Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

What are you watching?

Just to collect the leftovers from the other "What are you...?" threads.

I'm currently working my way through every episode of "Foamy the squirrel " on YouTube, I've yet to hear a Foamy rant I have no sympathy for.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

College Football!

A Frontline episode called "Nuclear Aftershocks." It's one of the last items under "N."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Adventure Time!
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Triangles are my favorite shape
    "Three points where two lines meet"
    Tessellate, Alt-J

Falling Skies. I'm going to be watching this season's finale a bit later.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Emergency Mine Rescue...of the Chilean miners a couple of years ago.

With Mythbusters on hiatus, I'm mostly watching DVDs-- right now I'm on Firefly, next I plan on Space: Above And Beyond.
    I'm a cynical optimist. I think the only way out is through, but once we get through it'll be better. Very different, but better. Howard Tayler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

"It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Power, Lord Acton says, corrupts. Not always. What power always does is reveal. Robert A. Caro

The Dark Crystal--I can't believe I haven't gotten around to reviewing this yet!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

The Incredible Hulk finally came in the library, I've had a hold on it since May. I like Hulk with Eric Bana, I'm looking forward to seeing what Edward Norton can do when he turns all green and irritable.

Oh, Edward Norton is beautiful at it. I was so sad when he didn't do The Avengers.

"You can't erase icing."

He's a great actor, in Kingdom of Heaven I had no idea he was playing King Baldwin until the end credits. He was also great in The Score and The Illusionist.

also pretty funny as a bent cop in The Invention of Lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Oh, Edward Norton is beautiful at it. I was so sad when he didn't do The Avengers.
    I finally saw "The Incredible Hulk" last week (I still have not seen Bana's "Hulk"). I was quite impressed with Norton's performance but I'm afraid (sorry Gillian!) I preferred Ruffalo's.

I also really liked all the little references to the old "Incredible Hulk" TV show they worked in.

The Dark Crystal--I can't believe I haven't gotten around to reviewing this yet!
    That is one of my favorites!
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tessellate, Alt-J

Did anyone else see "Lego Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Out" on the Cartoon Network last week? Played a little bit with canon, naturally, but was basically set right after "A New Hope" (although Darth Maul was in it). Very cute and funny, and surprisingly irreverent, given that I'm sure it had to be cleared by Lucas.

"Oh, my! Han shot first!"
    "Of course I did. It was me or him. Why wouldn't I?"
    "That is a subject of some debate."

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I finally saw "The Incredible Hulk" last week (I still have not seen Bana's "Hulk"). I was quite impressed with Norton's performance but I'm afraid (sorry Gillian!) I preferred Ruffalo's.

I also really liked all the little references to the old "Incredible Hulk" TV show they worked in.
    I was good to see Lou Ferrigno in both Hulk and The Incredible Hulk.

Mark Ruffalo gives off an unpleasant frat boy vibe no matter what he's in. He was directed well in Avengers, but he was still miscast, unless you actually want Bruce Banner to offer you a beer, which will probably be some awful cheap brand he's drinking because it's ironic.

"You can't erase icing."

I have been watching the Doc Martin Movies. They are vaguely addictive.
    Solfe

Tessellate, Alt-J

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have been watching the Doc Martin Movies. They are vaguely addictive.
    They sound interesting, I think I'll start with Series 1 of the TV show.

I am not sure what to make of it. I started with a movie then started the series. One seems to be based on the other, but I can't figure out which is which. The characters are different in each, while maintaining the same flavor.
    Solfe

Tessellate, Alt-J

Catching up on Game of Thrones. Been watching 3 episodes per night for the last few nights.

Wife and I are loving it. (Edit: but not season 2 so much. It feels like too much is going on (maybe good for a large book series, but not here) and I'm disliking the magic/supernatural stuff increasing. Once one side has the magic floaty smoke demon thing, you wonder what the heck anyone else can do. Presumably that'll all work out, but it's annoying me.))

After that, I've got 4 seasons of Breaking Bad to watch.
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2012-Oct-09 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Edit:
    I don't see any Ice Giants.

The Odd Couple for the first time.

"You can't erase icing."

My wife watches Grey's Anatomy and it is vaguely entertaining, but I think they jumped the shark tank by making the cast air crash survivors. They added Owen Hunt, a military doctor who has seen too much combat and trauma medicine to be completely sane. Post crash, he's the most stable character.

The other show my wife and I watch is Abandoned. I like the cast, they are just a bunch of guys having fun but dislike the way the monetize everything. I really enjoy the exploration and fun that they have searching these abandoned places, but could care less about their bottom line.

Ara Pacis started a Revolution thread and after reading along, I think I will give that show a try. It sounds pretty cool.
    Solfe

Tessellate, Alt-J

I watched The Time Travelers Wife last night, it gets very emotional at the end.

October Sky. Later today, I'll probably get to Niagara--noir with Marilyn Monroe!

"You can't erase icing."

October Sky. Later today, I'll probably get to Niagara--noir with Marilyn Monroe!
    October Sky- Another excellent movie.

I really enjoyed it, and I'm not sure everyone got the things I was most moved by.

"You can't erase icing."

I really enjoyed it, and I'm not sure everyone got the things I was most moved by.
    I love that's it's as much about morality as it is about the four boys getting out of the coal town.

It struck me that it was at least in part about how difficult it can be to be smarter than your parents--and how difficult it can be to have a kid who's smarter than you are. Certainly that principal was used to being smarter than all the students.

"You can't erase icing."

It struck me that it was at least in part about how difficult it can be to be smarter than your parents--and how difficult it can be to have a kid who's smarter than you are. Certainly that principal was used to being smarter than all the students.
    It's interesting how the catalyst of having what was America's greatest enemy at the time, the Soviet Union, put the first satellite into orbit, motivated a lot of young people around the world to get into science and see the world and universe much differently than they had before.

It almost seemed as though movie-Homer, at least, hadn't realized that rocketry was a Thing until Sputnik was there, a naked-eye object overhead.

"You can't erase icing."