Blues Brothers 2000 hatred thread. What was Dan Ackroyd thinking? #-o

What about "Men In Black",they have a car in that that can drive on the ceiling.
    Why, if you had a car that could drive on the ceiling, wouldn't you just go the whole hog and just make the car fly?

but thats more of a plot thing.

For stupid stunt scenes watch raiders of the lost ark etc.... for the mine cart chase....

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march
    For stupied stunt scenes watch raiders of the lost ark etc.... for the mine cart chase....

Wasn't that Temple of Doom? It was awful.