Thread: Lemon Sherbert

Lemon Sherbert

Has anyone seen lemon sherbert in the grocery store?

I'm serious - I used to love the stuff when I was a kid living in New York (don't ask how many years ago that was). However, I have not seen it in a grocery store in I don't know how many years.

First it was the lemon sherbert - now I can't find a salt bagel in Dallas.

What next won't I be able to find in the stores?

BTW, when did they drop the size of a half-gallon of ice cream to 1.75 quarts (but raise the price)?

I'll look. I am a lime man myself.

I can get it up here in Minnesota, I have a quart up in the freezer.

It is a lot easier to keep things cold here, though. maybe that has something to do with it :P

Re: Lemon Sherbert

Quote Originally Posted by tmosher
    Edy's makes an excellent lemon sorbet. I think it's particularly good mixed with their raspberry sorbet.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey
    Edy's makes an excellent lemon sorbet. I think it's particularly good mixed with their raspberry sorbet.
    It must be a regional thing - I have not been able to find either lemon sherbert or lemon sorbet in North Texas or Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Now raspberry sherbert, that's an acceptable substitute for me.

There's a Safeway brand here in Maryland. With lemon crunchy stuff. I have to confess I like it.

It must be a regional thing - I have not been able to find either lemon sherbert or lemon sorbet in North Texas or Tulsa, Oklahoma.
    I'd offer to ship you some, but I don't think that would work very well...

Yep, I think the Feds might have something to say about strange bags of powder being mailed. 8)

Sherbert Shipping Service?

Actually, that is possible but not practical. You'd have to ship it via UPS or FedEx packed in dry ice. Dry ice, however, is considered to be a dangerous good which drives the shipping cost up.

I may just have to break down and go to one of the upper-crust markets here in town - Central Market or Whole Foods.

If that doesn't pan out, I could always make my own. There's enough recipes on the internet to experiment with - yep, that's next on my list to do along with brewing my own lethal beer.

Sherbert...is that Dilbert's girlfriend? ops:

Sherbet is for wimps! (or sherbert if you prefer).

Just kidding, I'm an ice cream addict and I think of sherbet as ice cream-lite...sorbet is too watery, but functions well as a palate cleanser.

I don't think I've seen lemon sherbet in the stores in Houston and I know the freezer section well. Blue Bell does have a seasonal flavor, "Key Lime Pie" that is tangy and has bits of graham cracker in it--a refreshing summer ice cream that's sherbet-like. It sells in Florida too.

You can probably make it easy at home--just sugar, milk, eggs and lemon juice. Or you can try this yucky-sounding vegan recipe:

Vegan Lemon Sherbet
    1 package mori-nu soft silken tofu
    1 cup vanilla soy milk
    1/2 cup oil
    1 cup washed raw cane sugar
    1 Tablespoon lemon extract
    3 Tablespoons lemon juice (concentrated) (you can add more if you like lots of lemon)
    dash of salt

No thanks, I'll take the unborn chickens over tofu.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendl
    Sherbet is for wimps! (or sherbert if you prefer).

Just kidding, I'm an ice cream addict and I think of sherbet as ice cream-lite...sorbet is too watery, but functions well as a palate cleanser.

I don't think I've seen lemon sherbet in the stores in Houston and I know the freezer section well. Blue Bell does have a seasonal flavor, "Key Lime Pie" that is tangy and has bits of graham cracker in it--a refreshing summer ice cream that's sherbet-like. It sells in Florida too.

You can probably make it easy at home--just sugar, milk, eggs and lemon juice. Or you can try this yucky-sounding vegan recipe:

Vegan Lemon Sherbet
    1 package mori-nu soft silken tofu
    1 cup vanilla soy milk
    1/2 cup oil
    1 cup washed raw cane sugar
    1 Tablespoon lemon extract
    3 Tablespoons lemon juice (concentrated) (you can add more if you like lots of lemon)
    dash of salt

No thanks, I'll take the unborn chickens over tofu.
    Soy milk and tofu? Bleeh #-o

No way.

[Homer]Mmmmm... Blue Bell...... [/Homer]

I may be years removed from Houston, but, Grendl, you just activated a Pavlovian reflex!

Quote Originally Posted by Grendl
    sorbet is too watery, but functions well as a palate cleanser.
    LOL, I have to agree, especially when not made properly. The first time I made Long Island Iced Tea sorbet, was a total adventure. First step involved boiling an amount of the various alcohols (I quickly learned making this concoction first thing in the morning is not a good idea, as the fumes pack a wallop). Second lesson I learned: if not boiled long enough, one ends up with Long Island slushes instead of sorbet. Learning is half the fun. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by sts60
    [Homer]Mmmmm... Blue Bell...... [/Homer]

I may be years removed from Houston, but, Grendl, you just activated a Pavlovian reflex!
    Sts60,

This is off the subject of sherbet, but my addiction to Blue Bell is no light matter. I've lost a noticeable amount of weight and that's due in large part to my not buying 1/2 gallons of Blue Bell. If I don't buy it, I won't eat it. But Blue Bell has seasonal flavors (see their website) and Mocha Almond Fudge is my absolute favorite flavor and it emerges every January/February and then is gone for the year. Needless to say, I've justified scarfing down several 1/2 gallons recently since it will soon be gone. I know I'm an addict, because in the last several months I'd pass by the freezer section looking at the new flavors with a wistful expression on my face. I just go by the freezer to see what's there. Isn't that pathetic? When my parents visited last year I took them to the Blue Bell factory after admiring the beautiful Hill Country.

They've expanded into Florida, so when I'm in Vero Beach I can get it there--no escape for me. They also ship it, but it's pricey. $89 for four 1/2 gallons--though shipped FedEx same day delivery. They're always coming out with new flavors and interesting combinations: see this link http://bluebell.com/icecream_new.htm The thing with Blue Bell is that's it's good, clean ice cream, not overly sweet, which is why it's so easy to eat lots of it in one sitting.

They sell in 15 states, sts60, so they could be coming near you. They're expanding into Phoenix: http://bluebell.com/whatsnew.htm

Tmosher, maybe you should try their lime sherbet: http://bluebell.com/icecream_sherbet.htm

LOl, Parrothead.

OK, it's obvious I'm obsessed with ice cream and will go back to my Lurker's Hovel.

Side note about Blue Bell - they now advertise that they're still a half-gallon container while many other brands have gone to a 1.75 quart container (sneaky buggers - doing the same thing they did with coffee, yogurt, etc - reduce the size but keep the same price as if we wouldn't notice).

As for lime sherbert, I'm not a fan of that flavor. The only other flavor of sherbert I like other than lemon is raspberry.

Side note about Blue Bell - they now advertise that they're still a half-gallon container while many other brands have gone to a 1.75 quart container (sneaky buggers - doing the same thing they did with coffee, yogurt, etc - reduce the size but keep the same price as if we wouldn't notice).
    Good point, I noticed those "Still a 1/2 Gallon!" blurbs on the new containers. Yeah, I remember when Dannon yogurt containers were larger in the 70's. Girl Scout cookies have shrunk too, but not the price.
    Blue Bell rules!

I'll check on the next visit for sherbet specifically, but I know the H.E.B. here carries the Edy's Lemon Sorbet Grey mentioned. And, yes, their raspberry is phenomenal. *drool*

Ahhh.

Sorry, I was halfway through the thread, and thoroughly confused, before I figured out you're all talking about Lemon Sorbet, the frozen dessert, not Sherbert Lemons, the boiled sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine
    .... And, yes, their raspberry is phenomenal. *drool*
    Edy's raspberry sorbet....yum. Not a big icecream fan myself, but that raspberry sorbet is the best.

I suddenly feel privileged. Here in Wisconsin (actually part of the Twin Citeis Metro) we have access to orange, lemon, lime, and raspberry sherbert without going to the high falutin' grocers. They probably have even more varieties. There's also the Schwan's delivery people with their individual portion cups of Lemon and Cherry.

We also have a Donvier ice cream maker and have made sherbert and ice cream using the local wild raspberries one and our domesticated (?) strawberries. All berry, berry good.