Thread: It is with Great Sadness....(Johnny Carson passes away)

It is with Great Sadness....(Johnny Carson passes away)

Ladies and gentlemen, it is with great sadness that I announce that
    the Great Karnak has opened his last envelope

RIP Johnny Carson, age 79

edited for clarity

How great was he?

Seriously...

I grew up watching Johnny...

He'll be missed. Did you know that he was an avid amateur astronomer?

I loved his "Carl Sagan"...billions and billions.

Re: It is with Great Sadness....

Carson:

Next envelope. (holds envelope to forehead) The Answer is...
    Ed McMahon:

The Answer is...
    (withering look from Johnny while turban almost falls off)

Carson :

UCLA
    McMahon:

U...C...L...A!
    (double take followed by withering look from Carson)

Carson (having ripped open one end of the envelope, puffed into it to expand it, and removed the card inside):

What do you do on a clear day in Southern California?
    (groans in audience and from McMahon)

So long, Johnny, we knew ye well. Thanks for all the laughs we watched between our feet!

Link.

Well, nuts.

I liked Johnny, I really did. He did more for astronomy than most scientists... by having Carl Sagan on his show so many times, he inspired an entire generation of kids to become astronomers, including me. He also had James Randi on numerous times; it was the first time I had ever seen him. That was crucial to my becoming a skeptic and critical thinker.

Nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by beskeptical
    I couldn't agree more beskeptical. I loved his show and there was nobody better at it. He will be greatly missed.

Johnny Carson was and always will be the Tonight Show. Those who came before and after are just poor imitations of the master.

Since the Tonight Show was turned over to Jay Leno, I have watched it maybe once or twice. It's just not the same.

It will be interesting to see how Leno and Letterman treat his passing.

I have a recording of Bette Midler singing One For My Baby playing right now. The song had been recorded live during Carson's last appearance as host of The Tonight Show. Thanks for the many laughs and memories, Johnny! R.I.P.

What a loss to us all. Johnny was a very generous man, relatively rare in Hollywood. Generous professionally, he gave many aspiring artists and performers an opportunity. It wasn't just about Johnny.

His show was my introduction to Randi also, that alone was worth the trip. And who can ever forget Ed Ames now?

As to Leno and Lettermen, I think both will be quite respectful and genuine. Johnny gave them both huge career boosts. Letterman's beef is with Leno and the NBC brass, not Johnny.

Thanks, Johnny.

Jane Fonda on Johnny Carson
    Jane Fonda: I gotta ask you something.
    Johnny Carson: Sure.
    Jane Fonda: Last night, my son . . . you know, you were talking about Zsa Zsa Gabor earlier . . .
    Johnny Carson: Yeah, I think everyone's talking about her.
    Jane Fonda: My son said . . . "You know, she was on the Johnny Carson Show one time. She came there with a cat on her lap, and she said to you, 'Do you want to pet my pussy?'"
    [Audience laughter.]
    Jane Fonda: And my son said that you said, uh, "I'd love to if you'd remove that damn cat!"
    [Prolonged laughter and applause.]
    Jane Fonda: Is it true?
    Johnny Carson: [Shaking head] I . . . I tell you, I . . .
    Jane Fonda: Is it true?
    Johnny Carson: No, I think I would recall that.
    - Zsa Zsa Gabor on Carson, 1989 - according to Urban Legends on Snopes.

I would be very curious to know whether Mr Carson ever lurked here...

It's well known he was a dedicated supporter of the JREF and its mission, and those in the know have confirmed that he lurked there more than once.

On that basis, I find it difficult to believe he was unaware of the existence of this board and its associated website. I was somewhat surprised to learn of his interest in astronomy, and the first thing that popped into my mind was that he'd have really enjoyed the various goings-on around here.

Guess we'll never know now, though...

His like will never pass our way again.

RIP Mr. Carson, you'll be missed.

Favourite Carson moment:

Johnny (Reading a letter): "'Dear Johhny, I'm a devoted fan and I love you. What do you wear to bed?' Ummm...ah....Crotchless leisure suits."

Chalk up another one who's first experiences with late night television started with him. Genuine wit and a LOT of class. The fact that after he retired he actually, honestly and truly retired was part of that. He left on top of his game and didn't take any risks tarnishing that image by some half hearted attempt at a comeback. He wrote his legacy and left it to stand on its own two feet. It hasn't been equalled.

I think Jay Leno was a worthwhile successor. He can be a goofball, but anyone who looks a little deeper will be surprised. He's got a real passion for classic and historical cars and has some real gems in his collection that are truly pieces of American history, rather than a one night per week set of skirt magnets. He may not be the subtle wit that Johnny was, but in a way, I can appreciate the fact that he hasn't tried. It makes all those years with Carson that much more unique.

RIP Johnny...late night TV hasn't been the same since you left.

My favorite Carson momment:

(Eddie Murphy comes to sit down wearing an all leather suit.)

Johnny: Eddie, is that water it looks like...all leather.

Eddie: Yeah, looks good doesn't it...we should get one for you and Ed.

Johnny: now there's no reason to go an Elephant just for Ed.

Johnny was actually at his BEST when one of his monologue jokes would BOMB. He'd give the camera that "long faced" look for a moment, the band would start to play "tea for two", and Johnny would do his "soft shoe" dance.

My favorite Carson moment was every one he spent with that turban on his head, trying to keep a straight face while delivering the answers to the questions in the envelopes. No late night host since has been anywhere nearly so good.

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F.
    Johnny was actually at his BEST when one of his monologue jokes would BOMB.
    He once did a joke about Abraham Lincoln and the punch line was greeted with absolute silence. He turned to Ed and said, "They still haven't gotten over it." Even to the last he contributed jokes to the tonight show because he couldn't stand letting funny material go to waste.

He was a funny man and he helped a lot of good people!! He will be missed.

Johnny, wherever you are, may our loss serve to enrich those around you wherever you may be.

"Billions" wouldn't be much without Johnny. Ya gotta have 'em if your gonna talk astronomy.

Best wishes to all his family and friends.

Thanks BA for your nice touch.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

[quote="Lurker"]
    Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F.
    Even to the last he contributed jokes to the tonight show because he couldn't stand letting funny material go to waste.

He actually contributed to dave letterman's Late Show, not to the Tonight Show. He was always a great fan of Letterman's, as dave was of him.

Dave would do a little, half-golf swing move whenever he used one of Johnny's jokes. . . No one but Johnny got the significance of the move.

Re: It is with Great Sadness....

[quote="Wally"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker
    [edit]He actually contributed to dave letterman's Late Show, not to the Tonight Show. He was always a great fan of Letterman's, as dave was of him.

Dave would do a little, half-golf swing move whenever he used one of Johnny's jokes. . . No one but Johnny got the significance of the move.
    Well, no one but Johnny and perhaps one other person... :wink:

I watched Jay Leno Monday night, and they payed a very nice tribute to Johnny. Meanwhile Letterman was a re-run.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie in Dayton
    I would be very curious to know whether Mr Carson ever lurked here....
    Good question!

My gut feeling says, Yes! Think about his love of astronomy! I always got a kick watching him and Carl Sagan chatting about astronomy.

“Billions and billions!”

Quote Originally Posted by NASA Fan
    I watched Jay Leno Monday night, and they payed a very nice tribute to Johnny. Meanwhile Letterman was a re-run.
    I heard somewhere that Letterman still plans some kind of recognition/tribute to Johnny when he returns next Monday.