Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I can haz pet story thread?

I can haz pet story thread?

Since we are discouraged of putting pet stories in the Amuses/Bugs threads, I was thinking of starting a thread for them, because I for one always like reading about other people's pets.

Last night, I woke up and was thirsty. Sadly, my stirring woke up the cat sleeping in my bed, and before I could turn around he had already walked across the bed, was standing with two legs on the bedside table, and was lapping up the water from the glass I had put there in the evening.
    When I got up to fetch fresh water, I made sure to refill his water bowl in the kitchen...

That's why I have capped bottle next to my bed, because Merlin will only drink from either a "human" water glass or the drooly dog water bowls. I sometimes feel like a fool always keeping fresh water in his actual bowl. Yes, I've tried various bowl shapes and materials....

Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    Last night, I woke up and was thirsty. Sadly, my stirring woke up the cat sleeping in my bed, and before I could turn around he had already walked across the bed, was standing with two legs on the bedside table, and was lapping up the water from the glass I had put there in the evening.
    I hate to break it to you, but your cat had been doing that off and on all night while you slept.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but your cat had been doing that off and on all night while you slept.
    Not necessarily. My two can sleep the night away without moving at all. But generally, yeah - what cats do at night when not sleeping is known only to them.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Not necessarily. My two can sleep the night away without moving at all. But generally, yeah - what cats do at night when not sleeping is known only to them.
    Unless you step in it...

Quote Originally Posted by Marakai View Post
    That's why I have capped bottle next to my bed, because Merlin will only drink from either a "human" water glass or the drooly dog water bowls. I sometimes feel like a fool always keeping fresh water in his actual bowl. Yes, I've tried various bowl shapes and materials....
    That was confusing. My cat is also called Merlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Yep. My cat will ALWAYS try to get at our water, though she's got plenty of her own.

And for Christmas, my husband bought her a $30 battery-powdered swishy toy which most cats would probably pounce all over.

Not her.

My wife always puts a glass of water on her night stand and the cats drink from it every night. If she puts something on top of the glass the cats just knock the whole glass over. I put a capped bottle of water on my night stand. I don't know why she doesn't do the same.

My cats won't drink water out of a dish. They will only drink it from a sink bowl or a glass. We were putting water in the bathroom sink for them to drink at night, but they just play with it and splash it everywhere and then drink my wife's water.

Getting back to you, jokergirl, you can be pretty sure that your cat is probably drinking from your glass every night.
    Last edited by primummobile; 2014-Jan-09 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    My two can sleep the night away without moving at all.
    *grin* You assume that moving is a prerequisite.

Unless you step in it...
    Reminds me of how I found out our old cat, Samantha, was a mouser - when she was about 6 months old I stepped on a third of a mouse she had left in the middle of the living room overnight.

Our cat Maki loves playing with water. She drinks out of the water bowl, but she also likes playing in it. And very often when I go in the main bathroom she will follow me in, hoping I'm going to use the sink so she can watch and play with the water. But she still hates to actually get water splashed on her.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

We have to keep a bowl of water in the bathtub for the kitties. My wife sings "Cool Water" for them when refilling it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yes, he will drink the water of we fill the glass high enough so he can reach it with his snout. We usually avoid doing that, but it was the first day back from the catsitter and we slipped.

I heard the theory that cats might learn not to drink where they eat if they grow up outside. Switching the position of the water bowl definitely made my previous cat stop ignoring it. Merlin has no problem drinking from wherever, though.

We also keep the cats' water dish in the downstairs bath tub but they don't drink much out of it. Instead, they favor another source. I don't remember how the practice came about but in the evenings, The Wife® turns on the tub faucet to a drip. Jack likes to lick the faucet and will do so for pretty long stretches. This is an older fixture on which the shower control is a ring around the water output...and it makes a click, click, click noise for as long as Jack feels thirsty. His sister Abigail, however, is a snorkeler. She likes to lap the water up where it drips on the tub. As a result, she often jumps in my lap with a serious case of wet head.

Our dog Kroger is known as "Faucet Face." He drinks only from his bowl in the laundry area but seems to leave half of his beverage on the floor on his way back into the living room.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2014-Jan-09 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Additional content
    Brett's the name. Peters Creek is the place.
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────
    My moderation comments will appear in this color.
    To report a post (even this one) to the moderation team, click the reporting icon in the lower-left corner of the post:
    Rules For Posting To This Board ► ◄ Forum FAQs ► ◄ Conspiracy Theory Advice ► ◄ Alternate Theory Advice

When I was in junior high I had a german shepherd named Jojo who developed a taste for paper mache. (Cream of wheat based paste.)

As it was already a bad cliché even in 1972 I had to tell my art teacher, Mr. Zimmer, with a hanging head and shuffling feet, that my dog ate my homework, for realies!

The "girls" were in the most adorable ying-yang configuration a little while ago. I should have taken a picture.

Now, however, it's treat time. We started out giving them some canned food at 9:30 years ago, but 9:30 has been coming earlier and earlier. It's now 6:13 and I can't stand the meowing any more.

That was confusing. My cat is also called Merlin.
    Merlin, Nemo, Cosmo, and Belle. Cats are like potato chips: you can never have just one!

And Satchel and Gretel (Airedales). And Amber, Blackie and Nero (chicken). And Nelson and Mollie (horses).

Merlin, Nemo, Cosmo, and Belle. Cats are like potato chips: you can never have just one!

And Satchel and Gretel (Airedales). And Amber, Blackie and Nero (chicken). And Nelson and Mollie (horses).
    And just how high is your toxoplasmosis antibody count?

Well, that's a relief... I thought you meant cats are like potato chips, they are flat, crunchy, and come in bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Reminds me of how I found out our old cat, Samantha, was a mouser - when she was about 6 months old I stepped on a third of a mouse she had left in the middle of the living room overnight.

Our cat Maki loves playing with water. She drinks out of the water bowl, but she also likes playing in it. And very often when I go in the main bathroom she will follow me in, hoping I'm going to use the sink so she can watch and play with the water. But she still hates to actually get water splashed on her.
    A friend of mine once had a cat that would eat almost an entire mouse but leave a remnant which the owner would describe as "the bean", usually on the bedroom floor overnight where the owner was at risk of stepping on it barefooted in the morning. I guessed that it was a kidney, but others have suggested the gall bladder as a possibility.

Cats, dogs, toddlers, they're all cute when they climb into bed with you.

Your "three inches across the carapace" soapbox crab on a late night walk about, not so much.

You wouldn't think a man my age could do a backflip from a horizontal position out of a sound sleep, but I sure as hell tried...

I would think most men would consider the potential for pain inherent in the combination of pincers and his dangly bits to be cause for alarm.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    A friend of mine once had a cat that would eat almost an entire mouse but leave a remnant which the owner would describe as "the bean", usually on the bedroom floor overnight where the owner was at risk of stepping on it barefooted in the morning. I guessed that it was a kidney, but others have suggested the gall bladder as a possibility.
    She left a hind quarter, so it was considerably more than "the bean" (I like that term). It did allow me to identify the remains as part of the rodent variety.

She did even better than that once (I know I've told this story before) - she once delivered a whole, live one, to our bed. I have to say that there are more pleasant ways to wake up than the sound of your wife screaming, at the top of her lungs "THERE'S A MOUSE IN THE BED!".

Samantha also once captured and killed a very small ribbon snake. My wife found it in the basement, neatly bitten in two, but otherwise intact. She left it for me to dispose of. I guess snakes aren't as tasty, nor much fun to play with once bitten in half.

Keep in mind, Samantha was completely an indoor cat, but I figured if the critter got in our house, it was fair game.

The last year of her life (she lived to be 16), there was a noticable increase in mouse activity in our house, and a particular jump after she passed. Our current two have not left nearly as much evidence of their mousing activity (I have seen Ginger walking around carrying a mouse, with Maki trailing behind her, looking for a piece of the action), but the mouse signs have dropped to low, background levels, so I assume they are taking care of things.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    I would think most men would consider the potential for pain inherent in the combination of pincers and his dangly bits to be cause for alarm.
    Try "pointy legs scuttling across your bare calves".

It was summer and I was sleeping under a light quilt, which he crawled under.

This resulted in the exact same response whenever one of Frogzilla's feeder crickets would escape and climb into bed with me.

Next week's discussion: Why am I still a bachelor?

Ugh, snakes. We went through a winter at our old house when one of the cats had apparently found where the garter snakes were hibernating. He'd bring two or three a day up to the back door, torpid but alive and un-injured. I had to take them back out and toss them in the woods. I am very glad we have indoor cats these days.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    And just how high is your toxoplasmosis antibody count?

Who cares? We don't have human offspring and never wanted any. Having had more than one conversation with a frustrated vet about some woman coming along and callously having her cat(s) put to sleep (not even up for adoption), because she wanted to have kids and was worried about TP, that is a topic that gets me foaming at the mouth. My "favourite" was the vet who told me about the one who brought her cats in while pregnant, but who had to go out to have a cigarette. That's why I could never be a vet - all that time to go through vet school, all those tuition bills - only to end up in jail for homicide...

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Well, that's a relief... I thought you meant cats are like potato chips, they are flat, crunchy, and come in bags.
    In Australia that applies to possums. Though rarely with the bag bit.

Speaking of things the cats (or dogs) drag in: the other night we had a male koala letting off a mating call right on front of our bedroom window. That got the *entire* household's attention, with various scurrying to either be let out or hiding under beds. Those guys are *loud*. And have some means claws on them. They'd be dragging the dog into the house, not the other way around.

Not quite the same a koala, but our cat Ginger loves watching the birds. One day she was sitting in one of the windows watching intently, and I looked to see what she was so interested in: it was a turkey walking through our yard. I told her that it was probably out of your league.

Since we are discouraged of putting pet stories in the Amuses/Bugs threads
    My apologies, as I know I was one of the main discouragers, if not the main one. I genuinely hope you'll get pleasure from this thread, and I won't interfere.

BTW I don't mind dog stories, it's the cat stories I can't stand!

In Australia that applies to possums. Though rarely with the bag bit.

Speaking of things the cats (or dogs) drag in: the other night we had a male koala letting off a mating call right on front of our bedroom window. That got the *entire* household's attention, with various scurrying to either be let out or hiding under beds. Those guys are *loud*. And have some means claws on them. They'd be dragging the dog into the house, not the other way around.
    Around here we call them "sail cats".

The first of which, back in the 70's, was named "Frisbee" and led to a planet-wide fad.