Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titan Flyby B

Titan Flyby B

At this time it was 9 min an counting!!!!

Any word yet?

Data transmission expected soon. Happened 4:46 am pst.

Hehehe! So many goodies, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisM
    Data transmission expected soon. Happened 4:46 am pst.
    We've to wait another 12 hours, transmission will begin 14. December 0:00 UTC

I was reading the Flyby-B timeline (see page 5 of this link) on the NASA/JPL site, and I noticed that a Dione closest approach is not targeted, because of the Titan data playback. Although the approach is not that "close", ~72.5 km, compared to others in the future, I would think any opportunity should not be wasted.

~72.5 km
    Actually, I would call that a reasonably close flyby!!!! :wink: 8-[

Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by badprof
    ~72.5 km
    Actually, I would call that a reasonably close flyby!!!! :wink: 8-[

Maurice
    Of course, that's actually 72.5 thousand kilometers.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by tlbs101
    I was reading the Flyby-B timeline (see page 5 of this link) on the NASA/JPL site, and I noticed that a Dione closest approach is not targeted, because of the Titan data playback. Although the approach is not that "close", ~72.5 km, compared to others in the future, I would think any opportunity should not be wasted.
    I understood that "non-targeted" means that Cassini was not targeted to fly by Dione as it was with Titan. Besides the Dione flyby happens 2:52 AM Wednesday groud UTC time and Titan data playback stops 9:00 AM ground UTC Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by tlbs101
    As someone else alluded to, a "non-targeted" encounter simply means that Cassini will not perform a propulsive maneuver to alter the flyby distance. In fact, Cassini will perform observations of Dione following Tb.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBlackwell
    As someone else alluded to, a "non-targeted" encounter simply means that Cassini will not perform a propulsive maneuver to alter the flyby distance. In fact, Cassini will perform observations of Dione following Tb.
    Here's a good depiction of the Dione non-targeted flyby.

Planned image coverage - Titan

Pretty much same area as in the Titan-A flyby.

Planned image coverage - Dione

Highest-resolution imaging is targeted to the mysterious whispy area.

Anything planned for Helene?

Is there going to be a live webcast like there was for Titan-a?

Maybe I'm impatient, but where are the pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by um3k
    I feel your pain! :wink:

too many probes... must pace myself...

You are impatient, um3K. Data have been hitting the ground only for the last couple of hours. Note that the UVIS stellar occultation data of Titan's atmosphere have priority in this downlik since they are critical for the Huygens Probe mission. However, from what I've been told, the first imagery (low resolution wide-angle camera data) has been received. Stay tuned.

No, especially since the Tb flyby has already happened.

Playback delays

The Planetary Society has an excellent rundown of the Titan and Dione encounters. (The Planetary Society site often has better-organized and more in-depth information about these missions than NASA provides. Their whole Saturn exploration section is superb.)

You can see from the timeline there that playback of Titan-B encounter data has only just begun now, and won't be finished until the wee hours of the morning. And I think the data transmission is supposed to begin with the UVIS star occultation data, because that's considered critical for mission planning (for the information it gives about Titan's atmosphere). So don't expect pictures immediately.

Cassini is unlike, say, Voyager 1 and 2 in that it has no movable scan platform with the imaging instruments; the whole craft has to turn to point them. Also, it uses its big dish for radar mapping as well as for communication. All that means that it has to do most of its science while the dish is pointed away from Earth, so it stores the data in its internal memory and then points toward Earth to send it home. That typically adds a delay of hours after an encounter before it can call home, and then of course there's the 1-hour-plus light travel delay.

No, especially since the Tb flyby has already happened.
    No Gay Yee this time - got bumped by "This Is Your Life, Sean O'Keefe." "Titan FlyBy? Isn't that a rerun?"

Speaking as one who has stayed up late to see the downlinks live on NASATV, I thought that this flyby would be covered live as well. But there is a LOT going on right now, what with Deep Impact's launch, Sean retiring, MER successes, Shuttle return to flight and the Space Station going on a diet.

Speaking emotionally, some of us feel very personally attached to these probes and are anxious to have access to their data. Much of the public* are invested in these missions, especially when they take so long to reach their goals. (I remember Cassini when it was just a pup in a clean room!) It's a testament to the sucess of NASA's outreach that we just expect real time or near real time updates nowadays.

Howver, I do realize this is NASA, not ESPN, and expecting a live feed from the DSN to the website is a bit much.

They gotta cover the Huygens probe descent on NASA TV live, though, they just gotta....(Or would that be on ESA-TV?)

* I guess I should say SOME of the public, since my wife cannot fathom my preoocupation with the MER images - "What? Another rock?"

BTW, welcome to the BABB, AlexBlackwell - I appreciate your good deeds over at http://mer.rlproject.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lyford
    BTW, welcome to the BABB, AlexBlackwell - I appreciate your good deeds over at http://mer.rlproject.com/
    Thanks, lyford. That's always nice to hear ;-)

BTW, some early imagery from the Tb flyby is now being displayed on the JPL Cassini/Huygens website.

Cassini Successfully Completes Titan Flyby

Cassini Successfully Completes Titan Flyby
    Jet Propulsion Laboratory
    December 13, 2004

Re: Cassini Successfully Completes Titan Flyby

Additional images may be viewed at CICLOPS here. Thank you, Carolyn Porco and the rest of the imaging team!

Re: Titan Flyby B

[edit]Speaking emotionally, some of us feel very personally attached to these probes and are anxious to have access to their data. Much of the public* are invested in these missions, especially when they take so long to reach their goals. (I remember Cassini when it was just a pup in a clean room!) It's a testament to the sucess of NASA's outreach that we just expect real time or near real time updates nowadays...
    Heck, I remember Cassini's RTGs when they were just a preliminary design specification.

You're right about the personal attachment.

BTW, some early imagery from the Tb flyby is now being displayed on the JPL Cassini/Huygens website.
    And here I was hitting refresh every 30 seconds on the RAW image page.... just like the one arm bandits in Vegas... I think I have a problem :wink:

Shoulda been watching the press releases. Oh well, they are up on the Raw Image Archivve now as well.

Guess I went to bed too early this time!

Thanks - Maksutov for the CICLOPS link. I can never tell who is going to get the pics first.

Worth the wait? SWEET FANCY MOSES!

Tthis is Titan's atmosphere - does anyone know if that eclipsy effect is natural, or does Cassini "block out" the moon in optics?

does anyone know if that eclipsy effect is natural, or does Cassini "block out" the moon in optics?
    Cassini really went "behind" Titan. The ring is typical for an eclipse by a body with an atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by kucharek
    does anyone know if that eclipsy effect is natural, or does Cassini "block out" the moon in optics?
    Cassini really went "behind" Titan. The ring is typical for an eclipse by a body with an atmosphere.
    Yes, I figured as much - that's a lot of smog!

Dione
    Dione

Nice straight scratch on the second image. Woo-woo fodder.

Bye Bye Dione!

Hello Iapetus!

Quite a bit of space out there!

Dione in front of Saturn!

This one is quite alien-looking (part of a Saturn mosaic)