Thread: This weeks mass shooting, Moncton New Brunswick

This weeks mass shooting, Moncton New Brunswick

Last night a gunman shoot 5 RCMP resulting in 3 dead and 2 wounded. I don't understand what goes through peoples head that leads them to do something like this. The city is on the other side of the province and I hope no one else gets hurt during this.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ideo-1.2665650
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

I have family in that area.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

I know a bunch of people from that area too.

Impotent losers with "something to prove." Only THEY have been wronged, etc. Make others "pay" for their failures.

Very disturbing that it's "every week" now (it seems). And also that this isn't news at U.S. Yahoo; I guess the Kardashians are more important! *puke*

I just come here and shoot my mouth here.

I notice how often phrases such as "who is the man, now" and "go alpha male on them" or similar seem common to many such incidents. If only young men would learn that real strength is the integrity to assume responsibility in life and carry weight without complaint, and whenever possible, more than your own share.

I remember a scene in the Magnificent 7 when Charles Bronson tells his adoring young fans that it is their fathers who are the true heroes. We need a lot more like that being said, more often.
    For each man, according to the measure of his intelligence, must speak what he can speak, and do what he can do. - Alfred, King of Wessex
    Calm down, have some dip. -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    I notice how often phrases such as "who is the man, now" and "go alpha male on them" or similar seem common to many such incidents. If only young men would learn that real strength is the integrity to assume responsibility in life and carry weight without complaint, and whenever possible, more than your own share.
    That's just as dangerous. If you tell someone to take responsibility for changing their life and that person concludes that other people are responsible for their problems, that statement allows them the latitude to remove the offending people. That's not an aberration, it's what we celebrate every July 4th in the US.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Sadly, Yet Another Mass Shooting this one in my neck of the woods: http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/...tims-reported/ I suppose we can say it's 'lucky' no fatalities reported, at least not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    That's just as dangerous. If you tell someone to take responsibility for changing their life and that person concludes that other people are responsible for their problems, that statement allows them the latitude to remove the offending people. That's not an aberration, it's what we celebrate every July 4th in the US.
    I think a huge part in taking responsibility in life as Hlaf is referring to is is taking responsibility for the effect you have on others around you even indirectly. In a socially responsible sense that means that if you're unhappy or dissatisfied with something you find a meaningful way to bring about change, not resort to pointless and destructive acts that leave everyone feeling less.

It's about building something real instead of holding on to a sick delusion which is kind of what the Magnificent 7 reference deals with. I also really liked that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    No, it isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    I think a huge part in taking responsibility in life as Hlaf is referring to is is taking responsibility for the effect you have on others around you even indirectly. In a socially responsible sense that means that if you're unhappy or dissatisfied with something you find a meaningful way to bring about change, not resort to pointless and destructive acts that leave everyone feeling less.
    While there is something to be said about the personal life and level of responsibility of the perpetrators there is an important question rarely asked by Americans: Why is this almost exculsively a US phenonmenon?
    There are unhappy and derranged people all over the planet but it very rarely happens anywhere but the US.
    Why?

It is clearly a cultural phenomenon. US culture is sick and disturbed to the bone. Unless that changes these kind of sad acts will continue and probably increase in frequency as well.

ETA:
    I realize of course that this particular shooting was on Candadian soil but the culture and especially the gun laws are very similar.
    Last edited by NoChoice; 2014-Jun-06 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChoice View Post
    While there is something to be said about the personal life and level of responsibility of the perpetrators there is an important question rarely asked by Americans: Why is this almost exculsively a US phenonmenon?
    There are unhappy and derranged people all over the planet but it very rarely happens anywhere but the US.
    Why?

It is clearly a cultural phenomenon. US culture is sick and disturbed to the bone. Unless that changes these kind of sad acts will continue and probably increase in frequency as well.

ETA:
    I realize of course that this particular shooting was on Candadian soil but the culture and especially the gun laws are very similar.
    Anti-social behaviour has been and probably will be a part of the human experience as long as we're still human, I don't think this is a uniquely American problem. The nation is founded on a level of individual independence that goes beyond most other nations which may explain why violence is often acted out in such a fashion, but as I said this aspect of humanity while often condemned has never really been eliminated.

That still doesn't remove personal responsibility though, if the majority want to live in as stable and healthy social conditions as possible then it does require taking individual action that creates respect for life, not the opposite.
    Last edited by starcanuck64; 2014-Jun-06 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    Anti-social behaviour has been and probably will be a part of the human experience as long as we're still human, I don't think this is a uniquely American problem.
    You are absolutely right and I didn't say that anti-social behavior was a uniquely American problem.
    What I said was that while anti-social behavior occurs everywhere mass-shootings and people running amok in this kind of sad way seems to be an almost exculsively American phenomenon.

I can't see how this thread can stay clear of our no politics rule. I'm closing it, at least temporarily, for moderator discussion.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules