Thread: Major "bug skills or superpowers"?

Major "bug skills or superpowers"?

Instant healing (such as Cell and Ubu in Dragonball) is certainly a major "bug", in which one can almost sacrifice the whole body and come back again.
    Eye laser is often considered another "bug", in which a paralyzed opponent can still kill or maim as long as s/he is in front.
    I guess there are way more "bugs" than these two.
    The fact is: I haven't watched many shows/movies nor read novels for years.

Electricity from fingers is doable if you have a good carpet.

Weapons or energy discharges strong enough to vaporize people or vehicles is almost always a bug. In the Rift's RPG, they have two types of weapons - SDC which are like bullets and axes and MDC which are like the cannons on a battleship or bigger. The funny thing is, the rule assume that MDC weapons are just as man portable as a pistol. Every battle ends up outside, on a peice of terrian that looks like the moon. Basically, they play it straight with insane firepower.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Triangles are my favorite shape
    "Three points where two lines meet"
    Tessellate, Alt-J

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe
    Weapons or energy discharges strong enough to vaporize people or vehicles is almost always a bug. In the Rift's RPG, they have two types of weapons - SDC which are like bullets and axes and MDC which are like the cannons on a battleship or bigger. The funny thing is, the rule assume that MDC weapons are just as man portable as a pistol. Every battle ends up outside, on a peice of terrian that looks like the moon. Basically, they play it straight with insane firepower.
    A pistol or the Thor's Hammer energy cannon of Iserlohn fortress (OK, a space fortress in Legend of Galactic Heroes, which is capable of destroying 1000 war spaceships in a single shoot) are equally man portable? This is a huge bug there.

I'm still not sure what you mean by "bug" powers. Can you be more specific?
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I'm still not sure what you mean by "bug" powers. Can you be more specific?
    When I was a kid I could annoy my little sister just by looking at her. Now that was a major "bug" power.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

"Still not touching you."

Quote Originally Posted by Inclusa View Post
    A pistol or the Thor's Hammer energy cannon of Iserlohn fortress (OK, a space fortress in Legend of Galactic Heroes, which is capable of destroying 1000 war spaceships in a single shoot) are equally man portable? This is a huge bug there.
    Nothing quiet that powerful, but darn close. The fact that the rules and game designers play it strait - "You just leveled the town you were trying to protect" is an expected outcome. The bug is in the fact that you can shoot through any normal item and vaporize it. Why don't the heroes get set on fire by the flash alone?

They do have a weapon that can kill simply by being close to the path of the projectile. The suit that it is mounted on drives pilings into the ground and fires jets at the point of firing to keep itself up right.

As far as bug powers, I would imagine "bug" means that someone didn't think it out very well. The guy in Heroes who can make some sort of implosion or perhaps a small black hole between his hands is one. However, the one time he uses the power, he dies.

The guys in Star Trek: TNG who can shock people on contact is another. If they don't shock themselves (electric eels shock themselves so they can shock each other and do), then why can they shock each other? The Terrible Twos must be a plague on that planet if children have that power.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tessellate, Alt-J

Most superpowers involve violations of either thermodynamics, conservation of energy, or both. Blasts of lightning from no energy source? I was once 30 yards away from a lightning bolt and it almost killed me. Black Lightning should at the very least be deafened by his own powers even if his hands are immune to the heat.
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername
    Most superpowers involve violations of either thermodynamics, conservation of energy, or both. Blasts of lightning from no energy source? I was once 30 yards away from a lightning bolt and it almost killed me. Black Lightning should at the very least be deafened by his own powers even if his hands are immune to the heat.
    This would render most fantasies buggy.
    Have anyone thought of the origin of power in the Harry Potter series? Even though Buu in Dragonball may finish the strongest Harry Potter characters in miniseconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Inclusa View Post
    This would render most fantasies buggy.
    Well, yes, magic is magical. Magic need not be constrained by physical laws unless the author specifically decides to make it so. That's kind of what defines it as Fantasy. It's a feature there, not a bug.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2014-Apr-19 at 07:59 AM.

Oh, and inertia and momentum bugs. The Hulk throwing a tank? He would wind up driven into the ground by the tank's weight unless standing on some very solid, very hard rock that could take dozens of tons concentrated onto the size of two large feet. Most of the time, he is shown standing on ordinary soil.

Now, Superman is a different story; he can fly* at near lightspeed** so he has plenty of lifting power and doesn't even need to touch the ground; he has been shown carrying things much heavier than tanks while flying.

* Assuming the flight method is consistent with the DC comic's laws of physics, this may not be a bug; after all, they have all sorts of telekinetics so self-levitation is pretty common there. If you can accept that psychics exist there, you can take flight as just a convention of the genre, YMMV.

** Itself a bug, since the energy required to put him at that speed --and back-- is far more than he could have absorbed from yellow Sun output in a man-sized collection surface in one lifetime. The waste heat alone should make him glow like a white dwarf.

Inclusa, you might want to check out the Required Secondary Powers page on TV Tropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...econdaryPowers

It addresses common "bugs" in super powers and the "fixes" needed to make them workable.

Warning, it's TV Tropes, more addictive than crack, heroin, alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.

The Paranoia game lives by this trope. Specifically, the game master is to hand out super powers and weapons like candy and the characters have to decided how rigged the item is. They have a couple of lives to figure it out. Usually the violation of X can be used to actually solve problems.

My personal favorite is rocket boots that work perfectly, but requires the character to have a particular skill to land. Exactly how does one develop that skill in the field with no training.

There is a module (scenario) that has the characters in a super sonic subway with seats facing in four different directions. Everyone except the characters are aware that it is safest to sit facing the acceleration and buckling in at that point is optional. So the characters are presented with a situation where no one dons safety gear, instead opting for this insane musical chairs at every stop.
    Solfe

Tessellate, Alt-J

Iceman makes it cold. How? Where does the heat go? And he supposedly condenses his ice out of moisture in the air. But even 100% humidity isn't enough to account for some of the massive structures he makes.

Iceman makes it cold. How? Where does the heat go? And he supposedly condenses his ice out of moisture in the air. But even 100% humidity isn't enough to account for some of the massive structures he makes.
    Does that really bother you? Because if so, why limit yourself to Iceman? Where does Storm get the energy to create swarms of tornadoes? Lightning? Where does Magneto get the energy to toss cars around like a toy ball?

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Does that really bother you? Because if so, why limit yourself to Iceman? Where does Storm get the energy to create swarms of tornadoes? Lightning? Where does Magneto get the energy to toss cars around like a toy ball?
    Storm uses the energy already present in weather patterns. Magneto has a link to the Earth's magnetic field.

Storm uses the energy already present in weather patterns. Magneto has a link to the Earth's magnetic field.
    If those explanations fly, what about, "Iceman uses water vapor in the air from spaces other than, and including, the one that he is in. The heat is projected into outer space, via a sub-space portal"?

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    If those explanations fly, what about, "Iceman uses water vapor in the air from spaces other than, and including, the one that he is in. The heat is projected into outer space, via a sub-space portal"?
    If those explanations were canon in the Marvel universe, I'd run with it, sure. But they aren't. The official line is that he creates cold by lowering his body temperature with his hypothalamus (!!) and that he condenses water from the air to form ice.