Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: RIP: VHS

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2,456

    RIP: VHS


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,822
    VHS recorders make dull museum pieces

    Note: would it be possible to edit the URL in your post to something like this:

    MSN news item

    Yours is way off page.

    For a "how to do it" see the BA's guide here

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,212
    Bottom line: transfer all your old home videos to DVD now, while you can still find a good VCR.

    The article is a bit backward on the Betamax issue; VHS challanged Beta, not the other way around, and won.

    I wonder where my Beta VCR is... I can't remember if I took it to the dump long ago, or merely lost it in the fiberglass insulation in my attic.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,186
    VHS gone, analog TV going... what are they going to kill off next

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by electromagneticpulse
    VHS gone, analog TV going... what are they going to kill off next
    3.5" floppies
    With more and more stuff appearing on DVD (even music) CD's bell is getting ready to toll.
    Cassettes are pretty much gone (excpet for the '04 Chevy the rental place gave me, that floored me, a car built this model year with a tape deck!)
    Further down the road, HDTV is making inroads, once they get the bandwidth overlap problem solved, that'll ring in HDTV as standard.
    It's the wave of the future, surf or drown (which my mother is doing quite happily).

    [edit to typo a correct, PS this 60 sec wait to edit bites. :x ]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,822
    35mm film could soon go too except for specialist use at a specialist price. The price of 5M pix CCD cameras is dropping like a stone and the image quality combined with home edit and print is a pretty unbeatable combination for the average holiday snap.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,776
    DVD recorders are available and getting cheaper but can they handle re-writable discs? I won't replace my VHS box until blank (re-writable) discs are a similar price to tapes. I know it's only a matter of time, but I don't think the time is here yet!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    7,781
    Quote Originally Posted by zebo-the-fat
    DVD recorders are available and getting cheaper but can they handle re-writable discs? I won't replace my VHS box until blank (re-writable) discs are a similar price to tapes. I know it's only a matter of time, but I don't think the time is here yet!
    Best Buy has five-packs of Fuji-brand rewritable DVDs for $10.

    You can probably get 'em even cheaper if you go for generic brand and/or bulk quantities.

    [Edit: 25-pack of Verbatim-brand rewritable DVDs for $30]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,186
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF
    Quote Originally Posted by zebo-the-fat
    DVD recorders are available and getting cheaper but can they handle re-writable discs? I won't replace my VHS box until blank (re-writable) discs are a similar price to tapes. I know it's only a matter of time, but I don't think the time is here yet!
    Best Buy has five-packs of Fuji-brand rewritable DVDs for $10.

    You can probably get 'em even cheaper if you go for generic brand and/or bulk quantities.

    [Edit: 25-pack of Verbatim-brand rewritable DVDs for $30]
    Holy coated sugar pills! I might order bulk from america, 25 rewritables for £15

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,822
    50off DVD R's, E-bay £13.99 + £5.99 p&p UK supplier, 3mins remaining.

    Edit: sale now ended but a regular dealer, price seems typical.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    177
    DVD+-RW discs can go for a quid or so. same as 4-hour VHS tapes. Single-use discs for less than that.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,992
    Hey we still use our VCR.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    2,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Yoon
    Hey we still use our VCR.
    We have a DVD player (they're cheap now.) It works quite well.
    However, I'm keeping our VCR player because one of my favorite flying movies, "The Dam Busters" is still only available on VHS!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,885
    Really, I mean sure they dropped prices of VCRs to nothing and are losing money but there are a lot of tapes out there that will need players. I for one have two VCRs and two of those TV/VCR things. I also have a thousand tapes (including First Flights hosted by the one and only Neil Armstrong) which I shant be copying to anyother media. I will be really upset if VHS goes away.

    I don't think it will, based on absolutely no research. We always have two formats. Even in the early recording days there was 78rpm and 45rpm. There was vinyl and 8track, then vinyl and cassette. Now cassette and CD. Movies had reels and laser disc! then beta, then beta and VHS. Now DVD and VHS.

    Computers had drum storage and reels, then reels and really huge floppies, then really huge and 5 1/4 floppies. Then 5 1/4 and 3.5 floppies. Then 3.5 and CD.

    We have to have two formats. I think there are enough tapes out there that a market for cheap VHS players will dictate that somebody can make money making them. Big companies simply cannot go back and recopy everything to digital format. And don't forget people that already copied their old home movie reels to VHS. If VHS players die out it will be a huge loss to everyone and I personally will become even more bitter than I already am. You don't want to see that.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Arrgh. Yet another news broadcaster falls for the hype.

    Dixons are actually stopping VHS sales because

    1) Tesco have beaten them in a price war, and there is no profit margin left in the things, and

    2) Dixons want to promote themselves as tech-savvy and modern, rather than the place you go if you want to laugh at underpaid shop assistants spouting rubbish about products they've been given no training in, before ordering what you actually want online.

    VHS sales this year may be outnumbered 40 to 1 by DVD player sales, but for recording broadcast TV they will still comfortably outsell Sky+, DVD-R machines and other Tivo-alikes put together. Its just that those VHS recorders are now all below the £50 mark, rather than ten times that with a hefty margin on the distribution price.

    Right now, I'd not be surprised if VHS hangs in there at the low, low budget end of the market long enough for cheap DVD-recorders to make the jump from £250 to £130, and kill off a lot of the play-only machines that Dixons is so proud of shipping out the door.

  16. #16
    We still use our VHS


    ........................... as a clock

    (its got a clock on it BTW)

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,686

    Re: RIP: VHS

    Quote Originally Posted by banquo's_bumble_puppy
    http://news.sympatico[truncate]=abc
    bbp,

    Please edit your link so we've don't have to scroll horizontally to read every post that follows.

    Use this format:

    "Appropriate SHORT URL Name"

    Omit the quotes when doing the real thing.

    Thank you.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2,456
    sorry guys...I'm a total computer boob...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,686

    Re: RIP: VHS

    Quote Originally Posted by banquo's_bumble_puppy
    sorry guys...I'm a total computer boob...
    Relax, man, we all start out as total computer boobs. Then we learn. Check your PMs.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2,456
    Mak-thanks-have a nice day

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by jt-3d
    Computers had drum storage and reels, then reels and really huge floppies, then really huge and 5 1/4 floppies. Then 5 1/4 and 3.5 floppies. Then 3.5 and CD.
    Dell has already stopped offering 3.5" on their new systems, I think you can still select it as a customization option, but it's not part of the standard package. The “two media options” for computers are probably going to be CD/DVD for big items and USB flash drives or other flash devices (CF, SD, etc) for smaller stuff. I routinely transfer files too big for floppies; their limited storage capability will end them soon.

    IIRC, one advantage 35mm still holds over digital is black and white photography. Something about it allows for better definition, but that’ll change here soon too.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by mid
    2) Dixons want to promote themselves as tech-savvy and modern, rather than the place you go if you want to laugh at underpaid shop assistants spouting rubbish about products they've been given no training in, before ordering what you actually want online.

    Right now, I'd not be surprised if VHS hangs in there at the low, low budget end of the market long enough for cheap DVD-recorders to make the jump from £250 to £130, and kill off a lot of the play-only machines that Dixons is so proud of shipping out the door.
    I work there, and I do try not to talk about things I know nothing about. I steer clear of Washing achines, for example.

    As for cheap DVD recorders, there already is one at £150, which is what I payed for my VCR a few years ago. If my VCR dies on me, I'll probably upgrade to DVD. I'll just burn anything I have on tape I want to keep to DVD.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    7,781
    Quote Originally Posted by jt-3d
    I don't think it will, based on absolutely no research. We always have two formats. Even in the early recording days there was 78rpm and 45rpm. There was vinyl and 8track, then vinyl and cassette. Now cassette and CD. Movies had reels and laser disc! then beta, then beta and VHS. Now DVD and VHS.
    Yes, we always have two formats. But there will be a new format (Blu-Ray?), and then the two formats that remain will be DVD and Blu-Ray, and at that point VHS will go the way of 78rpm and 8-tracks - by your own examples!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF
    Yes, we always have two formats. But there will be a new format (Blu-Ray?), and then the two formats that remain will be DVD and Blu-Ray, and at that point VHS will go the way of 78rpm and 8-tracks - by your own examples!
    Devil talk, be gone, demon. Long live VHS!!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    7,781
    Quote Originally Posted by jt-3d
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF
    Yes, we always have two formats. But there will be a new format (Blu-Ray?), and then the two formats that remain will be DVD and Blu-Ray, and at that point VHS will go the way of 78rpm and 8-tracks - by your own examples!
    Devil talk, be gone, demon. Long live VHS!!
    For what it's worth, in my house we have five VHS VCRs, one TV-VCR combo, two televisions, two DVD players, and one computer that has a DVD-burner and a TV-tuner card in it.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,822
    SeanF wrote:

    For what it's worth, in my house we have five VHS VCRs, one TV-VCR combo, two televisions, two DVD players, and one computer that has a DVD-burner and a TV-tuner card in it.
    Well, I don't have a TV or pc tuner. Refuse to pay the UK license fee on principle. Have had a stand-off with the authorities over this for 10 years now. I won't let them in the house to check I don't have a set, they keep phoning me and turning up at odd times so I send them away with the comment, "Not without a warrent you don't." The money I save covers my web broadband.

    Currently to use a vid recorder you need a TV licence but not a DVD - I may buy a DVD just to wind up the good folks at Bristol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
here
The forum is sponsored in-part by: