Thread: How are you improving yourself this year?

How are you improving yourself this year?

What do you want to do to make yourself a better person this year?

As someone who has lived as a shut in for the past decade and completely reliant upon others for survival, I'm tired of this going nowhere way of life and the world passing me by. So I plan on getting a driver's license as soon as possible. After that, I intend to get a passport. Those two items are the easiest to obtain, so they come first. Then I will get a GED and hopefully find a trade I want to pursue. I could go in for auto repair, welding, X-ray tech, or even cleaning up crime scenes. Whatever is interesting, slightly gross, and paying a decent wage is what I want to do. Then it's time to save money and hopefully explore the far corners of this mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

Good luck with that. Setting goals and talking about them makes them more real. Don't worry about a time schedule, just keep plugging away.

Me, losing weight and exercise. My doctor sent me to a YouTube video called 23 1/2 hours. Entertaining. Entered a biggest loser contest at work ($X to buy in, weigh in with the nurse, three months later anyone who has dropped 5% gets a share, another half share for each one percent. Rampant cheating. ) and I missed it by 1.2 ounces.

For me, it's mostly a matter of continuing the self-improvements I started over the last year or two. Aside from that, keep working on developing my writing and drawing skills, trying to lessen my social anxiety/phobia, maybe get a job (hopefully one that meshes somewhat with my needs, skills and interests, as opposed to all the jobs I've had before) and work on my face-to-face communication skills. Also the usual lose weight and exercise.

Long term, to get published and/or start a website for my writing and comics. But that may take more than a year, so it's not a resolution.
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

I'm doing crossfit to get back into shape and lose some weight. I had a terrible year with my asthma last year after having pneumonia and then later, a flu, my lungs never recovered. so now im better and have entered a short contest to get my self motivated.
    also pursuing side businesses to help my retirement fund.

I've decided it's high time I reconnected with old friends and acquaintances I've lost contact with over the years. I had a nice conversation with an old friend I hadn't talked with in a few years the other day, I've updated my LinkedIn profile, and sent a couple emails to other folks I haven't been in contact with for a while.

My wife and I are finally getting our retirement planning in order as well. We're 40 somethings so it's a bit late, but there's still time to build up our nest egg.

I'm trying to catch up on a lot of household paperwork that's been neglected for the past couple of years. Ironically, I did a little better at it after getting injured while I was at home but still not mobile. Once I started getting back to normal, the paperwork went downhill again.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

1. Accepting the serious personal setbacks of the past 4 years. Reality stinks, but there it is.
    2. Keeping on with trying to become a published author (hopefully within the year).