Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Captain Janeway goes geocentric?!

Captain Janeway goes geocentric?!

A new movie at theatres called
    "The Principle" espousing geocentrism.....and narrated by Voyager's Captain Janeway no less!

How can this be?!
    Last edited by wd40; 2013-Dec-12 at 02:10 AM.

Was money exchanged for services provided? That's how.

Kate Mulgrew also used to do the voiceovers for commercials for a hospital system around Cleveland, but that doesn't make her a doctor.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Most personalities, actors, performers and musicians have a clause in their contract that allows anyone to utilize their services for a price. Your child is turning six? You can have Anthrax perform a private concert.

Once you invoke that clause and fork over the cash, you can get just about any performer appear just about anywhere… within contractual limits. (On an aside, my sister used to work at a theme park and coordinated such events with musical acts. It can be very cool or completely nightmarish.)

I had the misfortune of meeting a TV personality (who shall remain nameless) that was brought in to an event by an organization that had no connection to the personality or his image. It was done for buzz. It was really uncomfortable, because it was clear that he was contracted to things that were along the lines of “meet and greet” yet precluded a great number of things like photography and autographs. He was obviously uncomfortable with what he agreed to do vs. what the people in attendance thought he was there to do.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams.

They're too divorced from reality and viable thought processes to ever realize this, but a big reason that certain belief systems are dwindling is because they refuse to accept reality. Those who aren't insane see that reality isn't wrong, and leave the belief systems.

How do I know this? I did, though I came from a flavor of bat-crap crazy that isn't quite so strong as this. These people sound like they're just this side of the laughing academy.

Wait, that's a serious production? I mean, you can make any frame of reference your "center" if you want, it's just a matter of coordinates, right? But I don't think it means what they think it means.

CJSF
    "Soon the man who sweeps the room brings the secret telegram, 'COMMENCE OFFICIAL INTERPLANETARY EXPLORATION.' "
    -They Might Be Giants, "Destination Moon"

It's either serious, or a flawless parody.

Make no mistake, there are still people who believe in a geocentric cosmos, even some who believe that the Earth is flat, because their favorite book, taken literally, says so.

WHat contract would you have with Anthrax to make them perform at your party?

Same with an Actor, what contrsact does anyone have with them to force them to perform in any given production?

Their agent can suggest a certain film or script to them but they aren't compelled to do it.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

In the absence of a Sagan, a Clarke, an Asimov or a Moore in our generation, it'll be interesting to see Mr Plait's review of the film!

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    WHat contract would you have with Anthrax to make them perform at your party?Same with an Actor, what contrsact does anyone have with them to force them to perform in any given production?Their agent can suggest a certain film or script to them but they aren't compelled to do it.
    Not you personally, most bands have contracts with music companies that have a clause that allow for anyone to hire them for performances. Boy, did I word that wrong.

Edit
    Back to the OP: Here is an example for Kate Mulgrew - http://www.totallykate.com/ says its her official website (if it is, it is very old, there are a lot of crazy links) and on that page is bookings.
    For amusement, here is LeVar Burton's info - http://www.celebritytalent.net/sampl.../levar-burton/
    And finally, Anthrax - http://www.tkoco.com/
    Last edited by Solfe; 2013-Dec-12 at 01:10 PM.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Make no mistake, there are still people who believe in a geocentric cosmos, even some who believe that the Earth is flat, because their favorite book, taken literally, says so.
    Winnie the Pooh says the Earth is flat?!? Wow, who knew!

If anyone wants to see the trailer and not follow the facebook link within WD40's link (and give themselves up to targeted advertising).
    Here's the youtube.

Of course, it also includes "our friend" Michiu Kaku. We know he will do just about anything "sciency" for a buck.
    This might be why Kate got suckered in. She's an actress, not a scientist. So; it might have sounded at least somewhat legit to her.

Even Nimoy got involved in some strange stuff. I remember yelling at him during that series.

And heck, Kate Mulgrew might be a geocentrist, or might believe the Earth is balanced on the backs of giant turtles. Just because she was on ST:V doesn't mean she believes in or understands science. Heck, it might explain why Voyager was so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    And heck, Kate Mulgrew might be a geocentrist, or might believe the Earth is balanced on the backs of giant turtles. Just because she was on ST:V doesn't mean she believes in or understands science. Heck, it might explain why Voyager was so bad.
    If she, like her character, relied on quantum physicists at Kent State University, then maybe that's the issue. As far as I know, there are no quantum physicists there.

In fact both Q and Braga went there, so we might be able to blame ST:VOY on KSU.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    In fact both Q and Braga went there, so we might be able to blame ST:VOY on KSU.
    Really, did not know that. The two people involved with Star Trek I hate the most...

That would explain the plastic nature of Braga's characters (you see KSU is know for their research on polymers, particularly liquid crystals.....).

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Not you personally, most bands have contracts with music companies that have a clause that allow for anyone to hire them for performances. Boy, did I word that wrong.
    Just no!! Anthrax will not have a contract with anyone that means they have to play for anyone that hires them.

I don't know any musician that would have that in their contract and certainly not bands with the stature of Anthrax!
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Kate Mulgrew said about her work on Voyager:
    "I'm proud of the work because I think I made some little difference in women in science".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Mulgrew

Maybe Kate actually believes or sympathises in the content of her narration for "The Principle" and is doing it pro bono, as did Charlton Heston for "The Mysterious Origins of Man'.

Pope John Paul II issued an apology to Galileo in 1992 and stated that he had been correct after all. But his successor Benedict XVI is said to have been a 'closet geocentrist'. The film's producer, Robert Sungenis, is a Catholic, as is Kate Mulgrew. Maybe the Vatican contributed to the cost of this film? And yet the Vatican Observatory could disown it!

If the film's tack is geocentrism (with a small g), then basically it will be the spreading the Theory of Relativity 'soft' to the public. If however it's tack is Geocentrism (with a big G), then this will by definition be an attack on Relativity, which could cause quite a furor in the scientific world.

Apart from Phil Plait, Michelle Thaller & Terence Tao are there any other young up and coming media-savvy NASA spokespeople http://www.spacecamp.com/halloffame
    with enough air of gravitas, knowledge & charisma to defend the Mainstream view?

Meanwhile this message just posted by Sungenis:

Dear Friends,

If you don’t know already, my Hollywood crew and I have produced a movie that we are planning to release in theaters across the USA in Spring 2014. It is titled, The Principle.

Briefly, we have a message of hope for the human race. I can honestly tell you with no exaggeration, this movie will be one of the most astounding you will ever see.

Ultimate questions about our place in the universe are addressed by the leading cosmologists in the world (e.g., Michio Kaku, Lawrence Krauss, Max Tegmark, George F. R. Ellis, and many more), and the answers they give will absolutely blow you away.

Just one simple click is all we need for you to help us become a success!

Here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/theprinciplemovie

When you get to the Facebook page, make sure you press the button that says “Like it.” If for some reason the Facebook page doesn’t work, go to our website at:

http://www.theprinciplemovie.com

or go to Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8cBvMCucTg

We have done our best to give you a quality movie, not only in content, but also in the talent we chose to present it: Kate Mulgrew (former “Captain Janeway” on Star Trek Voyager, and a four-decade veteran of stage and screen) is our narrator.

Graphics were created by BUF Compagnie of Paris (winner of the Academy Award in 2012 for “Best Visual Effects” in the movie Life of Pi)

Music is by Richard Robson Remix (nominated for an award in 2006), with the singer-sensation, JES, singing our original theme song, “Sky Stand Still.”

There is much more I could tell you, but for now, please visit our Facebook page, and tell your friends and relatives to do so as well.

Thank you, and enjoy the Trailer!

Robert Sungenis

Executive Producer, The Principle

Stellar Motion Pictures, LLC

Los Angeles, CA

PS: Look for a lengthy write-up of The Principle in “USA Today.” They called us today to do an article. Also look for a write-up in Universe Today in the next issue.
    Last edited by wd40; 2013-Dec-13 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
    Pope John Paul II issued an apology to Galileo in 1992 and stated that he had been correct after all. But his successor Benedict XVI is said to have been a 'closet geocentrist'.
    By whom?

The Roman Catholic Church, the various Orthodoxes, Mainline Protestants, etc. accept the findings of scientific enquiry. They accepted the evolution of life, arguably the most contentious discovery, around a century ago. It's only fundamentalists that call reality a liar.

The film's producer, Robert Sungenis, is a Catholic, as is Kate Mulgrew.
    So?

Maybe the Vatican contributed to the cost of this film?
    Why would they? As previously stated, mainstream religions roll with scientific discoveries now.

If the film's tack is geocentrism (with a small g), then basically it will be the spreading the Theory of Relativity 'soft' to the public. If however it's tack is Geocentrism (with a big G), then this will by definition be an attack on Relativity, which could cause quite a furor in the scientific world.
    It's not an attack on Relativity (a theory that explains and makes predictions about mass at the largest scales and highest speeds) it's an attack on observed reality. It's impossible, absolutely impossible, that the universe is Geocentric in nature.

Natural selection is a theory that explains and makes predictions about the evolution of life. That life evolves is a fact, it's observed reality.

Quantum Mechanics is a theory that explains and makes predictions at the atomic level. Electrons, and other subatomic particles are facts.

Theories can be wrong, facts are never wrong.

Apart from Phil Plait, Michelle Thaller & Terence Tao are there any other young up and coming media-savvy NASA spokespeople http://www.spacecamp.com/halloffame
    with enough air of gravitas, knowledge & charisma to defend the Mainstream view?
    It doesn't take much knowledge to know that geocentrism is nonsense, and it's very easy to get these days. Books, internet, looking for oneself through a telescope . . .

I think they have better uses of their time.

1. While the rules allow for polite and focused discussion of Science v. Religion (Creationsism, Young Earth, [G/g]eocentrism, etc.), this discussion is not so focused and the SMaL forum is not the place for it.

2. wd40, some of your remarks smack of conspiracy claims and could net you a serious infraction if you continue them anywhere outside of the CT forum.
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────
    My moderation comments will appear in this color.
    To report a post (even this one) to the moderation team, click the reporting icon in the lower-left corner of the post:
    Rules For Posting To This Board ► ◄ Forum FAQs ► ◄ Conspiracy Theory Advice ► ◄ Alternate Theory Advice

she also plays a cop with an eye patch on NTSF:SD:SUV on Adult Swim, but that doesn't mean that she's a cop that wears an eye patch...

and who do i contact to get Anthrax to play my birthday party? should i just go thru Meatloaf, since guitarist Scott Ian is married to his daughter?
    that would be my mostest favoritest birthday party evar, and i bet it would be better than that time they were on Married with Children- which was pretty awesome.

James Earl Jones said this on the subject of voice work (according to the source listed in the quote I lifted from IMDB.)

[from "James Earl Jones: Voices and Silences" page 360]: My voice is for hire. My endorsement is not for hire. I will do a voice-over, but I cannot endorse without making a different kind of commitment. My politics are very personal and subjective.
    I don't agree with this attitude for the reasons given here. When a famous person does something like this, it's not clear if they actually support it or not.
    I think the default assumption is that they do support whatever the projects is. If they didn't, why would they agree to do it? That may not always be the case.
    Last edited by Tog; 2013-Dec-13 at 08:45 AM.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Briefly, we have a message of hope for the human race. I can honestly tell you with no exaggeration, this movie will be one of the most astounding you will ever see.
    As soon as I see a line like that by a film maker I know that it would be the sort of film I would chew my own foot off to escape.

If the film's tack is geocentrism (with a small g), then basically it will be the spreading the Theory of Relativity 'soft' to the public.
    No, the point with relativity is that all points in the universe can all be called "center." Mars, the Sun, and a quasar ten billion light years from Earth are all as much "center" as Earth. It's completely arbitrary. Sungenis uses the relativity argument as an excuse for geocentrism, but doesn't really understand it. You won't hear him talking about quasar-centrism.

If however it's tack is Geocentrism (with a big G), then this will by definition be an attack on Relativity, which could cause quite a furor in the scientific world.
    A furor? I seriously doubt it. Sungenis has been talking about this stuff for some time, which is why I know about him, and very few take him or the subject seriously - this isn't a subject where many are arguing to "teach the controversy." I expect this will get some publicity as a spectacle, much as a seriously made claim for a flat Earth or a moon made of green cheese would.

Ultimate questions about our place in the universe are addressed by the leading cosmologists in the world (e.g., Michio Kaku, Lawrence Krauss, Max Tegmark, George F. R. Ellis, and many more), and the answers they give will absolutely blow you away.
    Sungenis has a reputation for cherry picking and quote mining with very selective editing, so little would surprise me here (and then there's Kaku who may not need much editing for his purposes).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Kate Mulgrew said about her work on Voyager:
    "I'm proud of the work because I think I made some little difference in women in science".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Mulgrew
    Maybe Kate actually believes or sympathises in the content of her narration for "The Principle"
    You're reading way to much into that comment.
    The difference is in inspiration, Just like Scotty inspired technicians.
    Having a woman as the main character of a sci-fi inspires women in the same way.

and is doing it pro bono, as did Charlton Heston for "The Mysterious Origins of Man'.
    I seriously doubt it. Heston is only one example.
    Look at Mulgrew's background. She does a lot of voiceover work. I see this as just another gig for her.

Besides, do you think Kaku would do this for free too?

Have you nothing to say about my comments in post 12?

But his successor Benedict XVI is said to have been a 'closet geocentrist'
    Unless he, himself, has made references to support geocentrism, then this is just un-founded rumor because of his conservative views.

The film's producer, Robert Sungenis, is a Catholic, as is Kate Mulgrew.
    30% of all mainstream scientists who think geocentrism is absolutely wrong are Catholic. Even by random chance the connection is valid.

Maybe the Vatican contributed to the cost of this film?
    They have the means for something more than some web film.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    A furor?
    Scientists are all about furor! A scientist at party is almost as wild as have Jimmy Page and Robert Plant at a party. It must be all the practice they get in grad school. Post-grad students must be insane partiers! They always look exhausted.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    As soon as I see a line like that by a film maker I know that it would be the sort of film I would chew my own foot off to escape.

However, I expect your foot is safe. I think this is the sort of movie that opens in select cities on April 13 and closes on April 14.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Even Nimoy got involved in some strange stuff. I remember yelling at him during that series.
    Granted, the episodes about actual real-life topics such as tornadoes and the search for the wreck of the Titanic are informative in terms of that was known at the time, if a bit sensational. But then, those are the only ones I've watched.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Granted, the episodes about actual real-life topics such as tornadoes and the search for the wreck of the Titanic are informative in terms of that was known at the time, if a bit sensational. But then, those are the only ones I've watched.
    I watched them regularly. Although the topics were normally treated with a paranormal slant, it was still interesting to see footage of some of the ancient works. (afterall, no internet at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    James Earl Jones said this on the subject of voice work (according to the source listed in the quote I lifted from IMDB.)

I don't agree with this attitude for the reasons given here. When a famous person does something like this, it's not clear if they actually support it or not.
    I think the default assumption is that they do support whatever the projects is. If they didn't, why would they agree to do it? That may not always be the case.
    the paycheck. i never assume (or care) that the person that is playing the part of narrator in something actually believes in what he/she is saying. it's a job for them, no different than when i go to a building for 40 hours a week to put pieces of metal into a machine that makes them into smaller, differently shaped pieces of metal using different cutters guided by a computer program..

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    the paycheck. i never assume (or care) that the person that is playing the part of narrator in something actually believes in what he/she is saying. it's a job for them, no different than when i go to a building for 40 hours a week to put pieces of metal into a machine that makes them into smaller, differently shaped pieces of metal using different cutters guided by a computer program..
    This! I constantly have customers in our shop asking for me to do things I either know, or suspect will not work when they are done. I will inform them of this before I put my time and their money up. However, if you come in, and are willing to pay me $100,000 to make a perpetual motion machine that you designed using magnets and ball bearings, then I will make your machine exactly to your specs. When it doesn't work, I will cash your check.

This is how James Earl Jones and Malcolm McDowell do the commercials mocking Facebook. They are hilarious, and I doubt anyone thinks they are an endorsement of some of the silliness that is on Facebook.

TJ