Thread: Annoying Neighbors

Annoying Neighbors

I hate people! My neighbor is one of those people that takes absolutely no consideration that other people are living around him! Last night at 3:30 in the morning he was hanging pictures on the wall, which probably bothers the neighbors on the same floor more than it does my wife and I. But each time he finished putting the nail in the wall he'd drop the hammer on the floor! ](*,) How do you even deal with people that have no idea there's anyone else living in the same universe as themselves?

Forgot to mention, his floor is my ceiling.

My neighbor's love me. I live in a 4 unit condo building (2 units upstairs and 3 down). I get their newspapers in the mornings when I get off work at 6am and place them beside their doors.

I got lucky when I bought this place. The neighbor's are all older quiet types with no kids. 8)

Now, the apartment complex before this place. Now, that's a different story. I have learned to dislike unruly kids and their unruly parent(s). These kids would play baseball with home plate right in front of my sliding glass door. When not 30 feet, there was a huge open field.

I had some annoying neighbors that have since moved.

When my wife and I first moved into our house, we noticed that every now and then during the summer there would be a very strong gasoline odor in the house. I assumed that the neighbor on the one side of us was working on one of the old junker cars in their yard.

Well, one day I was outside getting rid of some weeds, when I noticed the neighbor was also pouring liquid on the weeds in her yard. After a few minutes, I smelled the gasoline smell.

The woman was killing weeds with gasoline.

I hate stupid people.

I lived in a 10 unit when I first moved to central Illinois. It was well managed, and my neighbors were great. We'd have "parking lot" parties a few times a year, and in the Summer, we'd fill up a wading pool and have pool parties. Very nice.

then, mgmt changed. The former would not rent to college kids (I lived in near ISU). The new one didn't care. Slowly, my neighbors moved out and were replaced with younger, rowdier, less respective types. I was the last hold-out (as my rent was dirt cheap, me being a "good renter" and all. . .). Got to the point where the entire neighborhood took a steep slide downhill. I drew the line after convincing myself (on circumstantial evidence only, hense no cops) that the people on the second floor were dealing drugs straight off their balcony, like a McDonalds drive-thru. What a shame. I hear now that whole area is pretty much slums.

I forgot to mention this is the same guy that used to park in handicapped parking (who isn't handicapped and doesn't have a sticker) because it was closest to the stairwell, even if the spot right next to it was open. :x Nothing makes me angrier, because it's disrespectful to the neighbors and visitors. The question I ask myself everytime I see that is: why is/are he/they so important that he/they need it more than the people it was made for?

Have you ever talked with your neighbour?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAnodizeAl
    I forgot to mention this is the same guy that used to park in handicapped parking (who isn't handicapped and doesn't have a sticker) because it was closest to the stairwell, even if the spot right next to it was open. :x Nothing makes me angrier, because it's disrespectful to the neighbors and visitors. The question I ask myself everytime I see that is: why is/are he/they so important that he/they need it more than the people it was made for?
    Just find a cop and tell them about his parking habbits after 2 or 3 tickets at $500 a pop he will quit parking there.

I was an "annoying neighbor" at one point. I lived on the third floor of a three-story. I had a nice big living/dining room, very condusive to aerobics! I prefer to run for my exercise, but in the winter when it's dark when I get home, I have no choice but to stay inside to work out (since I don't belong to a gym.) Anyway, when I would do aerobics and my neighbor below me was home, it would apparently upset him because he would bang on the ceiling.

Now, it's not like this was an every day occurrence. In the 3 1/2 years I lived there, there were only about 5 ceiling banging incidents. And I never responded to him. It's not like I was making this noise way early or way late. This was between 6 and 7 p.m. And it would last only about 20 minutes!

Now I know, it's possible that could have been in the middle of his sleep schedule. But the thing is--he NEVER approached me about it! If he were to come upstairs and politely ask me to stop or wait or let me know when my aerobics would have worked better with his schedule, I would have gladly worked something out. I just don't respond to banging on the ceiling! Talk to me, and things will be fine!

One of the times I swore he got especially upset, because later that evening it sounded like he was slamming his door, or the building's front door, for a half an hour! I never went to investigate, I just imagined he was doing it to get back at me! It didn't bother me. I wasn't trying to sleep or study or anything, so I just ignored it.......I figure, when you live in an apartment building, on a very busy street, you have to put up with neighborly noises now and then. If you want peace and quiet, move to the country!!

Quote Originally Posted by kucharek
    Have you ever talked with your neighbour?
    On a number of occassions. He's the type that just shrugs it off says he'll do something and continues with the behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by wackywizjr
    Just find a cop and tell them about his parking habbits after 2 or 3 tickets at $500 a pop he will quit parking there.
    I did it, the cop hand delivered the ticket to the guy's door, he didn't want it to get wet in the rain...not a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie
    I figure, when you live in an apartment building, on a very busy street, you have to put up with neighborly noises now and then. If you want peace and quiet, move to the country!!
    I have no problem with the noise, heck I'm one of the most tollerant neighbors a person could have. It's the 3:30 in the morning part of it that was frusterating to me. It's not a time when the person below you might be asleep...that late at night the neighbors probably are asleep. Bang around all you want during the time between 5 AM and midnight, I can live with that. A hammer dropped on the floor repeatedly sounds like a series of gunshots in the middle of the night.

I'm going to talk to him this afternoon when I get home from work.

I figure, when you live in an apartment building, on a very busy street, you have to put up with neighborly noises now and then. If you want peace and quiet, move to the country!!
    I have no problem with the noise, heck I'm one of the most tollerant neighbors a person could have. It's the 3:30 in the morning part of it that was frusterating to me. It's not a time when the person below you might be asleep...that late at night the neighbors probably are asleep. Bang around all you want during the time between 5 AM and midnight, I can live with that. A hammer dropped on the floor repeatedly sounds like a series of gunshots in the middle of the night.

Sorry, I wasn't directing that toward you! I agree, hammers at 3:30 are unacceptable.
    I was thinking more about my guy....heck, with the motorcycles that would sit at the loooong red light just outside our building, revving their engines for a minute or more before taking off screaming down the street, then touring around the block and doing it again, all of this after 1 a.m., EVERY Friday and Saturday night when the weather's nice.......you'd think a little bumping above him in the early evening hours would be nothing!

Sorry, I wasn't directing that toward you! I agree, hammers at 3:30 are unacceptable.
    I was thinking more about my guy....heck, with the motorcycles that would sit at the loooong red light just outside our building, revving their engines for a minute or more before taking off screaming down the street, then touring around the block and doing it again, all of this after 1 a.m., EVERY Friday and Saturday night when the weather's nice.......you'd think a little bumping above him in the early evening hours would be nothing!
    Sorry, just a little sensitive...my sleep was quite interrupted last night (which makes me pretty cranky). I completely agree with you. I've been the annoying neighbor myself. I like to clean with the windows open and the stereo blaring on a Saturday morning, which used to bother my old neighbor. (My wife hates it too, but she tolleraes it because it's the only way I clean.)

Moving to the country is no antidote to lousy neighbors. They let their dogs run loose and put up streetlight sized outdoor lighting fixtures. They think it's o.k. for their kids to ride their motorized dirt bikes (and snowmobiles) anywhere and everywhere, since private property means nothing to them. People without common courtesy or common sense are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gethen
    ...put up streetlight sized outdoor lighting fixtures...
    Nothing a high powered rifle and a well blaced bullet can't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by gethen
    People without common courtesy or common sense are everywhere.
    To paraphrase a movie (and to quote a T-Shirt I saw once): "I see Dumb People...."

I find it downright amazing how utterly selfish and self-centered people can be. I was raised to respect others and their rights. Sometimes I think I'm the only one. It amazes me how people don't realize the effect of playing their stereo at top-volume at 3am. I've been tempted at times to go find the circuit-breaker for their unit..... :wink:

My father has constant problems with the neighborhood dogs romping through his garden. It's gotten to the point that he's begun petitioning the Town Council for a right to Trap Dogs. Sort of a catch-and-release sport. He's thinking about spray-painting a bulls-eye on the side of the dog, and then releasing it - making the point very clear about what he could have done.

The city I school in hates students, and not entirely without cause.

First year, in residence, I had problems with people hanging outside my room at all hours of the night. I'm a heavy sleeper, but I have to get there first, and I'm restless until I do. Living in a dorm nearly killed me.

I'm currently living with the most frustrating, irritating person I've ever met. You think stupid or ignorant people are difficult to deal with when they live next door? Try sharing an apartment with one.

"Rob", as I'll call him, is a weird chap. When we moved into the apartment just over 2 years ago, we knew he was a little slow, but it took us quite a while to realise he's an idiot. And I use that word with all due respect.

He owns exclusively plastic cups and bowls.

He doesn't own a pair of scissors, or any mechanical tools for that matter.

He can't operate his computer, yet he almost went into computer science.

These were our warning signs.

By Christmas that first year, I had lost a $30 glassware set to his "washing the dishes". I'm also down two plates.

He buys everything in bulk. Unless someone has use for it. Food comes out of the communal wallet here (or at least it did until September), so we all paid for his excessive waste. Bulk food is good when you eat it, but 10kg of grapefruit when no one in the house -- not even Rob -- eats grapefruit... Milk, on the other hand, would mysteriously arrive in our fridge in 1 litre cartons.

Somehow, he's capable of burning tomato soup to the bottom of a pot every single time he cooks the stuff. I didn't even know you could burn tomato soup. Of course, he'd never eat it on his day to do the dishes.

He can't seem to remember which recycling box is for the cardboard, and which is for everything else. It's not cool having to pick out pizza boxes and egg cartons when they're covered in Chunky stew. Did I mention he doesn't rinse out his cans before recycling them?

He doesn't turn off the stove/barbeque/oven when he's finished using them. He doesn't close the door when he enters/leaves the apartment.

He writes all his essays at 4am, with his computer blasting out the same 5 mp3s over and over again. He listens to some of the most annoying music known to man, too.

Every time he comes home, he stands in the doorway with the door opened, complains about how cold it is outside (while we freeze), and then asks what we're watching on TV. Unless it's something he's seen four times before, he needs the plot explained to him. He won't leave unless he knows what's going on.

Have you ever had someone ask you what the expiration date on a newly purchased lightbulb was?

How about toilet paper?

He doesn't do his dishes. He just lets everything get dirty, and washes the one plate, bowl, pan, or glass that he needs at the time. By "his dishes" I refer to the giant stack of every plate in the house that he's dirtied.

He'll wander into my room (or my other roommates rooms), and read over their shoulder. Even if what's over our shoulders is, say, a private e-mail. And he does this while wearing his muddy, muddy shoes.

He doesn't wash his clothes.

He's hogged all of my share of the freezer space.

He leaves the taps running.

And lastly, he left the front door wide open one night, while the rest of us were in bed, and Trevor's X-Box was missing the next morning, along with all his games. He was tollerable until he let someone walk off with $1100 worth of someone else's stuff.

It was at that point that we realized our high utility and food bills can be pretty much linked directly to him. No one else in the house has broken someone else's dishes without replacing them, or let the barbecue tank empty without refilling it, purchased $30 worth of bulk chicken and just not bother to freeze it, or let theives walk straight into the house without resistance. Without apologizing once.

He's a nice guy. He's just an idiot. I could only wish he were my neighbour.

Ut,

you make my housemates look normal.

They moved in just over a month ago, and at that time I explained exactly why I would insist on cleaning.
    But soon it turns out that, even though they use the kitchen (especially frying stuff), they do not bother to clean and tidy up.

When I confronted them, they started acting like little kids, denying everything, to the point they shouted to stop from talking.
    Luckily another housemate has experience with children, and she prepared a cunning strategy to get them to clean up.

But I am not sure that there is enough time for the strategy to work, because the landlady already warned them, without success.

Well, "Rob" is a nice guy and all. He's just completely ignorant of everyone around him. You can tell he was raised in a household where everying was always done for him. Plus, he's not very bright to begin with. It wasn't until over $1000 worth of stuff went missing due to his stupidity that the rest of us sort of sat down and went "He's cost us a lot of money over the past two years. Has he ever apologized for it?" that these incidents went from being "Just Rob" to infuriating.

If you let someone walk off with your roomie's games and hardware, due to a stupid mistake like forgetting to lock the door, would you at least say you were sorry?

Quote Originally Posted by Ut
    If you let someone walk off with your roomie's games and hardware, due to a stupid mistake like forgetting to lock the door, would you at least say you were sorry?
    I suppose you can always hope that he'll get lost on the way home, or just forget to breathe sometime. Are you stuck with him until the lease runs out?

Neighbours.....*sigh...I have my share of them.
    I live on a corner which mean I have 6 neighbours. 2 of those are bars or rum shops as they are known here. They both blast music till 12 in the night but I have gotten accustomed to that.
    My other neighbour receives a visit from this girl every night. The girl talks in this loud, whiny, annoying voice which drives me MAD. She watches their tv at the highest volume and leaves at 11:30pm which is wayyyy past my bedtime. When she leaves, she asks my neighbour " You not going to sleep tonight? You waking late?"
    I just lie in my bed fuming. I wonder why the neighbour is going to sleep so late. Maybe it's because she is staying too late by their house each night and keeping them awake??????????

How about the neighbor that has a large, loud party till 4 am in the morning, keeping everyone awake with the booming stereos and screaming (yes screaming). Then whi i get up and walk the dog at 9 am, we are yelled at for being too loud going by his place.*

ha!

*Welll...maybe i did happen to yell for my dog to come to me when i was passing by their wiondo...several times. :-P Revenge is sweet.

4am in the morning... I love that phrase.

Party houses deserve everything they get. I live in the student village. I'm surrounded by party houses. I have to admit that nothing would make me happier than waking the hungovers up early.

I had some bad neighbors at one time as well, they did everything from loud noise into the wee hours to deliberately running the hot water whenever my roommate and I took a shower. My least favorite was when during the cold Saskatchewan winter they would open their front doors to smoke (not allowed to inside) and crank the heater to compensate. I had a large block of chocolate in a plastic bag that liquified in a short period of time as a result of the heat.

During the latter part of my stay there I discovered that one of my friends who was an exchange student had never seen Star Wars so we had a movie marathon into the wee hours with full volume on my stereo. When I actually moved out the last thing to go was the same stereo and it played really loud bass enhanced music for hours while we took our sweet time at the new place.

My son once lived in a 3 man dorm room with a guy who came in late every weekend night, totally smashed. Since my son and the other roommate were engineering students at a very competitive university, they liked to spend at least Friday night studying. (Saturday night was for wasting.) The 3rd guy was so loud and obnoxious when he came in that he routinely disrupted their studying, woke them if they'd gone to bed, , threw up on the carpet, and snored like a freight train when he finally fell asleep. The other two guys took care of it easily enough. They got up early on Saturday (like 6:00 a.m.) turned the t.v. on loud, vacuumed the carpet, dropped large items on the floor, and ate warmed up pizza while the offender tried, without luck, to sleep. He got the message pretty quickly.

Ut you have to be a saint to put up with that guy if someone cost me $1000 without paying me back i'd have pawned all the stuff he owns to pay it back.
    You can tell he was raised in a household where everying was always done for him
    I should find this offensive but its more or less true :roll:
    As for the culinary skills i bet you never thought it was possible to set water on either :wink:

I too am a deep sleeper but on several occasions i have had to walk into my brothers room and remove his speakers as he just leaves one song playing... while singing to it. I on the odd occasion leave the same cd going but thats because i forget its playing and dont hear it.
    I find people who listen to the same thing over and over annoying too i have a 5cd hi-fi so i dont have that problem anymore.

I dont get how you could have managed to live in a dorm i've refused to go the uni path because i know i would end up living in a dorm and also get in debt. Also the "better" job prospect doesnt intice me in the slightest as i know a forensic scientist. I buy ham off him once in a while he works in a meat counter in tesco's (walmart size shop).

But as this is annoying neighbours i'll bring mine up. We've had the tail ends of a lot of the hurricanes which have broken down the fence, its been going for a while and its not our fence ours is on the left of the property and this is on the right but they "dont have the money" even though they spent a load on putting a load of (would use another word) trash in their back garden "for their kids" who dont even play with it.

They didn't even bother proping up the damaged posts so now they need to replace the whole thing as the panels have smashed, which means my dog can get into their garden and out through the cat flap in their gate. We had enough trouble with him digging out but now he can just get straight out.
    They've also complained about my playing bass guitar through an amp and not even a proper bass amp but a standard practice amp (if you've seen them they have a 5"x5"). I mean fair enough if its early in the morning or late in the evening but i usualy play when i get back from college or when i get up which in most cases is between 12 noon and 5 pm. Recently my brother ran out of room in his room for his amp and we did a swap so as its well within my rights at the times i play (and the other side is always at work) i have a double 10"x10" + 5"x5" amp so now when i play i cant even hear the door so no one can complain at me.

Im now the "nice" neighbour

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    This is an old complaint, and it hasn't happened often, but when the only regard neighbors have is for hormones... :roll: . I moved into this apartment late this last August. It's 5 apartements (one in the basement, two on each of the other two stories) put into a house. Labor day weekend, I discoverd that my upstairs neightbor's bed is directly above mine. The worst part is that she and her boyfriend decided to inform me of this fact at 5am on the Tuesday following labor day. I'm most infuriated by the fact that after a 3-day weekend, this happens at 5am Tuesday morning! I still want to sleep for 2-3 more hours at least; I've had less than 6 hours at this point.

The other person on the second floor thought someone was banging on her door. At least I didn't get out of bed for it.

Of course the best part is that the guy in the basement told me it was okay to do my laundry after midnight since he doesn't hear anything. That also makes me more willing to wonder around the house at 2-3am if I'm up for some reason, but I still *try* to be quiet at that time of night.

The worst neighbors i have ever had was sophmore year of college. We livved in a 100% student apartment complex. We were on the ground floor and these elephants were above us. Every weekend they would have partes where i would swear they set up a ring and had wrestling matches. For hours on end we would hear alot of loud thumps and bumps with some grunts. (and the floors were relatively think). Then monthly they would move their furnature around with the evidednt crash of the couch falling. That or they would try to lift it over their head.

One of them would play their bass at full blast to go to sleap, but luckily it was over the common room and not mine. But my walls still shook. Halfway through the year they switched from outside your door garbage pickup to communal bins. Since they lived on the second floor they decided it would be easier to just throw the bags over the railing instead of walking the ten feet down. Made a disgusting mess.

We complained alot about them to the management, but nuthing was ever done. Never. We finally found out that their parents were very rich (or at least one of them was) and had alot of pull with the management.

Finalyl they went over the edge by vandalizing the building (they broke all of the lights on the outside of the building) and were kicked out. The bliss was fantastic. They had several thousadns of dollars in damage to their apartment (had to replace the kitchen counters and holes in the wall) that they were never charged for (we knew this since a friend i knew worked in the office and he was never told to charge them). It just anoyed us to no end the favoratism these managers had for these jerks. That was the last time we spent there. We moved to a heck of alot better place and urged everyone we knew never to go back.