Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We can't reach the Moon, but Mars is OK!

Check out this hilarious "press release", co-authored by Dave Cosnette:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/UFORC/fe...ARS/Press.html

It makes one wonder: If NASA was unable to get past those hideous, demonic Van Allen radiation belts to reach the Moon, how does Dave think they'll send a manned ship to Mars to find his imaginary alien civilization? What a looney.

Stories of Martians coming to Earth? Leave it alone Dave - HG Wells did it better in 1897. Now he's surely turning in his grave.

Ya gotta love 'em:
    We cannot ignore the fact that UFO reports increase when Mars is at its closest orbit to Earth.
    Yup! That's an ironclad correlation they've got there.[img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

On 2002-06-05 07:19, Kaptain K wrote:
    Ya gotta love 'em:
    We cannot ignore the fact that UFO reports increase when Mars is at its closest orbit to Earth.
    Yup! That's an ironclad correlation they've got there.[img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    If you'd have a technology that could make an advantage of the fact that Mars and Earth are closest, you wouldn't need to make use of the fact that Mars and Earth are closest.
    If you've so much energy available that you can go in a straight line from Mars to Earth, you wouldn't mind to hose out more fuel when they are not closest.
    I guess, one could call the straight line at opposition a "maximum energy transfer trajectory".
    Okay, maybe if you want to do the straight line at conjunction, you'd even need more energy.
    Especially for your air condition when you make the close Sun fly-by...

Harald

<a name="20020605.4"> page 20020605.4 aka Lunar Data
    MY baINdex
    well? not being a Nasa or even a Space Station fan
    1: it may come as no surprise
    2: that i only express
    3: "DISCONTENT"
    4: with things as thy are
    5: My Big complaint of course
    6: are the lunar rovers
    7: Why oh WHY.. if the got `em there
    8: in the first place .. di the NOT make
    9: "THOSE" remote controlable
    BOO.. # JD2452431 & 13 LAMAT 2 ZOTZ too.
    ok lemme lok about myself
    http://almagest.as.utexas.edu/~rlr/mlrs.html
    its possible to find some LASER moon range
    data from there: but thats "IT" as far as i know? Boo.. {2many2#}

From what I recall, UFO sightings increase when Venus is at its brightest and hence close to Earth. I'm serious about this. What going on is that people mistake Venus for a UFO.

On 2002-06-05 09:18, jrkeller wrote:
    From what I recall, UFO sightings increase when Venus is at its brightest and hence close to Earth. I'm serious about this. What going on is that people mistake Venus for a UFO.
    You may be thinking of times when Venus is most visible--when it is farther from the Sun from our point of view--which means that it is not really at its closest to Earth.

Venus is not at its brightest when it is closest to Earth. There is a trade off between it being larger, and seeing the "back" (non-sunlit) side. And, when it is closer to Earth, it is essentially invisible naked-eye, since it is also so close to the apparent position of the Sun.

At other times, its magnitude is in the range -4 to -4.6, so whether it is on the near side of the Sun or the far side, it appears about the same. When it is farther away, more of it is lit.

I love the name-dropping, though. Like Arthur C. Clarke would have anything to do with these clowns.
    [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

hehe, mistaking me for venus. i love my ufo, its great when i fire the laserbeam at people.

Posted: 2002-06-05 08:04 by kucharek
    If you'd have a technology that could make an advantage of the fact that Mars and Earth are closest, you wouldn't need to make use of the fact that Mars and Earth are closest.
    You are, of course, quite correct. Neither the beginning nor the end point of a minimum energy transfer orbit occurs at the time of minimum seperation. Thanks for expanding my (over simplified) statement.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaptain K on 2002-06-05 15:21 ]</font>

The minimum-energy transfer is the Hohmann transfer, which uses diametrically opposed start and end points. A transfer at minimum separation would require dramatically more delta-v capacity.

Just took a look and noticed the big press release is over a year old. I must have missed the global, worldwide brouhaha over the release of this revolutionary information.

Actually I did not write any of that at all. Chris Montgomery did.
    His organisation UFORCE however,for which I am the UK Director is now heavily involved with the SciFi Channel and we are just cementing an agreement where the international directors of our organisation will be sent and will investigate UFO cases for the channel. We will also be hosts in their forums on UFOs and related subjects.

Oh, the Science Fiction channel.

On 2002-06-06 17:27, Andrew wrote:
    Yeah, the home of John Edwards.

Hey, don't forget Sightings. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Adam

On 2002-06-05 08:19, HUb' wrote:
    <a name="20020605.4"> page 20020605.4 aka Lunar Data
    MY baINdex
    well? not being a Nasa or even a Space Station fan
    1: it may come as no surprise
    2: that i only express
    3: "DISCONTENT"
    4: with things as thy are
    5: My Big complaint of course
    6: are the lunar rovers
    7: Why oh WHY.. if the got `em there
    8: in the first place .. di the NOT make
    9: "THOSE" remote controlable
    BOO.. # JD2452431 & 13 LAMAT 2 ZOTZ too.
    ok lemme lok about myself
    http://almagest.as.utexas.edu/~rlr/mlrs.html
    its possible to find some LASER moon range
    data from there: but thats "IT" as far as i know? Boo.. {2many2#}
    They probably could have made them remotely controllable, but they didn't need to. They had humans there to drive them. I doubt there was much consideration given to having the rovers continue to rove after the astronauts left. Better to leave 'em parked beside the landing sites so they'll be there for the HBs to see when someone goes back.
    Since they allegedly don't leave tracks, it might be hard to find them if they were wandering all over by remote control. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

They probably could have made them remotely controllable, but they didn't need to. They had humans there to drive them. I doubt there was much consideration given to having the rovers continue to rove after the astronauts left. Better to leave 'em parked beside the landing sites so they'll be there for the HBs to see when someone goes back.
    Since they allegedly don't leave tracks, it might be hard to find them if they were wandering all over by remote control. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Well, according to the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal, the rovers would've been made remotely controllable if the money had been there. And apparently it wouldn't have cost much. Although the astronauts were there to drive the rovers around for three days, they used little of the rovers' battery power.

Had a remote control ability been available, the rovers could've been driven to sites the astronauts didn't visit. No sampling, of course, but some useful video.

On 2002-06-06 16:06, cosmicdave wrote:
    Actually I did not write any of that at all. Chris Montgomery did.
    But your name was on it, alongside Montgomery's. On a press release or any other piece of writing, that at least indicates a clear endorsement of content, if not collaboration in the writing. You cannot categorically deny responsibility for the views and beliefs expressed in that document (that is, of course, using the word "document" in its broadest possible sense - it was more like literary diarrhoea).

JB

There are only two things that network is good for: original Star Trek reruns (which generally have more believable science content than anything C. Dave has said), and MST3K, which is infinitely more amusing.

Had a remote control ability been available, the rovers could've been driven to sites the astronauts didn't visit.

They would have just gotten pictures of the stagehands taking down the set. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

On 2002-06-07 00:09, JayUtah wrote:
    MST3K, which is infinitely more amusing.
    Yeah, but I miss Joel and The Mads [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif[/img]

But your name was on it, alongside Montgomery's.

If I had come up with an idea on my own, and if I had put all the work into writing and polishing and publishing it, someone else would get his name on the byline next to mine only over my dead body. And even then it would be iffy.

If C. Dave does not wish his name associated with ideas he doesn't agree with, he should not consent to having his name attached as an author to the documents that embody those ideas. It seems yet another case of Mr. Cosnette wanting the blessings of celebrity without any of the attendant responsibility.

There are only two things that network is good for
    What, have they stopped showing the B5 re-runs?!

MST3K? What's this?

On 2002-06-07 08:42, johnwitts wrote:
    MST3K? What's this?
    Mystery Science Theater 3000! One of the best and most original series to come along in ages.

Basically, they had a cheezy setup where the main character and his robot pals were trapped aboard a satellite and forced to watch bad movies. The tv audience then gets to hear all their sarcastic remarks as they watch it (Think Rocky Horror show if you know what that means). Between segments they also generally had other skits, such as aliens attacking or something. But always goofy.

They even had an MST3K movie. Yes, a theatrical release with a movie inside a movie. It was great.

http://www.scifi.com/mst3000/

In the not-too-distant future--
    Next Sunday A.D.--
    There was a guy named Joel,
    Not too different from you or me.
    He worked at Gizmonic Institute,
    Just another face in a red jumpsuit.
    He did a good job cleaning up the place,
    But his bosses didn't like him So they shot him into space.
    We'll send him cheesy movies,
    The worst we can find (la-la-la).
    He'll have to sit and watch them all,
    And we'll monitor his mind (la-la-la).
    Now keep in mind Joel can't control
    Where the movies begin or end (la-la-la)
    Because he used those special parts
    To make his robot friends.
    Robot Roll Call: (Let's go!)
    Cambot! (Pan left!)
    Gypsy! (Hi, girl!)
    Tom Servo! (What a cool guy!)
    Croooow! (What a wisecracker!)
    If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
    And other science facts (la la la),
    Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show, I should really just relax
    For Mystery Science Theater 3000!"

You won't have seen MST3K if you haven't had access to it via satellite. I have been lucky enough to have seen many episodes that a friend had the good taste to tape when it was being shown. Utterly hilarious! I think my favourite is the "Space Mutiny" one, which causes gagging with laughter when viewed. That, or "Invasion of the Neptune Men" <drifts off into daydreaming about cheesy BW sci-fi films>
    Far better than either Big Brother or the World Cup!

Oh god! Space Mutiny. That's gotta be my favorite too! They actually used old Battlestar Galactica footage in this super-low-budget Canadian drek. And I mean footage of the Galactica itself, claiming it was a completely different ship. Utterly hilarious!

Unfortunately, I lent my copy of it to a friend, and he moved away, never to give it back. I'm kicking myself now.

So, basically, I should be really upset not to have satellite?

MST3K plays on the SciFi network Saturday Mornings. At least in Washington

Quote: 'But your name was on it, alongside Montgomery's. On a press release or any other piece of writing, that at least indicates a clear endorsement of content, if not collaboration in the writing. You cannot categorically deny responsibility for the views and beliefs expressed in that document'

Qoute: 'If C. Dave does not wish his name associated with ideas he doesn't agree with, he should not consent to having his name attached '

So this would be the same case with HJP Arnold who's remarks according to you could have been completely taken out of context in 'DarkMoon'?. Why doesn't he ask Percy and Bennett to withdraw the video then.

Actually, seeming that you are all speculating again, I'll put you right. Mr. Montgomery sent me the photos mentioned and said that he intended to release them with a press release. I commented at the time that I thought they were interesting but that was it. The next thing I know is that this article appears. Its no big deal really, only people like the ones on here would have a problem with it. I guess that he put my name at the bottom because he had sought my thoughts on it.

Simple really.